Sunday, 7 March 2010

Where the grey light meets the green air


The weather seems to have a bit of a split personality this weekend...
Today it was completely stunning. We ate lunch outside for the first time this year, and when me and my friend went for a walk, I ACTUALLY lay down in the field. Although this doesn't sound very momentous, the absence of mud or ice is always something to be celebrated. (The walk culminated in a stick-sword fight!)
However, yesterday (when these photos were taken), it was grey and cold. In fact, so freezing that I couldn't do up the laces on these boots with bare hands, as my fingers went numb.

Unfortunately, I hate really cold weather. I'm someone who doesn't feel right if they're not warm enough- meaning I changed my outfit three times yesterday morning so I had the balance between not shivering and also being happy with what I was wearing. I finally ended up in my new cape, recently purchased off ebay.
I love capes at the moment. They are like the coat's quirkier cousin- still just as warm but a little more unique.
Here I am wearing the aforementioned cape, with a silk shirt underneath. What you can't see is that under this silk shirt I have on a vest, t-shirt, a long sleeved top and a thin Jaeger jumper. I then added skinny jeans.
I have a feeling that this is only the second time I have ever been pictured in jeans on my blog. I do wear them quite a bit more than that, but somehow I just find shooting skirts and dresses more interesting!
The grey lace up boots are my favourite pair from Topshop. And for five inch heels, they are surprisingly easy to walk in- when you are not tottering along country lanes more used to being frequented by tractors. The owl necklace is vintage and is kind of the nearest thing I have to a lucky charm. The brown leather gloves are family inherited, and so is the leather satchel.
I bought the vintage camera in a charity shop on friday, and thought it would make the perfect prop here! I really want to start to learn how to shoot on film, but I'm not sure if this is the camera I'll be using as the instructions are all in German..

The photos were taken on an attempted family walk, but it was so cold that mum and little brother retreated to the car while we did important things with the camera. Nearby, we knew there was an old railway carriage that is now used as a sheep shed, and thought it would be the perfect location for this cape to be shot in. The alternative title for this is 'Caped in shades of rust', and that's exactly how I felt.. The vibrant colour worked so well in contrast with the outfit.
What is amazing about a structure like this is seeing how much of the original shape is still there. Part of a door, huge rusting nails, still-working hinges. Such places feel like they are seeped in history. You start to wonder who else might have stood in that carriage when it was still in use, who has shared that space with you at some point in the past?

I've recently been reading quite a bit of poetry, and thought that this quote from T.S Eliotts's poem, 'Usk', summed up the mood of the day perfectly:

"Old enchantments. Let them sleep.
'Gently dip, not too deep',
Lift your eyes
Where the roads dip and the roads rise
Seek only there
Where the green light meets the grey air
The hermit's chapel, the pilgrim's prayer."
                                                     - Usk, T.S Elliot

We have just started studying poetry in school, ready for a literature exam, and I was surprised by the number of people who groaned when we found out this was the next topic.
As a poetry lover myself, I was just wondering if I am a lone ranger as far as that is concerned? Does anyone else here love poetry, or do you prefer prose? And if you do like poetry, do you have any particular favourite poets or poems? At the moment I'm enjoying Carol Ann Duffy, Seamus Heaney and some of Sylvia Plath's work...
On other matters literary, I realised most of the classics I've read recently are American- The Great Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye, My Antonia and now Nine Stories by J.D Salinger. This wasn't on purpose, but its been so interesting reading all of these books, and comparing them. But on to my question- does anyone have any classics (from any country) that they could suggest as my next book to read? I would love to hear your ideas.

Oh & I'm happy to say that I had my six hundredth follower recently. Thank you to every one of you! 


48 comments:

Finn said...

I don't really enjoy poetry. Most of the poets I've had to study for my Leaving Cert are woeful and spend their time complaining about life. There are few poets who I enjoy to read. One of them would be Anne Carson as her poems are full of emotion.

Pearl Westwood said...

Lucky find with that cape! I have been looking for a perfect vintage cape for ages, but I am quite fussy! I have had lots of luck with vintage dresses lately - will have to post them soon, but I really want a grey or tan cape. I like how you can wear yours with the belt too. Heres hoping for some warmer weather x

Carly said...

My boyfriend adores Catcher in the Rye, its his all time favourite, but i, although enjoyed it didn't quite feel so passionate. I suggest you read George Orwells work, Nineteen Eighty-Four and Animal Farm both i thoroughly enjoy.

Let me know what you think.

p.s. love the cape, i had a beige one when i was younger but sadly i grew too big (it was about 10years ago). Still searching for the new replacement.

