Saturday, 26 June 2010

As I walked out one midsummer morning (Plus one year bloggiversary!)


This is the result of my latest photography session with the ever wonderful Flo. A small departure from the usual outfit-plus-long-description-which-usually-involves-a-charity-shop-or-two formula, but still with added accessories!
Funnily enough, posting some photos taken by my good friend Flo fits in with my bloggiversary theme. A year (and a few days to be quite precise) ago, while recovering from being ill, I decided on the spur of the moment to create a blog. Another friend had introduced me to the concept of 'fashion blogging' by way of Sea of Shoes, Fashion Toast et al. I was so inspired, and already had some photos up my sleeve (well, on my hard drive) that I could use to set up this here blog - and who had taken them? Flo, of course! It all comes full circle.

Now that I think about it, this is a post celebrating creative collaborations. Flo had first asked if I fancied being her photography subject in the winter of 2008/09, long before the idea of being with a model agency and when my own interest in photography was a fledgling twinkle in my eye! (Or whatever the cliche is.)
This portrait series is only the sixth or seventh time I have worked with her (we both lead busy lives), but each time has been fantastic! However, sometimes it's hard to get the pictures as we're too preoccupied with chatting! I like working with Flo as it's a two way thing - I get to have a lot of input too, we discuss the ideas beforehand and I usually influence or sometimes style the outfits too.

Here the focus was on shadow and light, and I won't begin to describe how long it took us to find something to create the shadow stripes across my face! She took the photos in her gorgeous orchard, on a perfect midsummer morning while our parents drank tea together and read The Guardian. I also took some photos of her in said orchard. To warn you in advance, expect a big photography overload of all my behind-the-camera projects in the very near future! I've been busy in the last few weeks..
The sequined dress belongs to one of her friends and the two pearl necklaces (one faux, the other made up of 'imperfect' pearls - much more interesting if you ask me!) are mine. Gosh, I don't think I have ever written that little about an outfit to date! (Or probably ever will again - it feels unnatural.)

To go back to the idea of my bloggiversary, so much has happened in one year. It sounds cheesy, but I really felt welcomed into the 'blogging community' and have met some amazing people through Clothes, Cameras and Coffee. From correspondance with Judy Aldridge and meeting Jill, to my 'Blogger capsule collections'  and more outfit photo shoots than I can count, it has been a great year.
I've learnt PR skills, become very interested in photography (and developed my interest in fashion design!), honed my writing technique and become much more aware of styling both others and myself.

I now enjoy both being a model, and a photographer - I think the two roles compliment each other greatly. Being behind a camera gives one a much stronger awareness in front of it. (And vice versa, to an extent.)

The title is a reference to the book by Laurie Lee. I haven't started it yet, but it's third down in the pile of books on my bedside table. The minute I've finished reading 'A passage to India', then I want to start on Cider with Rosie (also by Laurie Lee.) Before going on to 'As I walked out...' It just seemed very apt for the mood of the photos as they were taken the day before Midsummer Solstice.

It really has been an interesting, challenging and wonderful year - and don't even get me started on what I have planned for the future! My mind is brimming with creative ideas, schemes and plans ready to put into action. Thank you to all my readers, commenters and lovely followers. Let's hope the year ahead is just as eventful.

47 comments:

Serina said...

Love the photos, I can't believe you only started this a year ago!

Haven't visited in a while because of exams, but your photos are beautiful as ever :)

Serina x

Carys said...

You look so lovely, these photos are so nice, and your hair looks beautiful!! Congratulations on the blogging anniversary!!
From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

Mister Eloquent said...

You seriously look sooo much like Sigrid Agren in those photos!

Diana Q. said...

I love your photos, they're always so enchanting! xoxo

Closet Fashionista said...

Love the photoshoot and happy bloggiversary! :D
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

mirror said...

classy, roz, as always! my favorite picture is the last one.
by the way, thanks for checking out my blog! :)
http://lifeimpressionss.blogspot.com
-m-

The Lady Nerd said...

Congratulations Roz! I'll have you know that your blog, amongst a couple others, has really inspired me to start my own fashion blog. Hopefully that will be up and running soon! I really do enjoy both reading and commenting on your blog. So many fashion blogs (with the insane amount that are out there!) seem to be simply "What I wore today" with not much thought behind them besides the proverbial, "it looked cool." You put so much thought and care behind yours. There aren't enough beautiful things in the world, so thanks for being one of them! :)

Blair said...

Your title reminded me of the Kate Rusby song, "The Game of All Fours":" As I was walking one midsummer's morning,
To hear the birds whistle and the nightingale play,
Was there that I met a beautiful maiden,
As I was a walking along the highway."

:)

Victoria said...

amazing photos! i love your blog sooo much!

Trishna said...

You are ethereal, simply breathtaking. :) Wonderful work on Flo's part

the Citizen Rosebud said...

Happy Bloggiversary, Roz. You have a remarkable blog, and I feel so lucky to have stumbled onto it.

Grace said...

Hi! I really like your blog and you! Thanks for the inspiration!

MellJBrown said...

LOVE the second last photo!!

-m xx

Tee Sea said...

