Sunday, 4 April 2010

Wrinkled silk stockings on a blustery Sunday

It's now the Easter holidays and I am thoroughly enjoying the creative freedom: building an indoor den with my brother (which I am currently sitting in while writing this. Yes, I know I'm nearly fifteen, but I still love the excuse to play!), working on designs, drinking coffee, reading newspapers and reorganising my room = three blissfully relaxed days so far..
Hopefully I should be posting more often for the next two weeks, as I have a fair few things I want to put up on this blog. So let's begin with some treasures found at a vintage market.
Last weekend my mum and I went to a local town for food shopping, but more importantly to drop in on a one-off vintage and flea market. I was quite literally in heaven! 
This dress was found scrunched in the bottom of a £1 basket - yes, a pound! I couldn't quite believe it - a silk handmade sixties dress. Was there some mistake? No, it was there because it had some small rips in it(which my mum very kindly repaired). So that is one of the biggest bargains ever, and my new favourite dress! Here I just pulled it up slightly with a thrifted belt so you could see the top of the stockings.
Ah... the stockings. Part two of the three items shown here that I found at the market. Funnily enough, they were the most expensive part of this outfit! But £10 for genuine fifties (?) silk stockings (unworn!) seems pretty reasonable to me. They even had the original Brettles label...
                                                                                                                                
Funnily enough, I assume they are meant to be full length stockings, but on me they only come up to just above my knees!
The socks grew progressively more wrinkled as the shoot went on, but I rather like them like that. Kind of a slight Burberry-esque feel? My mum commented that they reminded her of Nora Batty, a character from an old TV show - 'Last of the Summer Wine.' Having never seen the program, I looked her up. And mum was right - the stockings have a very 'Batty' feel!

That certainly is one way to interpret 'granny chic'!
So, today Roz is channeling Nora Batty juxtaposed with vaguely militiary style heels daahling. (Actually, on the subject of Nora Batty, I hope 'BattyNora' is reading this - you leave great comments!)
 I have to say, the stockings also remind me of Mrs Overall from 'Acorn Antiques.'  (A British comedy series from the nineties.) Anyone else out there a Victoria Wood fan?
The faux pearls were also from the aformentioned vintage market - I like their unique shape. My grey ankle boots are that good old pair from Topshop. I think putting them with the stockings is one of my favourite ensembles so far! I am now becoming quite the expert on walking on country lanes and climbing over gates in ridiculously high heels. Not quite sure how that skill will ever be useful in day to day life, but it works out pretty well for shooting outfits in the countryside!
The green lace gloves were my great-grandma's and the white top underneath was only there for warmth!

36 comments:

FASHION SNAG said...

I love the gloves in combination with the dress. The colors look really good on you! xo

www.FashionSnag.com

Olivia Isabella. said...

Great finds, beautifully put together. Loving the wrinkled stockings.
If you have a mo, please check out my blog at
http://unionolivia.blogspot.com/

styleodyssey said...

Well, if anyone can pull off "granny chic", you certainly can! ;)
The colors in your dress are gorgeous; the cut is chic and classic, but you've given it a whimsical youthful twist w/ those fun stockings. This is a winning look.

Pearl Westwood said...

I love the print it is very Erdem and £1!! Love the Nora Batty look x

M. said...

that dres sis beyond gorgeous and I love the shoes + socks look, so wonderful!

lovelove, M.
http://marissaexplains.blogspot.com

Glamour-Och-Fläskpannkaka said...

a lovely dress!

The Bambina said...

Great colors! You look so great.

BattyNora said...

Wooo!! A simply splendid choice of style icon my dear :)! As you can see, she is working pastel coloured lace and a chunky knit as well as those gorgeous stockings:D
Though i must admit, she would be jealous of the ensemble you have put together. I especially like how you used the pop of colour on the gloves to link in with the dress. The beautiful vintage stockings remind me of the socks from Burberry s/s 09, along with the khaki boots and 'outdoorsy' feel of the outfit!
I like how you used the hay-barn setting; the print of the dress seems to draw parallels with the rust on the iron and i love the shot where some of the hay is in shadow and you can see the backdrop of deep blue sky.
Overall a really 'spring-like' outfit, and i'm jealous of all the gorgeous finds you manage to unearth!
Omg Acorn Antiques is hilarious!!! I love Julia Walters, my favourtie scene has to be the one where she walks in wearing a ridiculous swimming costume!
xx

Bubu said...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hello Friend, I love love love your blog, it‘s very interesting!!! I really like your style!! i‘ll visit you many times for sure honey.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Zoe said...

You look so cute! I'm officially in love with your blog, and this post just kind of set it over the edge! Incredibly great! The print in your dress is so interesting by itself, but the items and accessories you paired it with make it so awe-inspiringly chic!

girlwiththeflower.blogspot.com

spoozyliciouzz said...

