Sunday, 21 March 2010

Little Red Riding Cape


Let me introduce you to 'Red Riding Cape.' Sound familiar? This is Little Red Riding Hood's glamorous auntie, and she practically invented her niece's brand daahling!
You see, whenever RRC (as I'll call her for short) decides that her new red cape is a little out of fashion, and she needs a new model then she gives the "hopelessly outdated" one to her niece - who then gets all the  credit for apparently being the only person to wear said red cape in all of existence!
But don't believe the hype - Auntie is the woman behind single handedly bringing capes back into fashion, and of course she's rarely seen without her sunglasses and trademark red lipstick. Oh, and don't you know that even the basket as an accessory was her idea first? Of course dear, she hands those down to Little Red Riding Hood too. But this aunt isn't bitter about not having the recoginition she so obviously deserves, she just smiles to herself as she rests assured that she is the original trendsetter... Besides, she has a very good therapist.

Sometimes when I do a shoot, I like to create characters to go with the outfits - it really helps me to think about poses and ideas. And I loved the idea of this character so much that I just had to share her!
This red vintage cape was another ebay find ( Yes, Mum and I really have promised that we are not going to log in to ebay for a few months!) I really like the vivid colour, especially against the greenery of the forest. Underneath I am wearing a thrifted H&M lace dress (as the cliche goes, it fits like a glove) and a vintage belt that my grandmother wore in the seventies. Thanks Babi!
You may notice that I am still wearing jodhpurs underneath, as it was very cold so I decided to just keep them on. (This shoot was done just after 'Daddy, I want a pony') The lace up victorian style boots are my mum's, and take about ten minutes to put on... The basket usually stores hats in my room, and the silk scarf is one of a rather large collection that I inherited from my great-grandmother. The black embellished gloves are also from her.  There is a brooch/ pin on the cape, which was my grandmother's. It is made up of a fascinating array of miniature objects, from a small cameo to some coins. I should have done a close up of it!

These photos were taken a little further down the path from my last shoot, where it suddenly started meandering into a wood. When the sun went behind a cloud, it felt like a very eery place - full of creaking trees and waving ivy tendrils. So perfect for red riding hood! And there may not have been a wolf's den, but there were plety of fox's burrows around! I love places like this, the photography possibilities seem to be endless...

41 comments:

Rae said...

I always enjoy reading your posts and the stories you incorporate with your outfits. The cape is beautiful along with the whole outfit! As for RRC tell her it's okay for her to take credit every once in a while :D
Feel free to stop by/follow my blog!

<3
Take a walk on a Rae of Sunshine:
http://alittle-rae-ofsunshine.blogspot.com/
http://alittle-rae-ofsunshine.blogspot.com/

the Citizen Rosebud said...

what a wonderful shoot. so many great shots, and such a beeyooooteefull cape! i do like the stories and characters you make up, it really adds to the pictures! keep it up, you lovely young thing. xo. -Bella Q

http://www.thecitizenrosebud.com

Pearl Westwood said...

You can certainly tell a story with your photos! Thanks for your comments too xx

Zoe said...

gorgeous photos! And who couldn't love that cape?!?!

styleodyssey said...

The red of the cape is delicious against all-black. You wear capes very well- it's like the style was made for you!
The sunglasses add further drama and glamour.

FASHION SNAG said...

Love the red cape and the stories you tell with your photography. xo

www.FashionSnag.com

Sue said...

Awesome pictures!!
Everything is perfect, the setting is unbeatable, the cape is just amazing, and also the model is excellent as always.

I really admire the quality of every shoot you did.

♥Lola said...

Love the cape, it's such a pretty colour :)

Ganymede Girl said...

You look so good in red it's insane, the cape was such a great find!

http://ganymedekids.blogspot.com

The CultureCynic said...

love the incoperation of the stories with the posts. the cape is beautiful, the shots are brilliant,kudos!!

Catherine said...

That bright green belt buckle with the red cape is just genius! Such a surprising splash of color.

- Catherine at Littlehouse of Style
http://littlehouseofstyle.blogspot.com

Hannah said...

I love the portrayal of Auntie. :)
After reading it and then scrolling back up to relook through the pictures, her character really comes through. It's like adding a whole other element to the outfit that really gives it some meaning.

