Wednesday, 28 April 2010

What goes around, comes around






So, Oscar Wilde may have said "Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months", but there was one thing he forgot to mention - those 'intolerable' trends are more than likely to reappear sometime in the future...

This outfit is very inspired by the Phoebe Philo Celine aesthetic. The difference being that the clothes (or rather item) in hand are vintage.
A few months ago, I was searching through my mum's box of vintage clothes, in the hope that some new pieces might have miraculously materialised (I live in hope!) when I found two matching suede t-shirts - one in brown, and the other in grey-green. I had a very 'fashion speak' moment in which I said something along the lines of "Oh Gosh! Look how Celine these are, they're almost identical to the minimalist leather t-shirts in the latest collection." Honestly, I don't often speak like that!
But the seed of an idea was born.. A Celine inspired shoot with seventies references.

The suede t-shirt was my grandma's, and is really very comfy. I always value  the comfort of pieces, so this is definitely a winner for me! I wore it over a thrifted body-con dress (I think its nineties Miss Selfridge?) and added my favourite cable knit black tights. The black leather shoes are thrifted (Italian made!) and the faux pearls were from a family member.
It was quite hard for me to try and style a 'minimalist' outfit - my usual approach involves a lot of layering, a smattering of jewellery and a curtain tie, or something..
But stepping outside your comfort zone is always a good thing.

My dad took these photos while we were away on holiday - the decor complimeted the mood of the shoot well. The sun was setting as we did the photos,  so even the light was on our side!

I love the fact that I'm wearing a t-shirt that is very 'on-trend', but actually was first designed and produced in the seventies. And as my mum reminisced, she wore a similiar series of tops in that particular' style that her mum made her out of old curtains! (She was a child in the seventies.)

So Mr Wilde, it's just like literature isn't it? There may be only six archetypal stories in the world (or however many there are supposed to be - does anyone know?), but look at the variation - endless! So how many varieties of fabulous outfits are there then?

34 comments:

FASHION SNAG said...

You got some great light in these photos! I love the color of the top as well. You look pretty as always. x

www.FashionSnag.com

Lemondrop Marie said...

The light in the photos is gorgeous! Love the retro elegance of them.
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
Petit Rococo giveaway

Pearl Westwood said...

What a great find! I have a vintage leather sweatshirt which is currently in the process of loosing its sleeves and waist. I swear if I had a pound for every time my mum says 'I had one just like that', no infact never mind the pound why, oh why didn't she keep any of it!

Is ♥ La 5th con Bleecker st. said...

why don't you are a model? you look great always. kisses!

Laura Gerencser said...

Great photos!!

Olivia Isabella. said...

I think it makes apparent intellects look, to be honest, quite dim when they brush off fashion as a superficial matter. It may be about what it looks like, but it is also about so much more: art, expression, rebellion, etc. It shows how even the supposedly broadest and smartest minds can fit in the smallest of boxes.
On a lighter note, there is a skirt in Zara which is an actual copy of the Celine collection - camel coloured, short a-line with black outlined pockets... Fabulous find I thought!
UO x
http://unionolivia.blogspot.com/

daisymay said...

That photo of you in the mirror is beautiful!
http://daisymay-dayz.blogspot.com/

Carly said...

These photos really remind me of Erwin Olafs work, look at his collection of photographs named Grief, your pictures make me think of the loneliness portrayed in this story. Also the lamp and the sofa would work perfectly with his deco. www.erwinolaf.com

Carly x x

www.dressedupdown.blogspot.com

Gracie said...

Very cool photos, the light is very interesting, and you look great!

nancy : The Sway Report said...

I like how the sun filtering in through the window complimented the colors of the outfit. This theme you talk about "minimalism" is something I've had in mind.... you're right, as fashion people we tend to amass clothes that don't work always jive in the right way.... but I'm really growing attached to simple and clean lines in neutral colors!

xo
nancy

lovely fotos, as always! :)

Closet Fashionista said...