I love the angles and soft feel of these photos :)

stop by my blogs!
http://dreamingchiffon.blogspot.com
http://notthathaute.blogspot.com

daisymay said...

Great post. I've been at this nearly a year now too, but am no where near as popular as you, but hope I ill be one day. Great photos as always!

Daisy Dayz Home

Dylana Suarez said...

Congrats on the anniversary! Your blog is so inspiring and you are such a wonderfully creative girl. I know you have an amazing road ahead of you!

DuckyGirl said...

Congratulations!
What a momentous occasion!
I noticed that this post also has a "mermaid" theme...
The dress is gorgeous. The pearls are an excellent touch.

notjustmedical said...

Happy blog birthday! Can't believe you've only been doing this one year, you have such fantastic style and your creativity and uniqueness really shines through your blog.

S
http://notjustmedical.wordpress.com

kristina said...

love it girl and congrats on the anniversary. your pictures are gorgeous. what kind of camera are you using? =]

mittenthud.blogspot.com

Pearl Westwood said...

Happy blog-birthday! It was mine last month and I totally missed it ;-(
Keep up the good work x

styleodyssey said...

congratulations on one year of excellent blogging, and all the valuable stuff learned! yours is a fine example of how a passion or hobby can turn into a career, teach us new skills, and/or introduce us to wonderful people...and more, as you have discovered. keep up the great work, roz. cheers to you! xo

Page said...

wow your pictures look amazing!! they always do.. :)
page

fashionist__ahead said...

amazing fotos..
:):)

Olivia Isabella. said...

Love your hair in these photos and I enjoyed my second look at the photos even more after you I read about the shadow and light theme!
Happy bloggiversary Roz! Here's to next year! Can't wait!
Olivia, UO x
http://unionolivia.blogspot.com/

Raez said...

very beautiful, my dear! wonderful lighting and shadows, and your dark lip color is fabulous!

congrats to your first blogiversary, and here's to many more!

kiss kiss,
raez

RedRose said...

Happy Blog Anniversary!
Can't wait for more posts, I absolutely love your blog.
You look so gorgeous in those photos!

http://lucystreasurechest.blogspot.com/

Davina said...

Your writing is so articulate and fluid, and you are so pretty, and did I mention that I love your style. :)

Sara said...

Great photos! Congrats on your anniversary : )

Birgitte said...

Congrats with the one year of your blog!
I really love your blog and your an amawing writer!
Xoxo Birgitte
http://fashionaccordingtobirgitte.blogspot.com

Flash! said...

love
keep following you honey

http://flashtheblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/b-at-boulevart.html

Paula said...

guauu ameizing picturees!=)

http://bymoonlightlullaby.blogspot.com/

Annie.T said...

i love your style.. even though its completely different to what i would usually be intrigued by. your blog and sense of style suits you very well!

xoxo

www.blackkcross.blogspot.com
www.blackkcross.blogspot.com

Nemesis said...

You are simply brilliant i MUST follow you

hilaryinspired said...

Congratulations, Roz! I have thoroughly enjoyed watching you learn and grow into a beautiful and amazingly creative young lady over the past several months that I have been following you. I think you have tremendous talent and I respect your unique and individual perspective on fashion and life in general. I am currently reaching my half-year blog birthday and have also loved joining the blogging community, mostly because of wonderful people like you. Best of luck in the coming year...I'll be here!

www.hilaryinspired.com

Lilpixie said...

Beautiful pictures and congradulations on your blogs anniversary!

Page said...

i love your second picture :)
your blog is really so amazing. i love it.
and thanks for your lovely comment! :)
page

rebecca said...

Your hair is beautiful (: And well done to Flo! These are amazing photos (:

http://itscohen.blogspot.com/

Liv said...

congratulations ! I love the photos.
I've given you an award on my blog , take a look :) xx

Cath said...

I completely agree with the person who said that you look like Sigrid Agren. I've always thought that you look like a cross between her and Lily Donaldson...brunette version of course! Anyway, happy blogiversary and to many more brilliant and inspiring posts!

Wendy said...

You are gorgeous! I love all your photography!

sayablack said...

Beautiful pics!!
and you look stunning.Are you really 15??
I just found your blog and I'll become your follower<3

XX
I'm a Japanese fashion designer.
If you interested in Tokyo,please check out my blog!
http://tokyofashionholic.blogspot.com/

Nadine2point0 said...

Love your captivating writing style! Just found your blog and love it!

said...

nice photos! I love your hairstyle!

xx T

feel free to stop by sometime!:)
myideaofstyle.blogspot.com

rouli said...

heyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!

cool blog here!!!!!!

u look really stunnin!!!!

love ur posts!

i followed u!

pls come visit and follow me back if u fancy too:))

kiss

www.thebeautifulandthehard.blogspot.com

Mary Lee said...

omg wow these photos are soso beautiful. i love all your outfits! :)

http://marylee31.blogspot.com/

FlorenceFox said...

roz i love how many people follow you! I can't get back on my blog account i forgot my password please help me set up a new one! much love, florence x

Raji said...

Congratulations on the blogivversary!
Sensational photos