Sunday, 8 November 2009

Preaching Vintage Fashion (my first shoot behind the camera)




When my friend Zoe suggested that she'd like to do some posing so that I could take full control of the other side of the camera, it seemed like a great idea. Even better, she agreed to let me style her completely with some of the contents of my wardrobe. Zoe would freely admit that vintage style is not something she would think about choosing herself- but doesn't it suit her?
The whole inspiration for the day was 1940's Hollywood glamour. The dresses, the hats, the make-up. Allthough funnily enough, only one of these dresses is genuine vintage. The grey sleeveless one worn with the two hats came from Beyond Retro. The blue beaded one is second hand Next, the black lace one is from a charity shop and the blue one is thrifted Topshop. But they're all second hand and do have a real vintage look.
The grey top with lace underneath the blue dress was one customised by me, and the tailcoat is a vintage family one. Shoes throughout are some Mary-Janes that unfortunately no longer fit me, so were given to Zoe at the end of the shoot! All hats, necklaces, watches and rings are various vintage pieces either found in charity shops, market stalls or are from various relatives.
I think that Zoe looks really gorgeous, and am quite proud myself with my first foray into being the person doing the photography- a role that I definitely want to explore a lot more!

Running out of time now, sunday night homework and all that jazz. So I will defer my latest 'debate' until the next post. Hope you enjoy the photos.




25 comments:

Jazz said...

These are absolutely stunning. You definitely have a good eye for detail and composition.
Very talented (:

Jazz xx

Tati said...

wow these are stunning. you are a very good photographer. My favorite picture I think would have to be the first one because of the matching hat and lipstick. Nice coordinating!
XX

theTrendyDwarf said...

Your friend looks like a model just like you do! I love ALL of your pictures! The idea of posing and taking pictures of the grandfather clock was super creative and outstanding! You never fail to take incredible pictures! You also styled her wonderfully. I don't think there is a single shot in this post that I do not love.
check out my hundredth post!
http://thetrendydwarf.blogspot.com/

Raez said...

great work, dear! the model looks fab, and you did a great job. seriously dig the photos though, you should do it more often!

xx raez

Fashion4Life said...

they are great(: you did a wonderful job, both with the styling, and photography!

www.getobsessed.blogspot.com

Laura Gerencser said...

Love the photos!! I really like the black lace dress!!!

Jacqueline said...

I love the photos. You are a great stylist!

www.FashionSnag.com

jolie jamie said...

Beautiful photos and styling!


www.joliejamie.blogspot.com

lamodedejuline said...

This is great, you did a wonderful job.

candy said...

Cute photos, your friend is very pretty and i especially love the crimson hat :)

Dylana said...

You are an amazing photographer! Very creative! This look like a real editorial! Great job!

colormenana.blogspot.com

Jowy said...

ALL THAT LACE.. TRULY GORGEOUS!!

One Love,
Jowy
www.iseejanemary.blogspot.com

June Paski said...

love these photos sooo much, you great photographer :), I love all ur vintage dress, you have great vintage dress collection :)

xxxx

Lolitta said...

you did a wonderful job on the photos!

http://loveyourfabulousself.blogspot.com/

Antonia said...

Gorgeous pictures! That crimson cocktail hat is gorgeous - I'm obsessed!

x Antonia
WWW.LIVEGLAMORDIE.COM

Miss Red said...

gorgeous pictures! my favorites are the mirror one and the ones with the red hat.

J for Joyce said...

classy for sure

http://sayang-j.blogspot.com/

polka dot (Jill Carin Adams) said...

Oh Roz, what a gorgeous shoot! What a good friend Zoe is for risking her health for art's sake (probably how you got your cold, too, no doubt ; )
But so worth it! I love all the shots - hard to decide my favourite, but perhaps that customized blue dress, in the road shot?

Looking forward to the debate continuing... will send you an email as well. jCx

Natalie said...

very pretty ^_^

and also....
tag you're it! please take a look at my cassie's therapy video post! you've been tagged!

Bethany said...

Great shoot! I LOVE the styling. The red lips add a great element as well.

stylishimpressions.blogspot.com

Sofi said...

These pictures are amazing! The compostition is great and like you said, vintage really suits your friend. I was great to see some of your own pictures, which were beautiful:) great job!
-^..^-
sofi
ps, my friend (tati of sticky note) and I just started a new blog soley about fashion and we are really inspired by you! Thanks for the inspiration and wonderful blog!:)

_nina_malvada_ said...

amazing shoes,dress and hats..

nice blog :)

Ruxandra said...

You are amazing.You cathed the light so beautiful, and i must admit she is a gorgeus model.I love the theme of the photoshoot, i love everthing about these photos.

valncami said...

just fantastic i love these photos. the hats are so cool with the veil things! i'm in love with that picture of your friend holding the umbrella. great job!!

xx, camilla
abutterflybyday.blogspot.com

Sylvie said...

She looks so gorgeous and strong on the one in the roads between the grassy forests. She looks like such a quiet super star with the wind trailing behind her in the coat!