Friday, 26 March 2010

Through the Looking Glass and into the Secret Garden

This is part one of my latest shoot with the beautiful Emma. Having said latest, this happened at least a month or two ago.. That's how long it took me to pick the photos to post!
The theme for part one of the shoot was a cross between Alice Through the Looking Glass and The Secret Garden. I wanted a very whimsical feel with my styling of the outfits I chose, to capture the fun but also the timelessness. I always find books a massive source of inspiration when I am given the chance to work behind the camera.
Luckily, I found the perfect location - a stunning large garden with an arboretum situated right next to it. I used both parts for this shoot. Incidentally, I have visited from time to time and played on the swing pictured here ever since I was little.

The first outfit is the Alice inspired one. We even had a cat who decided to stalk Emma around the garden and sneak into every photo I was taking! Either it loved the limelight, or just instantly adored my model (maybe both?) It got to the point where Emma had to pick up this cat and put it on the other side of the garden, then run back for me to take a photo before it returned. Anyway, this actually worked out rather well as it reminded me of the Cheshire cat from the Alice tales. Then the glass table served as a wonderful looking glass.. Emma is wearing a vintage fifties blue tea dress from Brick Lane over a thrifted shirt. I dug out these thrifted brown lace ups as I knew they would actually fit Emma. The various vintage necklaces are inherited pieces. The jacket in some shots is a thrifted Karen Millen piece. I really like the structure and cut of it.

The second outfit was shot on and around this amazing tree that looks like it has run away from a fairytale to join this arboretum. The middle forms a kind of natural seat - I would happily sit there and draw during summer. The black high waisted trousers are thrifted Laura Ashley (my mum's) and the little cardigan is thrifted Radley. I really like the lace detailing on the shoulders.. The shirt underneath is my mum's. And oh, what a surprise! Are those the white brogues I see before me? Again? Gosh, they do pop up on this blog a lot.. The clock pendant is from ebay and that black belt was inherited.

I put Emma in the third outfit on a bit of a whim. The gold pleated dress is actually a skirt that used to live in my dressing up box. I realised when she put it on that the top was much too wide, so I had to improvise with a thrifted Tommy Hilfiger belt to create an extra edging! The other belt (actually used correctly) was my grandma's when she was in the equivalent of the girl guides. Another piece I really love. The shirt is as before, and the vintage seventies boots were thrifted a very long time ago when I still had size three feet.. Emma adores them, but unfortunately I would never be able to part with them - sorry Emma!

You can see the remnants from the last ever snow fall of this year in the background (Yes, I had to mention the weather at some point, I apologise for my slightly predictable British-ness) and the light was beautiful.

I enjoyed doing this shoot so much, and I hope you like the photos! It would be great to hear some feedback...

A quick note: To clarify, I never edit/ photoshop my photos and all the lighting is natural!

31 comments:

victoriajeanne said...

love the photoshoot, was the model's hair blown out because her layers look amazing


thesebittersweetcitystreets.blogspot.com

Gretchen Niaki said...

Very lovely!!! Very fond of the immediacy/real life feeling left in your editing and shooting.

Well done!

Carly said...

These photos are great Roz, i especially love all of the ones by the trees. The lighting looks great. I can't believe there's still snow on the ground, you must live quite high up.

I've just posted some photos i took today out and about in London, let me know what you think.
Hope you have a great weekend.
Carly x x

www.dressedupdown.blogspot.com

Laura said...

The second look is lovely!

Ellie Grace said...

This is most definitely my favorite shoot of yours. The outfits are absolutely stunning!

Always,
Ellie Grace

FASHION SNAG said...

Wow, beautiful photos! I love the first one especially. xo

www.FashionSnag.com

Emily said...

Beautiful photos, styling, model - it all came together to suit your fashion story.

Izzy said...

beautiful photography, very effective with the bits of left over snow

Swamped in flowers

kate maggie said...

lovely photoshoot..seriously gorgeous. I love every outfit, too! :)

♥Lola said...

