Tuesday, 16 February 2010

Who's Calling?


I seem to be following a bit of a theme here- I featured a telephone box in my last post too. (Though it wasn't intentional.) These photos were taken about a month ago and languished, forgotten, on my computer until I suddenly remembered about them. So Voila!
There is something really beautiful about these bright red phone boxes, often found in the complete wilderness- abandoned and sadly, unused. They are a kind of iconic British symbol.. Though it seems more to look at now than actually use.
This local one actually had a sign in it, announcing that it was going to be taken away as it wasn't in use. However, the date given for its removal is now about a year overdue. But we thought we'd get some photos while it was still possible in case it vanishes suddenly!
I have a bit of an obsession with long skirts at the moment. I know I've talked about them before, and am more than likely to do so again in the future. Maybe it's because nearly all my latest charity shop/ ebay purchases have been mid calf length vintage skirts- Two Jaeger (!) ones and another floral one to add to a growing collection. I was informed by my mum yesterday that I need to stop looking in charity shops, as I have completely run out of room in my wardrobe! I doubt this will happen though. What I will say in my defence is that nearly all the clothes I buy are quite classic pieces that have longevity- I can imagine still wearing many of them as an adult.
This particular skirt is thrifted. I wore it with an underskirt to give it a more fifties silouhette, and I love the pattern. The blue jacket is fifties, bought at a vintage shop, and it came with a matching pencil skirt. The shape is exquisite, and when you look at it closely you can really see all the detail and craftmanship put into it. I added some thrifted grey mary janes and a grey top underneath (more for warmth than to add to the outfit though.) Blue + Grey = One of my favourite colour combinations.
I got back from Paris on Sunday, after stopping over for a fleeting visit over the weekend- more on that soon. I got two gorgeous vintage items that I can't wait to share here... I have decided that I really want to try and learn to speak French fluently. Although I'm already studying it at school, I really want to get a proper grasp on being able to speak and read the language.
Another trip this week, this time lasting until Saturday. I hate to neglect my blog, and I'll miss reading about all the Fashion week posts that I am sure will be springing up in the next few days- again, I regret not being able to go to London Fashion week. Oh well, some day hopefully!

Hope you all have a great week, and I'll look forward to catching up when I get back. Oh, and thank you to the blog awards I've recieved recently, I really appreciate it!

43 comments:

♥Lola said...

Love this jacket, it's a really pretty colour on you :) That's amazing that you're so close to Paris, can't wait to see the vintage items that you picked up :)

the style crusader said...

i am loving long skirts as well. that one is so beautiful. lovely photos! xx

heroine temptation said...

ooooh the clohtes and the concept are botha amzing

Rosie said...

Ring ring... Hello, its me. You look fantastic!

Maria said...

perfect mix of dark colors and red details.
I love long skirts, give me the impression of being a princess being careful with pools and holes in the ground. It is very feminine.
you are beautiful in this outfit.
kisses darling

PS: I'm crazy with these red phone boxes in England - are pure charm.

❤Cate❤ said...

The skirt is so pretty, I love it <3

Pearl Westwood said...

Aw they should keep the phone box as a monument, they really are so British! I adore this skirt, such a statement, I really loved the checks Christopher Kane used this S/S too. Have a fab trip x

princesspolitico said...

gorgeous silhouette and that large gingham pattern truly fits the aesthetic - especially with those beautifully rustic telephone booths. very lucky you have such great photo locations at your disposal...

xo.
princesspolitico.blogspot.com

Eli said...

Really love that outfit, the skirt is great.
xo
http://timetimetravelers.blogspot.com/

Laura Gerencser said...

I love your top!!! And the phone box is awesome!!

Jacqueline said...

You are rocking that long skirt and I love the old phonebooth in the photographs! xo


www.FashionSnag.com

The Trendy Fashionista said...

I agree, the red telephone boxes are beautiful!
I love the blazer you're wearing.

-The Trendy Fashionista
http://thetrendyfashionista.blogspot.com

girl by the whirlpool said...

beautiful pictures! I love the contrast of your skirt against the bright red telephone booth. very aesthetically pleasing :)

Rebecca MacPherson said...

The combination of colors is wonderful!

Megan said...

