Saturday, 26 December 2009

Boxing day brooches & baubles

Hello to everyone, and a (belated) happy Christmas to everyone celebrating it!
I particularly enjoy this time of year because we celebrate on Christmas Eve in addition to Christmas day. My dad is half Czech (which makes me quarter Czech, quarter North American and half English), so we follow the east european traditions too.
Another great family tradition of ours is to use the same decorations on the tree that we've been hanging up since I was little. We have  homemade angels, lopsided, cross-eyed reindeer, traditional czech figures, tacky icicles etc.. But what inspired this particular post is the copious amount of glitterballs we have dangling on the branches. This inspired me to dig out all the diamante brooches I could find, to shoot in front of the christmas tree.
This grey jumper is a wool Jaeger one I found in a local charity shop. I seem to keep coming across beautiful vintage Jaeger pieces, it really is one of my favourite british design makes. Most of the very sparkly diamante brooches belonged to my maternal great-granny. She collected costume jewellery as well as some spectacularly awful plastic beads and brooches! (Though even they have their own nostalgia value in their own sweet way.) So I have her to thank for my absolutely massive accessories collection. The earrings were part of a set given to me for christmas.
I also got a few other vintage bits and pieces that I'm looking forward to sharing on this blog as soon as possible. As well as some amazing books on fashion, including one showing all the drawn vogue covers from 1910 to the 1940s, I'm also starting to make my way through the classic films I received. The Red Shoes is a cinematic masterpiece that I recommend to everyone. It may sound cliched, but it is completely breathtaking- especially the 17 minute ballet sequence.
I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays. I know I'm trying to make them last as long as possible! I'm filling up as much time as I can with drawing, making and customising, including having made my mum's christmas present (I customised a t-shirt with green and cream buttons and an appliqued felt and silk pocket.)
I just wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone who commentedon my last post, I really appreciated it! I'm so sorry that I haven't replied to many people recently, but I'm working on it..
I'm off to watch The Duchess, so goodbye!

22 comments:

deadweight on velveteen said...

your christmas tree sounds wonderful. every year my family has new decorations and in a different colour scheme, its not nearly as meaningful. Love your brooches too, the portraits you've shared here are gorgeous :)

girl by the whirlpool said...

gorgeous pictures. the sweater and brooches are so 40s! great look :)

AVY said...

I was in Prague recently, I loved it.

daisymay said...

Aww all those lovely brooches, i adore vintage diamante brooches. I have bought 2 stunning ones for my wedding (although I only need one I just couldn't decide which one I was going to use till recently)

Teresa said...

Love that eyeliner and those broaches are beautiful!

http://www.invasionista.com

Dylana said...

So happy that you enjoyed your holidays! The details on your top are stunning!


colormenana.blogspot.com

Natalie said...

i really love ur sweater with the brooches! soo cute and quirky! :)

xoxo

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

June Paski said...

love ur brooches, they're very beautiful
and you look stunning, love ur make up

Happy holidays!!

xxx

Tabea said...

lovely pictures, the brooches look amazing on your shirt.

Pearl Westwood said...

Happy Christmas Roz, the brooches look lovely x

3-georgiia said...

such chrismassy photos! love them :)

raita 2 said...

ooh! i love your style and you are very beautiful =)

http://www.raita2.blogspot.com/

Iva said...

WOW!! I love love love your sweater and brooches!!

Ash Fox said...

stunning! so beautiful. happy holiday season!

polka dot said...

Belated Merry Christmas to you too, Roz! I love that look, what a clever idea, by combining all the brooches together like that it gives the impression of a really beautifully designed jumper. (& I love that it's Jaeger: one of my New Year's Resolutions is to get that Jaeger shoot, starring you, with little or no make-up and natural light!)

It's funny, being an American living in England, I always assume I'm the only 'foreigner' and yes, no one is 100% English (even the most English people, their families came from somewhere at some point: even the Royal family, actually.) You look so quintessentially English.

The way your shoots are such a family effort - the stories of your mom gave you this, or this was your gran's - makes it so special to me. I must get hold of the Red Shoes: before blogs were born, I used to shoot (in film) a pair of red high heel vintage shoes - classic - took them everywhere & used them as a prop in hedges, on architecture, at the beach.. people always said 'you must see that film'. I was even writing my own screenplay/novel about them.

Sorry such a long post - my husband's on his way back from the gym & this is the one blog I've had a chance to see! FEEL BEETTER. xx

Ruxandra said...

That was such a brilliant idea:)You look amazing, you can beat every model.Now, this is all about naturallity.You are beautiful.I love your shots and your ideas, and i so wish we were neighbours:P A late Merry Christmas:)

Belarusachka said...

I like very much your outfit.
It is so elegant!
Have a nice New Year and Happy Christmas!

Sylvie said...

Your hair and make-up both look so pretty. I love seeing your Christmas tree, too!

Luczis said...

I love your make-up!!
You look stunning!

JMay said...

Adorable, yah so I'm pretty much in love with your blog!

xo.

Misha said...

I bet you hear this all the time, but my gosh you look just like Eva Green!

grangrangran said...

I love the sweater - there is something about such finely spun wool, the quality and durability - you can always tell.
The tradition of celebrating christmas on christmas eve isn't specific to eastern europe, in this case Britain is the exception. The entirety of northern, eastern and, as far as I know, southern Europe keeps with this tradition. Though as they are mainly catholic and I'm Scandinavian, and I know at least Spain celebrates both the 24. and the sixth of January... well, traditions. They aren't as uniform as would be practical(ly boring) :) .