Thursday, 15 July 2010

Photographic whimsy

My Work Experience/mini internship has consumed my week so  far, but it has been completely wonderful. I'm working with an independent clothing company which has given me valuable insight into running one's own business and I've already learnt quite a few new sewing techniques.

Today I'm posting what I fondly call my 'photographer outfit.' I remember reading a quote by Grace Coddington explaining how she dresses simply so the focus of her attention can be completely on the other people she styles. Well, this is as simple as I can go! Whenever I'm taking photos or styling I like to have a basic uniform comprising of a silk shirt, skinny jeans/ shorts (depending on the temperature), brown lace ups (not pictured here, but I'll feature them some other time) and a cardigan or jacket. So maybe you could call this outfit a variation on a theme?

I wore this ensemble when taking photos of my parents for a project, and I used the 'set' afterwards for my dad to snap a few quick images of me.
I wore a charity shopped silk jersey shirt (so comfy!), some charity shopped brown shorts - I like the cut and the slightly longer length, and a Tommy Hilfiger thrifted belt. The vintage jacket is from a local vintage market stall. Again, the tailoring is exquisite. Items like this never age, and the quality is always top-notch. I also added some pink pumps from Topshop... I have a real weakness for Topshop shoes, which I'm sure I've mentioned before! They've created the most sumptious brogue/ loafer fringed hybrids which I am still lusting after.
My hair was tied with a vintage silk scarf from a great-grandmother and the vintage camera was originally my grandma's. Although  this 'look' was simple, it still had an inspiration behind it - the ever chic Audrey Hepburn! Not in any of her films as such, but a take on the classic shots of her in tailored Ralph Lauren shirts and simple trousers.

I've also included some black and whites of my mum, taken for the aforementioned project. Here they are:



I've been working hard on monochrome photos recently (especially portraits) after seeing the stunning Irving Penn exhibition at the national portrait gallery. I also very luckily now own a book of his work, given to me by a lovely photographer friend for my birthday! Looking at Penn's images is like a masterclass in portrait photography as he completely capturesd the character of each individual, wrinkles and all! If I could ever get close to his level of skill then I'd be a very happy girl!

Edit: In the second photo of me, half my head has been chopped off. Stupid blogger template! Anyone have any idea how to change it?

34 comments:

Closet Fashionista said...

Oh wow love your outfit and the photos of your mom are GREAT! :D
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

hand pecked debb said...

Your mum is gorgeous. She's got the graceful aging I hope I will achieve someday.

Tastes Like More said...

Stunning, as usual! I love the pinks and browns of this shoot, and the whole set up in general. I really want to wear your whole outfit right now. It seems I need to go to England for vintage shopping - I have a hard time finding great items like this in Canada.

Your mother is a real beauty and I love the shots you took of her - so well composed.

annierama said...

Beautiful photos!!!
Where are doing an internship because I´m also looking for one and I know that my school would also let me doing one abroad !
It looks so adorable where you are living at! I would really like to go there !

the Citizen Rosebud said...

Irving Penn and his body of work are so incredible. His eye offered up so much more than mere fashion.

LOVE your photographer outfit, so chic! And those incredible portrait shots of your mother. You definitely inherited your good looks from mama!

AND: Her face is lovely, like a Bergman actress, or a writer or famous painter. Her expressions are wonderful, full of sensitivity and speak of hidden worlds where she alone walks, and we can only glimpse at.

Ellie jane said...

These pictures are all beautiful, usually I can pick a favourite but these are all absolutely stunning! Both you and your mother look wonderful, I love how you have worn your hair here, it suits you.

Leia said...

You and your mum look gorgeous :)

Leia's Delights

Molly said...

this shoot is amazing! so surreal and whimsical. I adore the setting and props...and your outfit is lovely! :D

Lucy said...

Its such a perfect outfit :) and i believe its all second hand, thats amaazing, it looks like topshop! I think its great that youre setting an example that reused clothes are great because were far too consuming of new products these days.. good job haha! the first two pics of your mum are lovely too and actually ive just done a shoot a little like yours where we made a set like that in a shed. Ill post about it soon xxx

Emily said...