Carly x x
www.dressedupdown.blogspot.com

Serina said...

Absolutely my favourite shoot of yours so far. The cape is beautiful! I also love your shoes and the satchel! I would love to see what the silk shirt is like as well! I love the 8th photo down, stunning.

You should shoot in jeans more often! :)

Serina x

Ps. I really like the new banner too ;)

Fuksjanna said...

Amazing cape! I love your photos-they are so natural & just beautiful:)

Is said...

really, your blog is totally amazing. pictures, clothes, forest, you... the best blog i've seen, and i saw a lot of them

Laura said...

I love your coat, great pictures!!

Jacqueline said...

This is one of my favorite outfits of yours! I love that cape and the shoes you chose. You look very beautiful and the photos and poses are gorgeous. I LOVE YOUR CAPE and the color looks fantastic on you!! xo

www.FashionSnag.com

Chaucee said...

This is a fabulous coat.

the style crusader said...

these photos are so beautiful. i wish i had a place like this to go on walks near my house! the lighting and the mist... such a perfect back drop. really lovely. congratulations on have 600 followers! that is seriously insane! well done! xx

Ganymede Girl said...

I was not expecting to see you wearing jeans but they look great on you! I adore capes, they're one of my favorite garments of clothing yet I do not even own one myself! I have had no luck whatsoever in finding one that suits me, I may have to give up and make my own.

For classics I recommended you read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, and Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, both incredible novels!

http://ganymedekids.blogspot.com

Eli said...

This is my favourite outfit of yours. Really love the cape!

http://timetimetravelers.blogspot.com/

Sólrún Harpa said...

I really like your cape. There's something so charming about them.
I enjoy poetry as well and one of my favourite poets is Pablo Neruda. His poems make me crave love so I recommend you read his sonnetts.

Maria Confer said...

Your cape is so incredible. Stunning photos.

Lulu Letty

battlingthedinosaurs said...

love that cape!

sharonlei said...

What gorgeous photos! I love your cape and you are so stunning. :) Thanks for sharing and always inspiring.

xx Love & Aloha

rachel / Red Lips Vintage said...

that cape is quite lovely. you look stunning!

Julia said...

I love this outfit and especially the cape. The owl necklace adds a bit of whimsy to the outfit and I'm dying for your boots!

xoxo
www.fashioneye.typepad.com

girl by the whirlpool said...

I love T.S. Eliot. That cape is amazing! Very unique

Natalie said...

so beautiful! the lighting is so gorgeous too :)

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

Marina said...

I love this photo shoot ... and the gorgeous red cape!
xx

Denise said...

oh my. That cape is really gorgeous! Wow all these photos are editorial material. And you look so lovely. Always. Am your biggest fan.


I am Denise Katipunera

heroine temptation said...

such a great outfit
you are gorgeous
and you look so thin ! im jealous

beingbethany said...

havent commented before. love the cape, youve made me want to buy one now it looks so nice.
i did some carol ann duffy and some Seamus Heaney for english lit at GCSE last year.
ive been doing some work on william blakes songs of innocence and experience which are really good recently.

you should read the yellow wallpaper by charlotte perkins gilman, a shoot based on that would be amazing :) xx

through the lens. said...

i may steal your camera. or the cape. and i'm not usually into poetry at all, but then i read a poem at the beginning of a novel and was transported. unluckily the poem is back at the library now.

please check out my blog, if you have time;
www.up-in-the-woods.blogspot.com

Megan said...

Great cape! I would suggest Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. One of my all time favorite books. It is a book about the human condition. I am reading Wives & Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell and am liking it very much.

polka dot said...

I was just wondering if the cape was Jaeger, and you're wearing a jumper by them! Next September I promise I'm getting you a ticket to their show (my goal is to shoot you for a Jaeger campaign).

Gorgeous shots once again, btw!

re: books, those are some of my favourites as well. I LOVED 9 stories by Salinger. A Perfect Day for Bananafish, For Esme, with Love.. great title for this post, also.

There's a more contemporary - but probably over 10 years old - American novel I think you'd love, Roz. It's called The Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing, by Melissa Bank. I met her at the Hay Literary Festival, she's a NY girl like myself, and I love her sense of humour and sensibility.

Congrats on your 600th follower! I can't cope with the cold, either, for what it's worth. I'm a swimming in turquoise waters kind of person, and I catch cold too easily. Like today, for example! Hope you're in good health after that shoot. xx

Sara said...

Loving your cape, I'm nuts about them lately! If you're feeling T.S. Eliot right now, you *have* to seek out his Four Quartets - they will blow your mind. Definitely one of my favorite written works of anything ever.