Wow great photos! And also a great point :)
I wish my mom had kept more of her clothes, I always mean to ask my grandmother if she has any of her old stuff....next time I go home.

http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com

Darling L said...

Totally agree with you and with Oscar Wilde :) Love the pics!
Best,
Darlin L (a newby in this blog world)

Roz said...

Thank everyone.. You're all lovely!
And Fashionsnag - I've tried to write on your blog a few times, but it won't let me. But your comments dont go unnoticed, so thanks!

adrielleroyale said...

Lovely - the whole thing! I love the shadows and glow of the sun coming in. You really do model well you know. The poses you hold are so natural looking and beautiful. :)

styleodyssey said...

I'd forgotten about that Oscar Wilde quote. It's a good reminder that fashion is not to be taken too seriously (now, style is another story! Fashion and style are not the same thing, of course.)

Suede tee..how cool!

The golden light in these photos is lovely.

Fashion By He said...

very pretty , love your style!!

come follow the first ever fashion blog from a guys POV, let He know what you think

fashionbyhe.blogspot.com

Lucy Laucht said...

What a lucky find! I love finding something from decades ago that is relative to current trends. Plus I think by interpreting a trend by using vintage avoids that contrived try-hard look. Gorgeous photos as always miss!

Lucy Laucht

socialmediasalon said...

very classic, very chic. i guess it's as the saying goes, "there is nothing new under the sun" and that goes for fashiion as well. i agree with you though that it is how we re-invent and variate an old trend that makes things fresh again.

lover said...

AS A WOMEN OF 43 I AM ADDICTED TO YOUR BLOG... ARE THERE ANY OTHER WOMEN WHO COULD BE YOUR MOTHER OUT THERE CHECKING EVERY WEEK TO SEE WHAT YOU WRITE AND HOW YOU ARE PHOTOGRAPHED AND STYLED...

WOULD LOVE TO GET OTHER YOUNG GIRLS TO HAVE A FOCUS LIKE YOU AND FUNNEL THERE TALENT IN A SIMILAR WAY....


XXOO
MELISSA FROM NEW MEXICO

Raez said...

very interesting inspiration and shoot as always! I instantly thought Celine when I saw that the tee was suede. And the setting is perfect:)

have a lovely weekend;)

xx raez

a. said...

cuteness

Rae said...

I'm absolutely loving the top! You must have been so happy when you found it digging around your family's vintage clothing :D

<3
Take a Walk on a Rae of Sunshine:
http://alittle-rae-ofsunshine.blogspot.com/
http://alittle-rae-ofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Diana Q. said...

I love your look! You have gorgeous hair! xoxo

FASHION-VERONIQUE said...

cute blog!
I opened a new fashion blog too, I hope u'll be one of my followers:-)

http://lifegivemefashion.blogspot.com

candedc said...

LOVED the styling, i also love fashion and vintage as you do.

www.missrockandchic.blogspot.com

frances said...

that suede tshirt is perfection. excellent comparisons between the restless nature of fashion and literature (the same can be said for music, art, architecture...) x

LUU H. said...

are you seriously 14 years old ? wow, you look older than you look like. but i love you photos ; )

kirstyb said...

great post xxxx

Dylana Suarez said...

You interpret the Celine aesthetic so effortlessly! Love this so so much!

colormenana.blogspot.com

Sue said...

I'm really impressed, as always, everything is just perfect, the way you look at the camera, the way you write here, the light in your pics....

it's a pleasure to find a blog like yours!

Ellie Grace said...

The last photo is absolutely breath taking.
There is something nice for you on my blog. =]

Always,
Ellie Grace

HAL said...

Just found your blog, I love it. It's great when you find something vintage that's a contemporary trend. Following you now! xo

HALCOHOLIC.com

Vanessa said...

Your hair is so beautiful. Never ever cut it :)

Ivana Split said...

so fascinating to see this post! eight years, who would have guessed? wonderful text and look as always:O