Monday, 7 June 2010

The Green Woman






My parents take a lot of pictures of me for my blog, so I thought it was time to turn the tables!
This is a little mini-shoot I did with my mum just before half term. The light was beautifully golden and the bluebell wood seemed positively luminescent!
Now it may be obvious that there was rather a strong Tim Walker influence in the way I wanted these images to look, as I had been poring over the amazing book I was given for my birthday, not half an hour before heading up to the woods! That's what Tim Walker's images do to me: I always feel so inspired and ready to pick up the camera after flicking through just a few pages of his work.

I was also very influenced here by old folk-lore and fairy tales. In particular, the Green man (or woman in this case!) A mysterious individual who is part of nature, often depicted with a face of leaves. I always find myths fairy tales a very useful source of inspiration. I love the almost paper-cut-out 'baddies' and 'goodies.' The stories of princesses sleeping for a hundred years, vivid descriptions of gnarled forests and a world which gave stepmothers a bad name... I have a lot to thank the Brothers Grimm for!
I grew up with all those stories and more, so I suppose these images also link in with the idea of nostalgia. Fairytales are a remnant from our childhoods, a state of unbounded imagination and the belief that if we looked in the right tree we might just find fairies!

So full of ideas I dressed my mum in a silk monsoon dress from a charity shop and jewellery from various family members. (The bracelets are just necklaces wound around her wrist.) The mirror usually sits on my windowsill. I used that one as I liked the way the shape almost evoked a spear - one part green woman, one part woodland warrior.

I really enjoyed taking photos of her, even if she wasn't always the most willing model! ("Don't come too close, my wrinkles will show!") If you look carefully, in the third photo it kind of looks like she is growing out of the ground, as her feet are submerged in the grass.

Often for my photography shoots now, I make a moodboard to give a sense of the idea in my head. Here is the one I made for this project-


 

As you can see, lots of green tones mixed with a slightly ethereal feel and childhood nostalgia,with a hint of Ophelia in there! Oooh, that sounds a bit like a recipe..

I made a lot of these moodboards over half term, so I thought I'd share two others with you-


 

This one was inspired by 'Old school' hollywood glamour, of film reels, black and white and classic dressing. Again, a link with the idea of nostalgia and inspired directly by my 'M.G.M starlets brunch.'


 

Ever since seeing 'Where the Wild things are' I have wanted to stage a photo project of the same name, full of tree climbing and running around in the sun! This is a small representation of some of the ideas I had linked to the film title, full of colour and surreal images. Just need to assemble a motley collection of costumes now.

All images in the mood boards have been taken from magazines or leaflets (I keep massive boxes of clippings, postcards and pages I have torn out to riffle through!)




37 comments:

Darling L said...

You mum look amazing, you do really take great pics :) I wanna take some pics of my mum now

Zoe said...

Gorgeous shoot with your mum! Great idea!

Your blog makes me smile,
girlwiththeflower.blogspot.com

Tien said...

Now I know where you get your looks from! Your mother is stunning--what a classic beauty she is.

Closet Fashionista said...

Ooh great! I love her hair with the color of that dress
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Helen [In Elegance] said...

Great mood boards.

Irene° said...

great!!!

Martine : D said...

Wow you're really creative !

EllaPhante said...

I know this is going to be said a million times...but she is really,truly beautiful.That fiery hair against all the green really *makes* this shoot.
~Hedda
www.heddaclothing.com

My Republic of Fashion said...

Great pictures. Your mother's dress is a beautiful colour.SarahD

www.myrepublicoffashion.blogspot.com

mirror said...

aww, that is a really cute idea! i love the pics, and your collages are great!
-M-

life impressions

Carly said...

Thanks for your lovely comment, I'm glad you liked Animal Farm and 1984, they really are thought provoking like you said.

Your mood boards look really inspirational, I especially like the 'Where the Wild Things Are' one, I can't wait to see how you style this one.

p.s. your mums hair is amazing.

Carly. x x

www.dressedupdown.blogspot.com

Tati said...

you mom looks amazing!! I do the same things with inspiration boards, and every so often I need to throw out clippings because so many accumulate!

Maria said...

The collage ones are so nice! Nice location, too!

- Maria, from L.A.

inspirationl photos on my blog* check it out?

Tzoulia Kadoglou said...

you did a good job with your blog :)
i will visit u as soon as i can again.


