Wednesday, 13 January 2010

Ice Queen at dusk


As you can probably tell from the photos, it is still very much snowy here. I now have four blankets on my bed and my favorite (ie- warmest) thing to do is sit by the fire reading Jane Eyre.
This shoot kind of follows on from the last post. In this one it was a very 'Ice Queen'-ish mood, and this reminded me of the White Witch from Narnia. So two different characters from C S Lewis' chronicles in consecutive posts! I made a snow throne (complete with icicles from decoration) this evening, which would have been so perfect for shooting with this outfit.. Never mind.
Unfortunately the light was already fading by the time we got outside. We had had to wait until there finally was a break in the snow so that it didn't get on the lens. My feet got thoroughly soaked and I was rather cold, but it was worth it! You may notice the strange looking lines seemingly coming out of my head in one photo. No, I was not trying to send thoughts by the power of telepathy, I was just very fortuitously standing in front of a telephone pole! I quite like the effect actually.
The long glittery skirt is a 'miss moneypenny' vintage seventies one that was bought from a charity shop. I love wearing floor length skirts, there is something so glamorous about them. While writing this I am currently wearing another one, with checkered white, grey and black squares on it. Longer skirts are quite a rare sight now, unless it is for evening- but I wear them all the time!
The white lace bodice, which has been featured before, was inherited from my great-grandmother. The amazing thing is that this bodice has been worn by four generations of women in our family, me being the latest. I find that clothes like these are definitely the most special.
The little woollen top with a  collar underneath is a thrifted piece 'appropriated' from my mum. The silver shoes are Betty Jackson, also from a charity shop. They are one of those pairs that just tend to look so much better when worn- which unfortunately doesn't happen enough! The furry hat was bought in a Bristol charity shop a few weeks ago. The socks and long evening gloves were both for christmas. The necklace was inherited. The silver bangles are victorian, and the largest one was a present to my mum on her 21st birthday.
The beautiful brooch is vintage Christian Dior. Let me explain the story behind this gorgeous piece...
I have a big box under my bed filled with all my customising and sewing things. Scraps of fabric, netting, material and old junk jewellery. A lot of these pieces are inherited from my maternal great-grandmother who collected costume jewellery. I was given a shoe box of these things when I was about eight, and used a few bits and bobs over the years but never really took great notice of them. Then about a year ago I decided to clear out and looked through the contents. Stunned doesn't begin to describe it! There was this brooch, nestled among seventies plastic strings of beads and sixties minimal white necklaces. Most of the things have now been relocated into my permanent accessories collection, with this brooch taking pride of place!

I suppose I am very lucky with my inherited pieces, as both sides of the family are hoarders who kept everything! My paternal grandmother with her pieces from when she was an actress, my grand dad who kept all my great-granny's things, and my mum who is a former drama teacher ("Oooh, I'll get this fifties tea dress for 20p from a jumble sale because it might be useful in a play") and an avid thrift shopper!

I'd also like to say that I recently had my four hundreth follower! Thank you so much to every one of you who has taken the time to look at, comment or follow my blog. It really means a lot.

63 comments:

Jacqueline said...

I adore how you layered that white lace top over the other top. That long skirt is so glittery and divine and the hat just 'tops' the whole outfit off. You are looking gorgeous! xoxo

www.FashionSnag.com

♥Lola said...

Gorgeous! I love the lace and pearls :)

M. said...

gorgeous as always!

lovelove, M.
http://marissaexplains.blogspot.com

Silverdust said...

Your blog made my day. I love the fur hat! It reminds me of the hats they wear in Russia.

http://wildwildwind.blogspot.com/

The Searched & Found said...

That IS a lucky break with that beautiful brooch! I know when my great grandmother switched apartments she gave me and my sister a lot of beautiful handbags!

And you poor thing - that must have been FREEZING taking those pictures. But thanks for your dedication to this blog. I just found out about it yesterday but love it!

Blade said...

My dear you are absolutely gorgeous

Blade

http://theubranvogue.blogspot.com

New York Candid Street Fashion

Eleanor said...

I love these pictures you did today!
They are stunning and truly do carry on your Narnia vision.