Great job on the outfit, as ever. I am really wondering what you will look like when you are really maturing and life is playing some foul tricks on you. I suppose you´ll only get more beautiful...and you will need that ability to climb over bushes and fences when wearing high heels soon enough, you´ll see...

Tastes Like More said...

This whole outfit is fantastic! I'm amazed at the combinations that you can pull off so effortlessly. Not everyone could pull this off. I love the stockings for sure, they look so soft and comfortable as well. And I covet your boots! I'd love stomping around the city in those.

tasteslikemore.blogspot.com

A and A said...

This could be an editorial spread... easy.
You look so gorgeous it hurts.

beauty. so happy to have found your blog.

xx
Peace and Love from San Francisco.
Alex and Amy

refusestolabel.blogspot.com

Dylana Suarez said...

The print on that dress is just stunning! The whole look reminds me of Dries van Noten, and I am obsessed with Dries van Noten!

the Citizen Rosebud said...

I'm with Zoe! You and your amazing blog have shot up to the top of my fave list!
The dress is wonderful...so into the color combo and with the teal gloves...pure fashion genius! The photos are so good, compliments to your photographer...and you are such a beautiful creature, Roz. xo. -Bella Q

Olivia Isabella. said...

Obviously you are a very established blogger and don't need comfirming that your blog is incredible... But, considering you are a fellow 14-year-old and I don't think praise ever gets old, I have awarded you the sunshine award :) You can check it out here... http://unionolivia.blogspot.com/

Rosie said...

This outfit is amazing. All the colors are my favorite: teal,taupe, and orange!

hilaryinspired said...

Lovely dress and lucky finds! Sounds like a wonderful holiday escape. Couldn't help but think of you with this post:

http://hilaryinspired.wordpress.com/2010/04/05/in-your-easter-bonnet/

Dina-Dyorre said...

Your blog has been one of my homepage tabs for a while now (oh the stalker confessions, haha), and yet I'm guiltily admitting that this is my very first comment! Anyway, every one of your photos inspires me beyond words, and this shoot is no exception. I wanted to ask about the flea market...could you possibly e-mail me what it was called, if it's not a secret of course? Because I've tried so hard to find a flea market in England and never succeeded, I sort of assumed it's something we don't have! I've been to a good few car boot sales though with my mum, which are similar to flea markets I guess...

Fashion By He said...

very pretty!! love the dress and high socks!!

come follow the first ever fashion blog from a guys POV, let He know what you think

fashionbyhe.blogspot.com

Clara said...

amazing look
love your blog
xxx

Izzy said...

Love the post! Just to let you know I've given you the sunshine award! Congrats ;)

http://swampedinflowers.blogspot.com/

Izzy said...

ohh I realised you have one already :O well please check out my blog ;)

rosie.elizabeth said...

I love this dress and the stockings, gorgeously put together look aswell!
Love your blog!
Rosie
x x x
www.bed--of--roses.blogspot.com

Gracie said...

Look at those shoes, wow!!!

Love the spot too

Aya Smith said...

You are so gorgeous, girl! Love your outfit :)
Hope you had a wonderful Easter!

Love,
Aya ♥ StrawberryKoi.blogspot.com

adrielleroyale said...

I am becoming more and more convinced that you would look good in just about anything! ;) Love those boots! ... Well, actually all your accessories! :)

Noemi Sunshine Ferst said...

Love these pics.
You are so pretty.
xx.

Sue said...

lovely outfit!

your pics are perfect as always!

Cath said...

Roz! You NEED to update your blog every single day, I'm going crazy here waiting for another post! Gosh ,there is so much beauty in this blog, seriously breathtaking and inspiring. I think you're on your way to becoming a major style icon. You're MY style icon anyway! (ok, that sounded a bit creepy). But you do inspire me. And WHY don't you have a thread on the fashion spot already?? You should be all over magazines with these looks! ok, that was a lot of praise for one post. To summarize, BEST BLOG OUT THERE and I want your wardrobe! oh, and would you mind stating your height? I know it sounds stalkerish, but I'm just curious!

Annie, Time Enough for Drums said...

I love that dress; it's gorgeous. And then paired with the tall socks and heels...it's just a bit unexpected in the best of ways. Love it. Annie.

daisymay said...

Love your gloves!! and your boots

hmw said...

i love this look.

x,
heather
www.ohmymisselouise.blogspot.com

"missnovember73" said...

Very nice sites and photos!!
Best regards
missnovember73

www.wellness-weise.blogspot.com

Claire said...

Wow what great pictures, I have done a couple like this before, modelling some shooting stockings.

You look amazing hope everything going well :)

Ludvik Zawada said...

are these socks or stockings? as I have seen a pair of the same vintage stockings I would like to buy but want to make sure they are stockings and not socks as need attaching to corselette & girdle.
Could the pair that you have worn be of a small size and perhaps you being tall.
If you could please help.
Your very pretty.