I would like to prefer you my blog :
http://tzouliakadoglou.blogspot.com/

I try to show my readers and visitors all the new styles and inspirations,not in words.Only in pictures. So have a look.

You are welcome to be my new follower
Tzoules K

La Ville Inconnue said...

That's such a lovely idea!!! Beautiful photos, and that dress is lovely!!
From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

Hannah said...

That's a fantastic idea. What fun.
My favorite picture is the one where she's leaning on the tree and you can see her bare feet. That really does look magical. The Green Man would be proud.

The Lady Nerd said...

Haha, very cheeky that you'd turn the camera on your mum! (I've tried to do that before and been met with similar hesitancy to be photographed as you mentioned with your mom.) I absolutely love the pictures, with my favourite being the 4th one. It looks like a cross between an old Hollywood starlet photo (ala the Silent Era) and a John William Waterhouse painting. So congrats to you and your mum on a fine job!

MarchMusings said...

Amazing moodboards. You're lucky to have such verdant countryside there.

styleodyssey said...

so much to like here...
your mum is an ethereal beauty! wow- those red ringlets!! green is lovely on redheads.
these photos make me smile- i hope she'll agree to model again for future posts. she looks to be around my age...i see no wrinkles on her, but if they're there, so what? beauty is beauty. :)
wonderful post, dear roz!

Natalie said...

beautiful photos of ur mom! i love it :)

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

nancy : The Sway Report said...

Ahhh I love this! As soon as I saw your mum I thought, "Oh she finally did a photo shot of her mom!" I love reading about how much your family is a part of your life. I hope you never lose that treasure!

What a delight this post was! Keep 'em comin'!

:) xx
nancy

the Citizen Rosebud said...

I see where you get your good looks: your mom is gorgeous! Love those features and HER HAIR! Please tell her we are glad she's a model and that she should do so more often.

Your photos are incredible! You really are equally talented behind and in front of the camera Roz, and your "mood boards" make me postive that you are going to have a career BIG TIME in fashion. The next Grace Coddington, perhaps?

agnes said...

superbe...et les photos sont magnifiques

Leia said...

your mum is beautiful!

reckless daughter said...

how lovely!

danniekate said...

it says my comment was published? i didnt put one yet! uh oh...
anyway, your mum is seriously cool, i'm very jealous of her hair! lovely moodboards too :) hope you're good x

A Whimsical Girl Named Debbie said...

Love your blog, girl, & this post! Your Mom looks great! And I adore mood boards & yours are rockin! You're a very talented young lady! Glad I found your blog!

http://girlwhimsy.blogspot.com
http://closetfullofgoodies.blogspot.com

Daphne said...

I adore your blog. I really think you're going to have a great future, I mean you're sooo pretty (models are nothing when you see how beautiful you are)and you're immensly creative. I love to read all about your outfits and whimsical world. You're wonderful and I hope you hear this all the time because it is very true. :)
Love, Daphne
www.thesouvenirbox.wordpress.com

Pearl Westwood said...

You are getting to be quite the photographer as well as model! I can see where you get your looks from, your mum is so striking x

Fashion By He said...

nice dress, cool blog

come follow the first ever fashion blog from a guys POV, let He know what you think

fashionbyhe.blogspot.com

Isabell said...

really nice pics. I love the hair of your mum

Charleston said...

etherial and bohemian x

www.pinstripeprince.blogspot.com

Lexy @ Quirky Explosion said...

FABULOUS PHOTOS. What an adorable idea!

Kind of random, but your blog/ your style/ etc kind of reminds me of photos I've seen from "The Changeling." (Admittedly, I haven't even watched the movie, buuut, still...)

http://www.google.ca/images?q=the%20changeling&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

QUIRKYEXPLOSION.blogspot.com

Raez said...

wow! you're mom is goregous, I can see where you get it from:) this is a very lovely shoot too, and I love the inspiration.

xx raez

Cat said...

It's pretty much the epitome of the «celtic woman», I love it!
Now it's only fair that you do a post about your dad! It'd be great to see the person behind the lense. Plus, you wouldn't want to upset him by making him think that, contrary to your mom, he's not worthy of a blog post! (of course it is highly possible that he doesn't actually WANT to be photographed!).
Anyway, great job!

B. said...

your blogs really nice, i made one too after seeing yours :) but mine is still work in progress!
http://notonlydressesb.blogspot.com/

Trishna said...

You are an incredibly talented young woman you know. I love coming to your blog to get a sense of an otherworldly vibe. :)