When my paternal grandmother passed,my father offered me all of her wares. Sterling silver flatware sets, silver serving pieces, a wonderful wooden purse shaped like the hull of a ship that my grandfather (a mariner) made for her to resemble their boat that was named for her and even a small log that was a piece of my greatgrandmother's log cabin in the 1800's.
Wonderful treasures that I appreciate more than words can say!
It's nice to know other people appreciate the past as well!
Well done Roz!

http://shoppingthecloset.blogspot.com

Lemondrop Marie said...

You are fortunate to have such lovely things passed down to you! The photos are gorgeous. I love to stand next to lampposts in my blog pics and pretend to wait for the Empress to come snatch it up. I think I've over-read the series.
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
January Charmed bracelet giveaway!

The Bambina said...

I love this! The skirt and the hat really look beautiful together.

Ash Fox said...

you look soo stunning in every shot. i love the russian vibe!

Bruna said...

Your brooch is amazing! I love your pictures :)
xx
Bruna

Bec said...

Hi Roz, I discovered your blog recently and love all your outfits and photos, especially these last two Narnia themed ones! I'm reading Jane Eyre at the moment and liking it so far. I love all you charity shop finds (in Australia we call them Op Shops). Op Shopping is a hobby of mine and I write a blog about it =) Looking forward to your next post

kc said...

Lovely! I love the fur hat and the gloves especially. I agree with the floor length skirts. I'd read Jane Eyre by the fire place too if I had a fire place. :(

Raez said...

this is glorious! i love the fur hat with the long hem! so chic, my dear:)

xx raez

Dylana said...

That dress is wonderful!

Saoirse said...

You are just too beautiful! lovely lovely pieces.
(you should model, you know . . .)
xxx

Natalie said...

beautiful! i love how u wear all the clothes inherited from your family members!

xoxo

natalie

daisymay said...

How very chic! You look awesome in the snow! You are so lucky to have had horders in the family, I have very little from either side of my family because my mother is a perpetual organizer and spring cleaner, meaning most stuff gets thrown/charity shopped before I get to nab it!

Is said...

lovely lovely lovely

June Paski said...

great outfits, very classic and chic, you look like rusian girls :)

xxx

ThatGirl39 said...

Just wanted to say what amazing photo's you have on your blog, I found you via Atlantis Home. I love your sense of style and wish I could be as creative.. fantastic!

Kiyo said...

You really do look like an Ice Queen, these photographs are gorgeous!
Love you blog :)

polka dot said...

Oh, Roz, absolutely gorgeous! The mix of white lace & the Russian fur hat and all that snow.. man you do suffer for your art ; )

I remember reading that Kate Hepburn got a really bad eye condition from 'falling' into the canals in Venice during filming for a film...forget which one.

I, too, come from a long line of hoarders. But alas we also tend to be pretty disorganised about where we keep things. And I'm married to someone who is constantly throwing things out. Kind of like Laura's mom come to think of it!

Viktoria with a K said...

Beautiful brooch!

NiftyThriftyBeth said...

gorgeous look, my favourite that you've ever done, actually!

Fashion Chalet said...

You've got amazing style!

You also remind me of both Mischa Barton (when she had darker hair) and Winona Ryder. SO PRETTY! :)




xx

Kennedy said...

these pictures are beautiful! i'm so glad to have found your blog! i'm following you now <3

The Trendy Fashionista said...

I really love this pictures. they are gorgeous.

-The Trendy Fashionista
http://thetrendyfashionista.blogspot.com

Pearl Westwood said...

Roz you really are dedicated to your blog, I am such a wuss and cant stand to leave the house with out thousands of layers!! This outfit is so elegant, and I love the fairy princess make up too. I forget how young you are sometimes, as your styling is so sophisticated. The way you work with the vintage pieces is worthy of a style editor with years of experience. Finding your brooch must have been like winning the lottery, I am so pleased for you!!Have a great week, Pearl x

ItsHER92 said...

Another stunning post Roz :)
I love your outfit and your shoes are AMAZING :) I love them, I have similar ones in gold. But a soft gold not a shiny tacky gold. . . I love your outfit and I think the setting really helps to reflect the light which in turn helps to highlight your face. Love it. x x x

Jay said...