I love the length of the shorts and the color of the jacket! I'll definitely have to try an outfit like that :)

I've been working as an intern as well, and I find it to be very difficult to dress professionally and still look my age. I think that you have mastered that balance!

Carly said...

I love this look on you, it almost reminds me of Annie Hall. I really like the soft feminine blouse and blazer paired with the old american sports style chino shorts. Very cute and preppy.

The photos of your mum are great, I especially like the one as if the camera was placed behind the books on the desk. The scale of the books to the hills makes it so interesting. Also the views of the hills is incredible. You must feel so lucky to live in such a beautiful location.

Thanks again for your comment.

dressedupdown.blogspot.com

Danielle said...

Breath taking photography. Where are you interning?

Kim said...

The photos are so incredibly lovely, you are just too beautiful! And I love the jacket. Regarding the pictures, I had the same problem and with me it helped to set my Blogger to a different design - you currently have Minima, I think, so just change it to Minima Stretch. Then you'll have a lot more space for your pictures!

Xx

Miss Woody said...

you're so beautiful ! great style

November Grey said...

I'm obsessed with that pink jacket.

PS - I added you as one of my top ten favorite blogs for "I heart blogs" day.

Stop by when you can...

Thanks for inspiring!

xx

November Grey hearts blogs

http://novembergrey.blogspot.com/

Raji said...

This outfit is absolutely lovelyyyy, so beautiful
And your photography is stunning, you really are greatly talented

TC said...

I love everything about your 'photographer outfit'! especially the shoes and jacket!

Anna G said...

Your photos are amazing. I wish I had a internship. Try adjusting the size of the image allowed, it's a little complicated but you can find tutorials using google.

Jazzabelle said...

beautiful photographs, the colour of your jacket is divine, and the set is just wonderful! thank-you for your comment, i'm around 5'7'', though i think sometimes i can look a tad taller because of my body shape.

love, jazzabelle. xxx

Page said...

wow this shoot is amazing!!! i love your outfit- it reminds me of a riding outfit :)
i love the 3rd and 4th pictures especially! :)
page

CalamityJem said...

Such dreamy & romantic photos!
...xXx

Gracie said...

Oh wow I love that first photo of you, you look great!
Really loving your blog at the moment, and that internship sounds amazing!

Esther said...

i love your photographer's outfit :) so simply yet elegant at the same time. great colours too <3 i think it's lovely that you take pictures of your parents, i think it's something that speaks volume of a relationship between parents & child

Miss Violet Bell said...

LOVE this post! So interesting and the photos of you and your mum are stunning :)

MVB.xx

kat said...

Roz
the jacket looks smart yet relaxed a v tricky thing to combine :)
I like the touch of your grandmas silk scarf in your hair.
My favourite of your beautiful mum is the full
length shot, where she's deep in thought
love kathryn x

Phillipe LeNerd said...

love it cute frenchy style
visit my blog all about black style http://lenerdfashionproject.blogspot.com/

The Man from Amsterdam said...

Love the photos, they are quite whimsical!

Raez said...

congrats on the cool job! wish i had a cool job like that when i started working. fast food joints are so...eurgh!

anyways, good luck with the job, lovely outfit as always, and of course, great photography!

xx raez

Pashupati said...

I love this.
Had recently the idea of a similar outfit but couldn't find anything that looked right "like in my head".

Fashion Cappuccino said...

Beautiful photos!! I love your jacket! And you're so talented!! xoxoxoxoo

Fashion is me said...

Wonderful look, the colors are divine, and error-free statement
Adam,
http://fashionsipartofme.blogspot.com

Cameron said...

Love seeing you and your mum in the same posting. As for the head cropping, try the html editor as opposed to the rich text or wysiwyg version. In it each image is shown as a link to its place in cyberspace. More to the point is its dimensional display: eg 500w x 333h pixels. Check to see how those default proportions match your original, especially if the image was cropped.

B r i said...

Ah, it is outrageous how beautiful and intelligent you are! A rare combination sometimes!

Sarah Rose said...

I love these photographs! Ver' quirky. :)

Rose. X