I love the blue dress, it looks gorgeous with her hair :)

Ganymede Girl said...

I love the first photo, you've really captured the theme! The cat story is so cute, I've met a few cats like that, one time I was followed for like 5 blocks by a little black kitty that was so overly friendly and I worried that it was going to get lost.

http://ganymedekids.blogspot.com

adrielleroyale said...

What beautiful pictures!!! I love the outfits and the composition - just beautiful!

Natalie said...

this is so beautiful! i love the picture of her on the swing!! great styling :))

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

Quirkygirl said...

Lovely!
I adore the first mirrored picture!


fashionismysoulmate.blogspot.com

Arushi Khosla (FabBlab) said...

Um hi, you are gorgeous. Kthxbai.

The Trendy Fashionista said...

Beautiful shoot. I love the first picture!

-The Trendy Fashionista
http://thetrendyfashionista.blogspot.com

Pearl Westwood said...

What a beautiful shoot, I think all the outfits work wonderfully. I particularily like the photo from the first look with Emma standing in front of the stone pillar.

P.S I posted an award for you on my blog.

Sue said...

Unbelievable!! you are a great photographer!. Emma is perfect, her hair is so beautiful.... the garden is full of green and spring, and the light is unbeatable!

congrats again for this stunning shoot

Courtney O. said...

sooo beautiful. the pictures on your blog are always so gorgeous!

Emma Jade said...

Especially love the one on the swing :)
xxx

Zoe said...

gorgeous photographs! I love your bright red hair! toooo cute!

styleodyssey said...

Magnificent!!!
These photos really look professional. The lighting is beautiful, and of course, Emma is, too.
It's wonderful how you put so much thought into these shoots, drawing inspiration from many sources.
You are going places, Roz!

Auvan R said...

Super Beautiful, great shots! the colors look amazing, wow!

Rae said...

I loved how this was inspired by Alice in Wonderland (Emma you look beautiful!) I'm actually going to go see the movie in a couple of hours!! By the way I left you a lovely blog award on my blog, so GO CHECK IT OUT and keep up on the great posts!!

<3
Take a Walk on a Rae of Sunshine:
http://alittle-rae-ofsunshine.blogspot.com/
http://alittle-rae-ofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Gracie said...

I looove these shots, especially the first one, it's divine!

xtirsa said...

I love your blog
and those pictures are gorgeous!

~ www.fashion--maniak.blogspot.com

khdz said...

they are all great shots, but my favorite is the one where she is standing on the tree roots. the boots you chose for that picture stand out perfectly.

Miss Woody said...

gorgeous hair !

Allie said...

Wow Roz... Wow Emma ...
I think if you post some of it up sometime, I did not see ... and I feel terrible about it.
Can she be more tender???
You have a talent that just makes me think of your father, something like the drawing talent I have inherited from my father, although I always thought that the talents we make ourselves.
Well, back to the subject of Emma (if you saw it in Spanish, I mean the "theme of Emma" you'd have a comical, it is like a rhyme. If you can pronounce it ... "THE TOPIC OF EMMA") Again becoming the issue of EMMA! I love all the outfits you chose for the session and the curious cat seems friendly. Besides the setting, which is natural is always so wonderful. I wish I lived in a rural place ... so that you understand I live in a suburb in the middle of town, bored. Although I have my advantages, like having the store nearest you and well ... the movie theater is an advantage??? Anyway ... back to the subject of Emma! She is just lovely. It's your friend??? it turns out that you do not represent the age you are but she will have maybe 15 years?
Well, enough questions.
Congratulations on your wonderful work with the camera, either in front or behind this, you're a genius.
A big kiss to you and Emm.
BY
Bye!

Lore. said...

love the hair and the second look!
XOXO
check out my blog: http://loresfashion.blogspot.com

LittleWelshGirl said...

Loving the outfits in this- you can see the influence but I like the individual twist!

http://glamorousambitions.blogspot.com/