Monday, 14 September 2009

Homage to Ophelia in an orange dress (plus Q&A!)





















































































































































































Interesting experimentation with the image editing software on my computer. Not sure if I look a little too much like a cardboard cut-out?
Ok, hi everyone. Sorry for slowdown in posts and replying. Blame it all on school and me feeling pretty lousy with a cold. (Ooo-er! nothing to do with this shoot I hope..)
These photos were taken late afternoon last Friday. Another advantage of living in the middle of rural nowhere is all the rivers and streams nearby.. .(rivers and streams= near. Proximity to motorways and civilisation=far!) And we were so desperate to catch those last few rays of sun before it all dissolves into autumn.
So to all you urban street sylish people, I have no choice but to try out my own rural take (complete with hills and sheep!)
Recently, I've been looking at the portrait of 'Ophelia' by Millais. (And I do mean literally looking at it, I have the postcard tacked up on a shelf next to my bed!) I was thinking how interesting it would be to do a kind of watery shoot, especially with a floaty dress.
This particular chiffon number was purchased in Edinburgh in a vintage shop called Godiva, in Grassmarket. I was so surprised at the sale price (£10) that I had to get it. I think it's the really lurid orange 70's colour that did it!
Now,I do have to admit, I did suffer for my art! The water wasn't exactly bath temperature (freezing might describe it a little better- see the picture of me grimacing in between shots.) But the end images really made up for all that. I do feel that they're very ophelia-like.
The converses were from a charity shop, the scarf from my dressing up box (yes, I do still have one! I personally think everyone should..) and the necklaces are all vintage ones from different sources.

Oh,and also a huge thankyou to Jazz of http://jazzlovesyoumore.blogspot.com/ for doing this wonderful portrait of me! I was so flattered when she told me. I love the way she captured the detail here.So huge thanks again.
Oh and one final thing before I go. (Don't worry, I'm nearly finished waffling on about things!) I'm going to be doing a Question and Answer post very soon, so I need some questions! Feel free to ask away...

30 comments:

Pearl Westwood said...

Roz these are so stunning, definately Ophelia. I love the one in the middle of your 'eeek' face, that is suffering for your art! The fourth down is my favourite, I think also a bit Kate Bush x Pearl
http://fashionpearlsofwisdom.blogspot.com/

Ruxandra said...

beautiful photo.and now some questions....
-any character from a book that you could relate with?
-have you ever tried doing something like cooking, knitting or anything not very ordinary between the teenagers?
-any pet?
-siblings?
-dream house?
-3 things you would change about the world nowadays
-5 things you love, 5 you hate and 5 you're craving for:)

Tati said...

I love this shoot!!
Very creative I was thinking about doing an under water one for my blog but i need a special camera for that, and it looks like I may have to wait till next summer to do that! =[
Hmm now a question... how about who your favorite style icons are and who inspires you.
XX

Laura Gerencser said...

Love this photo shoot!! You look great!! Love the one with the Converses!:)

Natalie said...

The one where u are laying down in the converse is my favorite pic of the bunch! soo pretty, looks straight out of a magazine. i like how u sacrificed urself for ur art :) the pics look awesome!

xoxo

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

Dylana said...

Lovely color on that dress!

colormenana.blogspot.com

lisa said...

Hey i have been visiting this blog for a while and love what you are doing. Question - Do you find more vintage online or in store? Thanks. Also feel free to check out my blog at
http://lisa-smalldetails.blogspot.com/

Maverick Malone said...

Great photos! Love the dress and LOVE the converse!

Pearl Westwood said...

Hiya, thanks so much for your comments too, I feel like our blogs are growing up together!
The Chanel ice cream must have been from a google image search I think - though who knows what I was actually looking for!
x

Leproust Vintage said...

I cannot even express to you how beautiful these photos are! You have the most amazing photos! Who takes them?!

Liya said...

holy shet

that photoshoot is friggin fantastic and whimsical

loves

myglitteringcreation.blogspot.com

Jess said...

These pictures are so amazing - totally see the crazy eyes of Ophelia in the third pic!

Lori said...

lovely photos! I love that you're in water- something i've never seen on a blog before!

Lauren said...

These are amazing photographs! Good vintage find in that dress!

x x x

Adya, and Dextere. said...

I love the place your in, very beautiful, and your outfit as well.

www.rubberfashion.blogspot.com

Lions, Tigers and Fashion OH MY! said...

wow!!! awesome photos!!! Love the water shots, at first I thought they were from a magazine!

Vera and Rudy said...

Rudy and Vera
Lovely visiting with you again and again - very comforting, even if a bit freezy when I think about it and I agree with everybody else, the photos are amazing......babi

Rosanna said...

what pretty pictures. that dress is gorgeous too!

www.littlemissdressup.com

xs said...

what an awesome idea! i love the photo concept.

Amelia said...

This is so cool! I've been meaning to shoot in the stream near me, but haven't quite gotten up the courage to get wet yet. We'll see. I love the pose in the first picture.

polka dot (Jill Carin Adams) said...

Wow, Roz, these ARE beautiful! (I was doing the same thing right around this time: had to go for one last swim in the sea - will post about it soon).

I had a lovely idea: if you send me a few of the shots in high res (but compressed so they're not huge files: jpgs but at say a 7 compression) to my email address, I'd love to play around with them in photoshop, make them more Millaisesque : )
Tomorrow LFW starts but today I'm purposely having a quiet day and working my way thru a ton of emails & photos, so it's a good time (or it can wait).

They're all gorgeous but I'd especially like the top, the 5th, 7th, and 12th shots.

It's funny: I had a poster that I took everywhere, in all my various rooms during college (& my first shared apartments off campus) - it was post-Raphaelite, it was probably Millias now that I think of it.

What a great idea for a Q&A, will have a think..

xoxo

Mila said...

WOOOOOOOOW,amazing shots <3

Ash Fox said...

all of your photos are sooooo dreamy. the shot of you floating is unreal.

x

www.tittees.blogspot.com

Lauren said...

I love how you paired those converses with the dress! Also, the scenery of these photos is just gorgeous.

Alice said...

Those photos are stunning - great photography and definitely not like a cardboard cutout! :-)

I'm loving your blog - please follow mine!

www.LittleMissLondon09.blogspot.com

Thanks
x

isabella said...

i like your blog :)

bella
xxx
http://alltheprettyvisitors.blogspot.com/

CHICMUSE said...

LOVIN THOSE PHOTOS. REALLY ORIGINAL.




-
-
XX
CHICMUSE

Coconuts & Coppertone said...

these photos are so wonderful!!

Billie Kinson said...

Love the photos. They also remind me of Kate Bush in her video for Wuthering Heights. It is a compliment...

billiekinson.blogspot.com

Brandy Shaloo said...

Great photos. I like the leopard gloves