The Lady Nerd said...

This is brilliant! This is a perfect example of why your blog stands head and shoulders above so many. The photos are well executed, strongly composed, with interesting characters (so much so that you honestly feel like you could be looking at a real fashion editorial). I'm loving the glamour of all of it - from the bright red cape to the repeated jodhpurs to your mum's splendid lace-up boots. Well done!

PS - Thanks for the comment on my modeling photo. It was much appreciated. :) (Just wait til the final photo comes out. The full length of that wig is just unbelievable...)

kate maggie said...

Oh my goodness, this cape is amazing and looks SO good on you! These pictures are unreal. Lovely!

Is said...

oh-my-god totally georgeus!!! what a cape!

heroine temptation said...

oooh totally great

Cat said...

Bravo...these pictures are devine, truly devine!

Carly said...

Another master piece Roz, red is perfect for you with your dark hair and eyes. Thanks for your comment on my post about The Cove, I hope you managed to take a look at their website.

Carly. x

p.s. did you manage to find any of George Orwells books?

The little Black List said...

adorable! really cute, and well put together. the scarf on the basket is the perfect finishing touch.
t

littleblacklist.blogpsot.com

Maria said...

WOW,
here there is always a surprise, i love it!!
red cape + gloves = fashion fabulous look.
=**

RMb said...

this is just gorgeous!! you're a total inspiration. :)

Erin said...

Seeing as I love your blog so much, I've just awarded you the Sunshine award...details are on my blog!

Love love love,

Erin

xx

Emily said...

That is a stunning set of photos - the cape is gorgeous and everything comes together so well!

Carly said...

p.s. I've just announced some exciting news on my blog. Come and share my happiness. : )

Carly.

www.dressedupdown.blogspot.com

Izzy said...

these are amazing, i have a similar cape, but can' pull it off as good :(

chichichic said...

unreal and beautiful... your characters are amazing! (isn't dress up fun??)

xo

justyna

I LOVE JENEEN NICOLE said...

Nice Pics!
I love your blog, and that cape is amazing!!
x
jn
www.jeneennicole.com

JOWY said...

THAT CAPE IS PURE HOTNESS!

One Love,
Jowy
www.iseejanemary.blogspot.com

messy said...

love little red riding hood! the color red paired with the green foliage is a beautiful combination.
check out our vintage finds:
http://www.naughtymess.blogspot.com

Hannah said...

LOVELY PHOTOGRAPHS doll :) x

http://ohstylevanity.blogspot.com

Diya said...

these set of photography are gorgeous!!!

ps. visit my blog at:
http://diyainherstilettos.blogspot.com/

Chloe, Butterfly Cupcakes said...

These photos are great, you really do look like little red riding hood. I loved your description of the woods, I wish I had woods near by.

The Fancier said...

It looks like a story and you really do look like an elegant version of Little Red.

lauren lanza osias said...

amazing photos, amazing words, but i have to say for the day-to-day i am not a big cape fan, i find that they look to cartoony which totally works above, but not so much in real life.

http://laurenlanzaosias.blogspot.com

ronel1217 said...

2 thumbs up..you have a such fantastic photos..:))

last blog's iamronel

mel said...

oh wow, this is so amazing, i love the red little cape! and you are absolutaly stunning! i looked through your other posts, and i am just blown away - i love your blog
following:)
xx

peterbellandtinkerpan.blogspot.com

kimee said...

SO I LOVEEE this

nominated you for a blog award! peep my blog for the award

BattyNora said...

I love the concept of the shoot and RRC sounds simply fabulOUS! The whole moodiness of the shoot is really grabbing, i like how the dramatic creepy setback of the woods/dangerous red of the cape link together. Also red suits you so much!

My favourite shot is the fifth one- the symmetry + strong pose make it really striking and i love RRC's imperious look :) Also the last photo is so glamourous but dark with the disappearing path...

I think it's great how you always incorporate the good old english countryside in your shoots, and always integrate it's natural beauty with the clothes- very inspirational and always gives your photos an edge of drama/added beauty!
xo

stylestalker said...

vintage is so gorgeous

ronel1217 said...

you look awesome

regards: ronel

annalisa said...

great idea
looks amazing

www.moustachic.com
www.moustachic.com
www.moustachic.com