Inherited pieces are the best, you feel so special wearing them, I find.
And also - you are stunning. Please pursue modeling.

the style crusader said...

so lucky to have gotten so many amazing pieces handed down. that is truly special. xx

3-georgiia said...

yet again another amazing shoot, love it :) xx

Eli said...

I love your photos, they are really special. I also love your outfits, very chics.
Congratulation for your blog
Xo
http://timetimetravelers.blogspot.com/

SJ said...

What an amazing post! I was introduced to your blog the other day and I am hooked now.

I started a blog recently, check it out: www.pearledpenguin.blogspot.com
(if you have time)

I am in love with long skirts too!
They are beautiful and you certainly know how to wear them

Leproust Vintage said...

Gorgeous as always!! I swear that all of your blog photos could be right out of a magazine editorial!

Kait said...

Just found your blog and I am in love. I did a little feature of you on my blog. Come check it out!
kaitmoss.blogspot.com

Carly Jane said...

Love all of your shoots, I have a vintage lace top thats very similar to yours, although it's a tank top. Keep up the amazing blog.

Carly xx

I'm a new blogger so your feedback would be fab! Thanks.

www.dressedupdown.blogspot.com

Joanne said...

Such a pretty outfit! The lace bodice, the brooch and the hat are so wonderful! It's so cool how the bodice has been passed down from generation! Narnia is awesome. :)

Lauren said...

i love the bracelets over the gloves. clever.

Mandi said...

You are very lovely. So glad I stopped by to see the blog everyone has been talking about. :) I am also reading Jane Eyre right now. Sigh.

Mish Dish said...

So beautiful. I love the layering of textures and how you play with proportions. Love it. xo Mish

http://www.themishdish.blogspot.com

calicalicali said...

Your blog is magical and I adore it.

BTW - you remind me a little of Bond girl Vesper Lind, I think the actress' name is Eva Green. Pretty girl!

valncami said...

Hello Roz, We gave you an award for being one of our most favorite blogs. Come visit us to see.

We love all your shoots!

XX
Camilla

abutterflybyday.blogspot.com

O'Style said...

Woww wonderful pics!!!

xx

Delightfully Tacky said...

You're inspiring me to get out of my house and out into the snow to take my photos! Lovely, as always!

mariel elisa said...

that hat is absolutely fabulous

Another's Treasure said...

I just found your blog, and I love it! Love that you have thrifted finds :) You would like my thrifting blog- I find all sorts of neat things :)

isanotherstreasure.blogspot.com

-Amanda

Rose said...

oh gosh, ive only just come across your blog. Your outfits are amazing, and you are so pretty. The snow is certainly a great backdrop for photos.
Im looking forward to your next posts!

Rose

Ilse said...

you look so stylish. love your blog!!!

Aya Smith said...

Oh, I've just discovered your blog and what a beauty it is! Consider me a follower as well as a fan ;)

♥ Aya
strawberrykoi.blogspot.com

haute.teapot said...

lovely photography...so pretty!

Bug said...

Hi there. New to the blog, love it! Your outfit is gorgeous!! Love your style, love your blog. If you get a chance come by mine :)

http://inbugsdrawers.blogspot.com

alexandra said...

my new favorite blog for sure : ) xoxo
alexandra

Rosie said...

Lovely! It seems we have similar taste in books, first Anne of Green Gables, now Jane Eyre!

CC said...

Gorgeous outfit! You look a lot like Mischa Barton in the second picture. :)
Xx

Valencia Lia said...

I want your furry hat and those sheer gloves!

You always look so stunning,adore adore your skirt and the lace top too<3

joey maighread said...

V. inspiring! Love the narrative, too. [especially the part about sitting by the fire reading jane eyre...that sounds like heaven.]
joey maighread
http://limbicfire.blogspot.com/

Epha Roe said...

Ahhh these are amazing! Do you have lookbook? If you do link me and I shall become a fan, if not, you should totally get it! =D

shoeless simone said...

So so beautiful! I love the mixing of textures and it looks so good with the snow! You're so pretty

-Shoeless Simone

kimee said...

beautiful! & you do look like a ice queen!!

http://cest---lavie.blogspot.com/

Stef said...

the first photo is amazing!

Violet Folklore said...

As you know, these photos (and this outfit) are extraordinary. Are you on Tumblr? These photos would do very well there. Gorgeous.