Sabina said...

U look beautiful... Especially i like your owl necklace - but first time i saw it i thought it´s Gizmo :) u know - that Gizmo from Gremlins ...

NiftyThriftyBeth said...

Majorly cool cape and i also like your necklace.

avalonne said...

I love your cape. You look so pretty and feminine. If you have time, please feel free to visit my blog :) Thanks!

Leproust Vintage said...

I feel like I am looking through an editorial every time I visit your blog! Gorgeous photos.....and I love that cape!!

Oh, and T.S. Eliot is my favorite photo....great choice!

mary said...

I can sympathize with your feelings; I enjoy reading and writing poetry but everyone in my classes does not. You mentioned you were reading Jane Eyre in an earlier post; it is my favorite book. Therefore, I recommend, with you especially in mind, The Farthest Away Mountain, by Lynne Reid Banks; you'll love it. The language isn't very advanced as it is simply a fairy tale, but I think it would suit you very well. Love your blog and great shoot as always!

Wardrobe Warrioress said...

That cape is fantastic!!! Love it.

Check out my blog! :-)
http://wardrobewarrioress.blogspot.com/

Romany said...

This is you? You're gorgeous, this could honestly be an editorial from a high-fashion magazine (I thought it was, at first) - nice work. Now go be a model. Haha.
Beautiful blog you've got here.
Romany
xx

Romany said...

Oh and re: classics, try Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. It's my all-time favourite - it's definitely an acquired taste (considering the...uh...content), but worth a read for sure.
Romany
xx

Orville said...

I really love that you used that bag with that cape ^^ amazing... can you send that bag to me??!! Kidding! lol ^^ ciao

styleodyssey said...

this is one of my faves, roz. i like everything about this, from the silhouette, to the texture and colors. cute owl pendant! i almost bought one in a vintage store during my last US trip...kicking myself for resisting it!

lauren lanza osias said...

what a lovely outfit!? this just screams "walk through the english countryside" in my dreams!!! beautiful.

http://laurenlanzaosias.blogspot.com
be a follower, not a hater

Oskar said...

beaaaautiful photos!
I really need a cape like yours..and that bag and those shoes

kate maggie said...

I dont think this could get anymore perfect. wow. I love it! Your blog is truly great and inspiring:)

The Man from Amsterdam said...

Amazing style!

Catherine said...

Thanks for your nice comment the other day! Some reading suggestions below . . .

Poetry: Ted Hughes—Birthday Letters (they're all about Sylvia Plath who committed suicide the year before), anything by Billy Collins (poet laureate of the US), Charles Simic (his stuff is so clever and simple), Pablo Neruda (love poems)

Classics: Love in the Time of Cholera (beautiful, magical!) The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (gorgeous Southern Gothic), Great Expectations, A Christmas Carol (Dickens is just wonderful), Rabbit Run (very dark novel), Lolita (fascinating), The Metamorphosis (a guy becomes a bug! what more can you ask for?!)

Recent lit: Drowning Ruth, The Handmaid's Tale (1984 for women), Garden of Earthly Delights

Right now, I'm reading In Cold Blood and it's fantastic so far.

- Catherine at Littlehouse of Style
http://littlehouseofstyle.blogspot.com/

BattyNora said...

I love the rust and pale green colours and boots evil owl necklace :) Also leather gloves!!

I also love Carol Ann Duffy's work (although there is a limit to the number of times you can analyse Anne Hathaway in an English lesson:0)!
Do you like Dylan Thomas?
As for books, at the moment I'm reading Atonement and the Red Pony...

Don't think that was v. helpful sorry!
xo

The Trendy Fashionista said...

GORGEOUS!!! This is an amazing outfit. red looks really good on you

-The Trendy Fashionista
http://thetrendyfashionista.blogspot.com

Sofi said...

Oh I love this look so much! It seems like you. Are combining classic vintage with a little bit of edgy with the boots. All of your shoots are always so beautiful! Maybe you were born in the wrong era :) or the righ one, depending how you thing about it...
Sofi

frances said...

some of these are SO editorial it's unreal. x

khdz said...

i don't like capes as a rule, but that one is fantastic. i like how it belts, so it's not just fabric, and the pockets are great. any idea how to get a similar one?

as for poetry, i never really liked it until later high school, I think one of my first favorite poets was Eliot, too. I agree with the commenter who suggested the Four Quartets, also look up The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock if you haven't read it.
If you like books that are more for the sake of language than plot, I recommend Garcia Marquez, Virginia Woolf... great authors.