Sunday, 24 January 2010

Paper Doll



A few months ago, I made this newspaper dress after being inspired by a Vogue shoot full of clothes created from every day items (see the images at the bottom.) Even better, it was shot by Tim Walker and was full of some truly stunning pieces. A bolero made from yellow washing up gloves? A Rei Kawakubo-esque duvet dress? A tea towel bodice? All now living, breathing items! (Figuratively!)

So one rainy sunday afternoon I carried armfuls of newspapers upstairs, before rifling through the box full of plastic bags. The whole thing is actually attached to a simple black dress underneath, as I wanted to be able to put it on. Each sheet of newspaper was pinned onto the dress, before being generally scrunched and shaped to create the bell shape, before being sewn onto the neighbouring piece. Once I had finished this, which took a while, I hemmed the whole skirt using more coloured wool. The top part is made up of a white plastic shopping bag that I draped and moulded to fit into a bodice, before embellishing a with striped plastic bow(the remnants of which was used on the belt- complete with a house number attached to it!)

So it sat on my mannequin for ages gathering dust, waiting to have an outing. And yesterday it did! I was so relieved when I found that it fitted.. I paired it with two other pieces I made. The bracelet is made up of a metal watch strap, with a tiny reel of negatives (the type of ones you put in a viewfinder to look at indivually) and an interesting piece of embellishment. The necklace is made up of an old disposable camera tied with two grey shoelaces. I also added some thrifted sixties shoes and long socks.

For the shoot I wanted it to be a kind of mix between Coppelia and Truly Scrumptious as the clockwork doll in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. They were taken in a nearby field, and we couldn't believe how amazing the light was! I did have a rather interesting experience as I was walking up the road in this ensemble...

We stopped to let a car go past, and the three passengers all swiveled their heads like a lid being unscrewed from a jar to stare at me. The car went a little further up the road before turning round. As it went past again, their heads all turned back... the other way. Well at least I probably gave them a very bad crick in the neck! Well I suppose it isn't every day that you see a teenager walking around a rural village in a dress made up of things usually found sitting around the living room!

It was so fun making this piece, recycyled fashion is always something I've been interested in. A few years ago me and some family friends did a whole fashion show full of customised and made clothes. Although some of the outfits would probably embarass me now, the finale of newspaper and plastic dresses are still some of my favourite to date.

A big thank you to my dad for taking these photos!

Now here are some photos of the shoot that inspired me-




I seriously want that jacket made from pick and mix paper bags!

A big thanks to everyone who cmmented on my photography post, it was lovely to have your views...

57 comments:

♥Lola said...

Love this! Such a creative outfit post :)

Belarusachka said...

Everything looks very nice and it is very good that you have tried by yourself to make it:)))

Kelley Anne said...

I love your shoes to pieces. Very creative idea.

the style crusader said...

you are so talented! those photos are gorgeous! i love the way they were shot and the background is so beautiful! xx

Raez said...

so rad and creative:) i love the blue bustier part, awesome!

xx raez

Mother of Style said...

I love the little fichu wrapped bodice- very creative experiment :)

theTrendyDwarf said...

WOW! Is that skirt really made of newspapers?! If it is...did you buy it or make it? I love it! I have seen newspaper dresses personally, but I have never seen someone actually wear them! In your case your wearing a skirt, but it's almost the same thing. How is it like wearing a newspaper skirt? You are too creative! I love it! I was wondering if you wanted to link swap?
check out my trendy blog!
http://thetrendydwarf.blogspot.com/

Tuesday said...

You're such an amazing doll! Love it!!!

Tati said...

so cute
i did this too once i saw the idea online a few months ago
its such a creative idea
XX

RMb said...

genius! i love it!

susie said...

the dress = amazing, the photography = stunning, the bracelet = i. want. it. the shoes = gorgy! the sum of it all = super sweet! xx.

LFC said...

That dress is so amazing!

-LFC

Eleanor said...

I am breathless...you are quite talented!
Amazing photos - kudos to your father once again.

Rosie said...

This is great! What a fun idea, the pictures came out lovely!

rileeeeey said...

that is the most amazing dress!

x

http://riley-fashionchild.blogspot.com

Tiny Quirks said...

oh my gosh! i love that! your so creative!

Pearl Westwood said...

Ah how fun! I used to do this all the time to practice designs, I used bed sheets once and got in so much trouble ha ha! I have a more recent project on a similar vibe I havent gotten around to posting yet, will let you know when I do! I think the belt is my favourite part, you could really get away with wearing that, xx

The Bambina said...

I love the bell shape! And that bracelet made with negatives is amazing! It reminds me of something one might find at Anthropologie, it has a really unique, almost Western feel to me.

daisymay said...

Love the bracelet, you should think of making them to sell!

Jacqueline said...

Wow, you are so creative. I love the dress and that first shot of you is beautiful. Keep up the great work! xoxo

www.FashionSnag.com

Searched And Found said...

It looks great! What a creative shoot : )

Laura Gerencser said...

Awesome post!!!

Aleeyah a.k.a Fashion Fletcher said...

