Monday, 21 December 2009

In The Bleak Midwinter- Silk layering


It's finally snowed here in the Midlands, although there has only been a sprinkling over the gardens and nearby hills. But there was enough to get outside with a camera!
So, now to the title. Today is the 21st of December, making it exactly midwinter. Or the winter solstice, whatever you want to call it. And it was certainly the weather for the day.
Not too far away are two beautiful lakes that make for a wonderful walk. And on a day such as today, we had to take advantage of the amazing conditions. Though just for the record, no, I don't actually tramp around the countryside in high heels and floor length dresses! My trusty rucksack filled with vintage goodies and other niceties is dragged along too.
The particular things taken along today were lots of lovely silk items. The cream dress is silk (I think) from a flea market, the long shirt dress is a silk Laura Ashley piece that my mum found in a charity shop ages ago. The cream blouse was my 92 year old great grandma's which she had when she was young. It was then passed on to my mum when she was in her late teens, and then it finally found its way to me about 2 years ago. The brown leather belt is a Hilfiger found in a charity shop a couple of days ago- I love the stitching detail around the edge.The boots are brown suede ones that used to be my mum's. The furry hat is making another guest appearance after featuring in my coats post. The necklace is a thrifted one, the silk scarf too. I know that these layers of silk don't look very warm. But underneath that I had another 4 layers, including skinny trousers and tights!
The lake was completely frozen over apart from a patch where all the swans were happily sitting so I managed to got some lovely pictures of them afterwards.

I realised its been a while since I last started a debate, so I've decided to start one inspired by a question posed by Tavi from Style Rookie. She asked about what kept you inspired and made you love fashion.
This started me thinking. I feel that being more confident in fashion has made me an all round more confident person. That's one of the reasons (among many) that I feel that fashion, in its many forms is a definite and strong part of my life. I have no problem walking down a rural high street in a fifties tea dress, a vintage coat and a big floppy hat. I don't mind what people think of the fact that I read classics, spend my spare time doing creative projects and don't watch TV very often. Being confident in one area of life has increased more confidence in others.
I also realised that fashion is something that can let you blend in with the crowd or completely stand out. And for some people, either approach can give them more confidence.
So what do you think? Has fashion increased your confidence or taught you something? What's your general opinion on this topic? I'd love to hear about your views and ideas.

Thanks to dad for wielding the camera.
And a final thanks to those who commented and responded to my latest installment of blogger designs, I really appreciated it!

39 comments:

J'aime said...

You know when you say the Midlands, you mean England Midlands? Because I live in the Midlands, and I've see no damn snow! Burton-on-Trent! You must live in the lucky part. By the way, you must mention to me where you got your hat I love it, and I'm on a voyage on find the best hats. The outfit is very eccentric, and for the first time, the colour Brown actually works.! I love the dress, and the cardigan aswell. Nice tones, cream and brown are. And the boots, and your hair looks imaculate! It goes very well with the look. Good scenery aswell.

J'aime

Sylvie said...

First photo=gorgeous. Looks straight out of a magazine! This is such a wonderfully timeless outfit.

Out of Time Girl said...

Amazing! Your photos and look are so inspiring!

All the best,
http://katarinadacic.blogspot.com/

shoeless simone said...

Your hat and hair are so beautiful! Your blog is wonderful.

-Shoeless Simone

Dylana said...

I love the nude color here!

colormenana.blogspot.com

Lemondrop Marie said...

The photos are gorgeous, the colors are amazing! And the silk texture looks so pretty against the natural background! Your dad did great!
I think fashion, and fashion blogs, have really increased my confidence to try something new and different or to embrace vintage styles when I find the ones I love.
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

Dreamy said...

mmm gorgeous! love your look.

Zhcsyra hp said...

classic photos^^
wwwtariarizona.blogspot.com

Natalie said...

so beautiful, the last photo is my fave! ur hair is looking gorgeous as ever! :)

xoxo

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

beautiful photos
the snow and the lakes look gorgeous.
fashion is an interesting thing. It depends how you take it. Some people use fashion to judge others, and their lack of style, but for many it is empowering and provides a way to show their spirit and individuality. I think it depends how you interpret fashion. Is fashion your own style or can you be 'fashionable' by simply following the trends?

these-colored-shadows.blogspot.com/

Kassie said...

I think this is one of the most beautiful outfits I have seen in the blogging world ever. Its just absolutley stunning in every way. The blouse is gorgeous and I'm a sucker for anything passed down. All of the elements tie together beautifully.


Stolen Stiletto

Amelia said...

Wow, this color scheme is gorgeous! I love how light it is.

Sofie Marie said...

