Wednesday, 16 December 2009

Winter Wrapping

For starters, an explanation for the very long space inbetween blog posts recently- I've been quite literally rushed off my high heel clad feet (only around the house of course- what better way to do homework than when you're in a fifties tea dresses and huge cardigans?) in the past two weeks. Christmas is looming its festive head, and the pressure of making presents and typing up tedious essays and end of term assignments has grabbed all my time.. But I'm back, for at least today! And hopefully once the holidays start then there'll be lots more blogging to be done.

Last weekend I found this great faux fur hat in one of my favourite charity shops, which gave me the perfect justification to lug around two big coats and some heels on a family walk in the hills... This is a spot that has been frequented by us many times over the years, and what I love about it is how one minute you are following a path in the middle of nowhere and the next you are confronted by a TV mast towering on the crown of a hill. What a great contrast.

The vintage black coat was bought at a flea market stall, and is the only real winter coat I am willing to wear all the time for actual warmth. The trapeze shape is beautiful and I love the detailing of the wool. The matching hat was given to me by my paternal Grandmother. Who doesn't love a floppy hat? The brooch was also hers.
The rusty red coat is my 92 year old great-grandma's and is the last truly vintage item she had in her wardrobe. Just donated to me. I believe it was worn at my mother's christening. Again, very warm- the way coats used to be made to last (though the sleeves are far too short for me). The shoes are from a charity shop. Unfortunately, they look fantastic but are the most uncomfortable things to walk in ever! Both pairs of gloves are family donated. (Another great-granny's, along with the brooch) The dress in both of them is from Beyond Retro. I've just re-discovered it for the second time as it was skulking in the back of my wardrobe for about 3 months.

I'm now off to finish off my art project due in tomorrow (textiles of course!), so good night!

31 comments:

3-georgiia said...

i love this shoot, your whole look is just amazing!:)x

Jacqueline said...

You have great coats. Missed ya! xoxo

www.FashionSnag.com

Nereida said...

I love your hats & shoes, they're so cute!! XOXO

Laura Gerencser said...

Love the photos! I completely agree about the coats and quality. It's hard to get a coat that is made well, and if you find one, it's likely to be very expensive!:(

Lemondrop Marie said...

The floppy hat is amazingly gorgeous on you- made just for you! Love these pictures, so pretty and artistic! Nothing beats a vintage coat.
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

Raez said...

amazeddddd. i love your fur hat and that great wooly coat;)

xx raez

AVY said...

So pretty. Love the black hat.

Dylana said...

I love both coats so much! That red one is a beautiful color!

colormenana.blogspot.com

Natalie said...

i am in love with the red coat and the lipstick!! such pretty photographs! :))

re: and wow, u r only 14! u def. will be getting more modeling work, u r already so good at posing! :)))

xoxo

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

MellJBrown said...

love the first phot! you have such a nice profile
and the one in the red coat where your holding the fence is gorgeous. your photos keep getting better
nice work!
-mell
http://fashionfruitt.blogspot.com

Zhcsyra hp said...

terrific pictures ^^
wwwtariarizona.blogspot.com

thatsorad said...

DUDE! that red jacket is so awesome!!!!!! :) Hope you are having an awesome Holiday!

Iji said...

You style is so cool and you manage to model you clothes really well.
I live in the uk too :)

I would really appreciate it if you follow my blog. I culd do with some followers :)

www.lifewithiji.blogspot.com

Iji

Pearl Westwood said...

Love both sets, really lovely coat and hat combos. I just got a similar blond faux fur hat from ebay - love it! x

Sher said...

Gosh, you really need to get make modelling a career! You're such a natural, stunning pics!! Love your grandma's red vintage coat:)

xx

Tati said...

wow
love the post
i always love what you do
cannot wait for the holidays as well
come check out material evidence later for some christmas time shoot
XX

NiftyThriftyBeth said...

When I started looking at these pictures I thought they were taken from an editorial in a magazine. They're beautiful!

kendal croix said...

love love love that all black outfit.

polka dot said...

Oh, Roz, both looks are gorgeous, but I'm extra partial to the all black. I've also got the chills because I was just thinking the other day (possibly at the same time you were shooting this) at what point did I give away my lovely step grandmother Martha's coats, and to where? She - well later, I - had that exact black coat, 3/4 length sleeves, the same shape.. and I was so regretting I ever gave it away, as it had lived in our childhood walk in closet that my dad had built, lined with cedar, which smelled so lovely & repelled moths. Then it had lived with me all those years in NYC.. wouldn't it be wild if somehow that coat ended up in a UK charity shop & you now have my deceased step grandmother's old coat??

Hope u aced textile project & are having a delightful pre-Christmas time Roz! xoxo

Vicki said...

hey my dear, ive been the same as u so busy recently! only just catching up on all our previous posts now! love the london calling post! :) love the black coat in the these pics!
Merry Christmas! xo
magpie-girl.blogspot.com

Amelia said...

The first picture is absolutely gorgeous! I'm totally in love with that first hat. Lovely coats, too :)

Mary Jane said...

how do you always manage to look soooo adorable!!! you have a very chic style, i love it!

http://mary-jane-girl.blogspot.com/

valncami said...

Wow,what amazing coats I love them both and the hats are perfect with them. Great styling!
XX
abutterflubyday.blogspot.com

The Owl's Closet said...

wow, these looks are amazing! i love ur pictures and style:D the first look is definitely my favorite:) just found ur blog through natalie off duty. great blog!:)

TheOwlsCloset.blogspot.com

Made You Look Today said...

That black hat is so pretty!

Danielle said...

These pictures are absolutely gorgeous! You're beautiful and have a very lovely sense of style. I'm following your blog now!


http://antiquatedtreasures.blogspot.com

beingdena said...

You are stunning, I'm left speechless. love your whole look. x

Valencia Lia said...

You blow me away again with your outfits!! I love them all so much!

Those 2 coats are just so perfect:) Reminds me of the 50s when the ladies will go for cocktail parties.

Ruxandra said...

You see, i can not help not looking and reading each and every post that i've missed.When i saw the first photograph of this one, i said to myself how great it would look on a magazine's cover.Then, i discovered others amazing photographs.Simply breathtaking.I have a question for you though...i don't know if you by any chances wear glasses, but i do.And, most of the times, i try getting rid of them when it's time to take a photograph.Yet, i remain with some signs...anyway...Do you have any tip for good angles of taking photographs when wearing glasses?Thanks.Take care:)

The Stylish Wanderer said...

Oh my gosh. Youre profile shot, the first picture, is simply stunning.

xo

The Stylish Wanderer said...

*your