Your photos are so lovely british
I wish I could find a telephone box somewhere

Michele said...

That's a really great skirt!

adrielleroyale said...

Lovely photos! :)

3-georgiia said...

i LOVE english telephone boxes.. i wish they still had them :( xx

http://couldyoubemysunshine.blogspot.com

Style Artisan said...

I love English phone boxes...they remind me of happy trips to England to visit my mom's family. We actually have two phone boxes here in Atlanta and I had been wanting to use them for a shoot.

I love your skirt, and like you, I am suddenly being drawn to longer skirts. They are so pretty and feminine, especially the way that you styled this one.

Brilliant!

dancinginchiffon said...

love your skirt!

Jessica said...

Love these photos! I've always thought those phone booths were so cool and wanted to take photos in one. Unfortunately they are few and far between here!

Quirkygirl said...

Love the long skirt, it looks so cinderella like...

http://fashionismysoulmate.blogspot.com/

Pashupati said...

Then, we thought : TARDIS.

Carly said...

Great shots. I love the contrast of the red phone box with the black and white skirt. You should try and edit your photo so everything is black and white and the phone box stays red.

I used to live near a row of phone boxes, about 6 or 7, it makes for a great shot. Search images on Google : Red Phone Boxes Flag Market Preston '08. It's the first image that comes up.

www.dressedupdown.blogspot.com

Sabrina said...

Hy!first time visiting your blog!I really like it!you have such a personal and creative style!i love the way you wear colors !congratulations!;)

roxanne said...

um, that skirt is easily one of the best i've ever seen. stunning pictures, as well.

Raez said...

hey dear, thanks for the kind words:):)

loving this outfit a lot. not many can pull off a full plaid skirt, but you look AMAZING!

ps. paris??! how exciting, can'tr wait to see what you got!

xx raez

Jodi said...

these are just gorgeous!
im a having a photo contest you might be interested in :) all you have to do is submit a pic and story of your favorite adventure and you can win a fisheye camera, shirt, ring, and book! check it out at http://tinyurl.com/ydl7zbz

Floz said...

thats a beautiful photoshoot. the rustic telephone box... and your clothes are gorgeous! i've read through all your blog, and you have a wonderfully unique and amazing style!

Tastes Like More said...

You make me want to wear long skirts again! You're also wearing my favourite colour palette - blue, grey, black and white. The colour of your lipstick is a really great punch of colour.

Also, your fantastic hair has inspired me recently to go back to my own natural brown colour, having been a blonde for about a year.

And thanks for the comment on my blog! I'd love to see that Vogue shoot you mentioned.

battlingthedinosaurs said...

love your long skirt!

Anna said...

Every photo is so beautiful! Gorgeous shoot :)

satinsugar.blogspot.com

Amelia said...

I adore the last picture. That skirt is so cool!

Ruta said...

So I just came upon your blog and I think it's absolutely amazing. Very inspirational and gorgeous photographs.

I love these photographs and the outfit.

Sarah said...

These photos are just lovely. I love the shots of you in the phone box - they're such an iconic British landmark, I wish they hadn't got rid of most of them. Where you live looks stunning, too.

styleodyssey said...

Best wishes for learning French. It would be so satisfying to speak that beautiful language. I can't wait to see your vintage finds from Paris!

Another delightful post, Roz. The skirt has just the right amount of drama, pattern and sheen.

Rianna Bethany said...

Wow loving your long skirt obsession! It looks awesome! You have very striking facial features
Rianna Bethany xx

Bubu said...

I‘d like to invite you to visit my fashion blog:

http://www.mydarlingbubu.com/

Thank you :). KISSES FROM SPAIN

•••HAVE A NICE WEEKEND•••

Bubu said...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hello Friend, I love love love your blog, it‘s very interesting!!! I really like your style!! i‘ll visit you many times for sure honey.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Bubu said...

I love your principal photo, super nice

Vera and Rudy said...

Roz, I had a mohair coat in exactly that size check - in black and white. Very stunning....I am , as you can see, a devoted follower babi

kimee said...

i love these photos esp the telephone box!

http://cest---lavie.blogspot.com/

J. said...

I absolutely love these photos! And I love long skirts too! (I'm having trouble finding any good ones though...)