Beautiful outfit! And wonderful photos too,your blog is very inspiring.You are definatley right about confidence,I feel on top of the world if I'm wearing something I love and think I look good in.I couldn't care less if the next person thinks I look obscure.....I just feel confident in myself.I feel proud of the outfit I've created, and always feel years older and stronger in my favourite clothing,as if theres a wall between me and everyone else.Not a bad wall though.If I am wearing something I dislike,I will feel uncomfortable in myself,and I think thats what its all about....being comfortable,confident and happy in what you wear even if its not breaking boundaries.
Sofie x
onetoomanywishes.blogspot.com

Tasha Gregson said...

Amazing :) These shots are beautiful, like something out of a magazine. You have great style and your dad is a good photographer :)

xx

heroine temptation said...

i really like tha whole look
xo xo natalia

Mary Jane said...

wow! you look gorgeous! the outfit is very well put together even though its realy hard to create a look like that and make it look good! great job! :D

http://mary-jane-girl.blogspot.com/

Elizabeth Ruby said...

Gorgeous outfit!
LOVE your boots and of course the snow. It has snowed loads where I am as well and I get so excited about it!
xx

styleodyssey said...

this nude/taupe color on you is perfect. and i am still in awe of your lovely hair!

that crystal clear blue sky makes your mid-winter look not so bleak in the photos. in fact, it looks exactly like ours in the caribbean.

fashion has definitely helped me to feel more confident, particularly when i was your age. i was quite shy, and didn't have much money for shopping, so i wore my mom's vintage finds, literally from our attic, altering things as needed. other kids thought it was a bit odd, but looking back, i felt pretty, stylish, worldly and confident in my mom's beautiful clothes from a by-gone era.

AVY said...

You look like a fairy, so pretty.

Style Artisan said...

This is a truly stunning post. Not only is the styling exceptional, but the camera loves you. I am curious as to whether you have considered modeling? In my opinion, you have the looks and the poise to excel!

Jasmine said...

I really like your blog, some lovely ideas on here :)

Katie Lea said...

Ohh i definitely believe that fashion has increased my confidence. I live in the middle of corn town where no one really wears much outside of uggs and northfaces so I've stood out from time to time.

-Katie
ItsMyMakeover.com

daisymay said...

you look awesome! Im in wales and we got very little snow in cardiff!! boo!!

cody said...

aww..love your outfit!!
gorgeous hair.

∆∆cody
codyjune.blogspot.com

Francheska said...

I love the layering in your outfit. that hat is so cute and your hair is just incredible!!!!!!! Merry Christmas :) x

zoë said...

third photo up from the bottom = MAGIC. haha (: 1) you're gorgeous 2) what camera do you use? 3) i LOVE your style (: but seriously, all our snow's melted! i got so damn excited when it started snowing on thursday [end of school, wtf?] and now it's pretty much all gone. boo.

http://beautifullyphotographic.blogspot.com/

zoë said...

woah, totally forgot about the debate aspect. i've always had quite a big personality, and generally pretty sociable, but two years ago my parents began an extremely messy divorce, which is ongoing. i think it was very soon after that began that i really discovered 'fashion'. i started mooching about, trying to find interesting little vintage boutiques, and i began to develop a style. i think finding something stable and having control over who i am through the very public statement of fashion was essential for me, or i'd definitely be in a straight jacket somewhere (; it was photography that really pulled me back though, letting people [literally] see my view was liberating.

http://beautifullyphotographic.blogspot.com/

Jay said...

I love this, so wintery.
Fashion has made me more confident, I think. When you're wearing something you love, you glow. So I try to only have things in my wardrobe that I love, now. I think it's important that those of us who experiment with fashion continue to do so, because it's also an exploration of self.

Fashion Nicotine said...

Beautiful pictures especially the last one!!

teri seaglass said...

I didn't know silk could be so pretty and updated! GOOOOD JOBBB! I also love your photography, when you take pictures of your friends. You are so gorgeous, I love your style!

I'd be honored if you'd check out my blog:
tintedseaglass.blogspot.com

Leslee said...

I'm so happy to have come across your blog, you've got inspiration oozing out from every post. x) Happy Holidays.

Camilla said...

awesome blog! xxx
Camilla

Rainbowpavingstones.blogspot.com

Fuksjanna said...

You look so beautiful! I love your outfit, fur hat is amazing & the whole styling is very oryginal!

ps.Merry Christmas:)

jganolik said...

Gorgeous photographs, and even though I am not a huge fashion buff, I certainly think that it is an effective way of expressing personality in a visible way, and also in boosting confidence. I mean, that's why it always feels good to look good when you're having a bad day. Hope you have a happy christmas!

Ann said...

amazing photos and beautiful long hair <33

Lauren said...

love the hat - you wear it so well! your outfits are always so inspiring.

The F Word Online said...

wow this outfit ! I perused through your other photos as well and I'm really loving this blog of yours. If it's okay with you I'm going to link your blog so that I can come by more often. Slash I hope you had an amazing Christmas !

xx lue

Valencia Lia said...

I really do enjo the midwestern look here! You are always creative with your outfits<3

Gossip_Glamour said...

So cute Girl ! ;)

xxx___