You look beautiful! :) I love this! My friends made a dress out of newspaper too! it's a little different. Check out my blog to see it. I am a huge fan! You're a big inspiration and you are welcome!

http://thefashionsalute.blogspot.com/
http://thefashionsalute.blogspot.com/
http://thefashionsalute.blogspot.com/

Keri said...

wow! this is a really impressive dress!

Antonia Glavic said...

Great idea! It would be interesting to see a whole dress out of paper, maybe you could elaborate on the theme and create a folded origami inspired masterpiece

megannielsen said...

I love it! so editorial!

Maya said...

KAWAII!!!

FROM TOKYO WITH LOVE!

http://mayasagenda.blogspot.com

xclusiveplay said...

A-MAZING OUTFIT OUT OF NEWSPAPER, Very creative and inspiring, u have a unique Eye!

Thanku! ://thickdaddys.blogspot.com/

Natalie@CANNEDFASHION said...

Your photos are so inspiring! I love the picture of you jumping. Nx

Marina said...

Just gorgeous .... very creative!

Naddy Sane said...

very exciting ,awesome! :D
nad xx

http://naddysfashionaspirin.blogspot.com

heroine temptation said...

oh god! extremely perfect!
so inspired
love it
good job ;)

la tienda de la telaraña said...

Not every people could be so elegant with that kind of dress. It is very funny and you wear it so well.

Isabelle said...

It's a gorgeous, dress and you do take the most fabulous photos!

vickileestyle said...

Amazing dress and I have that edition of Vogue too! I was so inspired by that shoot but didn't feel that the model did Tim Walker any justice :/

valncami said...

This has to be my favorite post of yours! ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!
XX
Valerie

abutterflybyday.blogspot.com

Carly said...

Amazing!!!!!!!
I'm so glad it didn't rain on you, you'd have been more of a paper mache doll.
I see where you get your great photo skills from, your dads pictures are fab!!

www.dressedupdown.blogspot.com

x x x

Violet Folklore said...

WOW darling that is so amazing! You look like your on your way to being a Vogue model and/or designer yourself!

Style Artisan said...

You never cease to amaze me! That dress is so incredible and you wear it with the perfect blend of style and whimsy.

The F Word Online said...

that is suchh a creative dress. i actually really like it. be careful of the rainy days :)

xx lue

3-georgiia said...

wow! thats pretty cool xx

styleodyssey said...

i could hardly believe it- a newspaper dress! your creativity is impressive. 'Roz Couture'!

SJ said...

What a project! I've done one d.i.y. blouse and recently got help from my aunt to create a floor-length skirt from a dress. But this is much more intense and very creative. I am inspired!

www.pearledpenguin.blogspot.com

quirkyfashion said...

It is great photo shoot, I love the usage of paper in fashion - maybe the clothes don't last long but they live a lasting effect!

Fashion Nicotine said...

So cool!!!
Great pictures too!!

Laura said...

I just discovered your blog the other day! I love it. Made my morning. You are so creative. Tell your dad he is a great photographer:) Best wishes.

I just started a blog if you want to check it out:)

http://pleatandpress.blogspot.com/

Sarah said...

That dress is fantastic! You're extremely talented.

http://thefrontcover.blogspot.com

MellJBrown said...

Love it! Especially the way the skirt puffs out.
I've been praying for someone to have a recycled clothing party so I can make myself a similar dress, except I'd use Grazia magazines. Seems appropriate...
-Mell xx
http://fashionfruitt.blogspot.com
http://myspace.com/mbphotos

Kendal said...

your dress is absolutely amazing. its so creative and you look like you should belong in that vogue shoot. absolutely stunning!! you certainly have talent.

amomodo.blogspot.com

Sofie Marie said...

Wow,love this so much! The 6th photo is my favourite,its almost as if your flying.....so amazing! Also only just realised that your 14,which makes me feel very small and rubbish in comparison! You look and seem far more intellectual than 14.....I'm 15,but you seem years ahead of me!Also thanks for commenting ^^Marina and the diamonds seem pretty cool,any song in particular you would reccomend?
Sofie
onetoomanywishes.blogspot.com

blackecstasy said...

wow! so creativee! i love ur idea with the newspapper
keep inspiring me :)
btw i've linked ur blog and follow :)
xoxo
yudia aiiu
http://blackecstasy.blogspot.com/

Cécile said...

Hi Roz,

I don't know if you receive my email, maybe you're just not interested at all and I won't be offended. But in case it went to your spam box and in case you are in fact a bit interested: I made a drawing based on one of your photos and published it yesterday on my blog. If you want to see it, it's there : http://cecilemancion.com/blog/roz-296

And by the way, I really love what you made of some mere pieces of paper. Very inspiring.

ThatGirl39 said...

I so want the sweeties that were in the pick and mix bags on that dress! I saw that shoot in Vogue with the yellow Marigolds...stunning! (If a little much for the school run!) Good on you for braving the stares of the locals for the sake of your art! Hope you don't mind but I'd like to add your blog into my Forty Loves... feature. the imagery is just fantastic x

Plasterdoll said...

I'm totally in love with your newspaper dress! xoxoxoxo

hannah said...

i absolutely love tim walker! his use of pastel shades are beautiful.
love the dress! well done x

maritaBliss said...

Love it !

Teresa said...

What an amazing shoot! You and your dress look gorgeous!

http://www.invasionista.com