Saturday, 24 July 2010

Pillarbox Red

As I am sitting typing this, I'm also considering an imminent change of clothes from the below the knee floral Jaeger skirt I'm currently wearing (along with a ribbed black top plus a fifties black belt) into a baggy t-shirt, leggings and hair tied up with a scrap of fabric. What's happening here? Has the girl taken leave of her sartorial senses?
Nope, I am going to help my family repaint my brother's room. However this simple task threw up a slight conundrum - what do I wear? Not in the sense of caring about my appearance whilst painting, but because I don't really own any clothes I would want to go anywhere near wet paint in! In the end I've had to settle for some old pyjamas...

Here we have photos of the outfit I was wearing yesterday, made up of a few things purchased in Bristol, where I was doing my second week of 'work experience', but more on that later. (I think I stood out slightly walking down the high street of our local rural town in this get-up!)
I bought the red dress in a charity shop while I was away, and although it's not actually vintage,  it's still a pretty accurate imitation. I love that particularly iconic shade of 'pillarbox red', reminiscent of phone boxes and post boxes dotted around the British countryside. (As well as, of course, London double-decker buses!)
The grey floppy hat is from a vintage shop I was introduced to by the friends I was staying with in Bristol,  and I will definitely frequent it again. (I also managed to pick up a silk Jaeger scarf for a pound!)Then, working on a red and grey theme, I added a thrifted Topman long sleeved top underneath (rolled up so you can see the Victorian silver bangles properly!), grey tights, a thrifted necklace and that favourite old piece of mine - my paternal grandmother's 'guides' belt. I bought the little brown bag in a charity shop and have been pleasantly surprised by the usefull-ness ever since, despite the size.
The brown lace-ups are also what I call my 'photographer shoes' as they are very durable, sturdy and comfortable. I bought them for £2 in a charity shop a few months ago. I don't usually wear such short dresses, so I needed to add a healthy dose of 'granny chic' to the outfit to balance it out!

My dad took the photos in a favourite field of our family's that is a three minute walk away. It is almost poetically overgrown at one end, while wheat stretches out in a long arc at the other. Numerous outfit posts for the blog have been set here in different seasons! I decided on a slightly sixties influenced feel for the poses and photography, which was a lot of fun to work with.

My second week of work experience (mini internship) was such fun. I was working with a family friend of ours who runs a card and giftwrap business. She got me working on my own design, inspired by a silk scarf.. I am now full of inspiration and ideas for textiles designs to complete this summer! She taught me the rudiments of photoshop, which is much appreciated, and I now really want to get Photoshop Elements - for design purposes only though! (I still have a rule of not editing photos.)
As well as this we had a day of photography at the Bristol Docks , I got to see 'The Red Shoes' on the big screen (yes, I am more than slightly obsessed with that film), we saw 'A Single Man' (extraordinary attention to detail, and I really agree with the message about noticing the little details in life) and enjoyed the beautiful Bristol scenery.

So today is the first 'official' day of the my school summer holiday, and I can start to do all the things I listed a few posts ago! Do you have any specific creative plans for this summer?

33 comments:

Go With The Flo said...

lovely hat. red and grey go v well together x

Jessica / Lola Vintage Clothing said...

love the red with the grey, what a nice combination.

Ellie jane said...

This dress is gorgeous! Its the first day of my summer to can't wait!

Victoria said...

beautiful outfit!

Carys said...

These photos are beautiful, what a great location! Your outfit is so nice, I love your hat!!
From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

Kit said...

You look super gorgeous in that outfit.
A new fan.

Kit
http://styleslicker.com

the Citizen Rosebud said...

Of course you look gorgeous in these photos (kudos to pops for being such a great shutterbug) but let's talk styling. AWESOME. you put together a grand ensemble that is very mod and '60's, even the color combo fits perfectly in that era. The fact that you actually consider what type of poses to do makes for even more admiration from me, and yes, your stance harkens back to the Ginger Girls and Miss Twiggy. Well done! Again!

Enjoy your holiday!

Pearl Westwood said...

I was in Bristol on Monday for work, such a lovely place. I didn't have time to visit any shops unfortunately. Great outfit, really practical but still stylish is often hard to get right but you nailed it x

Miss Violet Bell said...

That dress is fabulous! The combination of colour is lovely.. and love your hat :)

MVB.xx

Aya Smith said...

This is absolutely beautiful! The pop of red is perfect amongst the dreary colors of the woods :)


Aya of Strawberry Koi

Merlyn Macella said...

love your hat <3

http://voguemarcelino.blogspot.com

Wild Flower said...

Fantastic how you have created this 2 tone colour outfit! Adore the first photo with its winding path fading into the distance and you in the long grass on the hill...the colours stand out so well against the lush grass. You have a timeless beauty and I have raved about your incredible grace and elegance before but must tell you again! Stunning hat !! x

adrielleroyale said...

Such talent! You really do have quite the knack of putting things together so well!! And your photographers...just fantastic :) You should have your own magazine or something.

November Grey said...

I am loving this outfit. LOVE. And my summer is going to be full of walks to the beach in bohemian goodies, redecorating our bungalow, and a joint venture with another blogger. Happiness!

xx

http://novembergrey.blogspot.com/

Emma said...

that color red is so cheerful, it makes me smile:)

Diana said...

You look so beautiful in red and I love your cool heat.
www.dianas-fashion.blogspot.com

Carly said...

You look absolutely amazing in all of the shots but I especially love the first one. Your pose is incredible, it's so simple yet it looks amazing next to the path veering the opposite way.
I really like the striking red dress that stands out so much against the different shades of green of the foliage.

Glad you enjoyed your internships.

Thanks for your comment, I'm definitely going to look into getting a vintage vanity case for my stylist kit, what a great idea. I can't wait to hear about what you have planned for summer, I'm sure you'll get up to lots of creative adventures.

Carly. dressedupdown.blogspot.com

Kim said...

I love how the red and grey complement each other, the simple cut of the dress, and most of all, the hat plus side braid - so perfect!

Xx

Briana Le & Merissa Ren said...

I love the fifth picture! you're gorgeous and i love the red brown grey:)


xxmeriss
merbri.blogspot.com

Indie.Tea said...

What a gorgeous outfit! I love the red shift dress and the hat is wonderful too.

Christy said...

Great photos! You are just stunning, and I really love the combination of red and gray.

Lee Oliveira said...

love the pictures..
your body language is fantastic..
any camera would love that.
LOx

naomemandeflores said...

Cute red dress, you look lovely!

Raez said...

lovely photos as always! I love your red and blue ensemble, the second last photo is my favourite!

xx raez

Leather and Lace said...

amazing color on you <3
XOXO

http://www.leatherlaceblog.com/
http://www.leatherlaceblog.com/

Taryn said...

love the pop of color in this outfit, you look totally classic and glamorous

Darling L said...

The red fits you good! :) In love with your hat (sigh) :)

Miranda said...

I love that pop of red with the neutrals. Fantastic!
http://washingtondcfashion.blogspot.com/

Gabriela said...

How did you get to watch The Red Shoes on big screen? I think is a great movie I can't believe you're only starting your holidays while I have to go to school in just two more weeks and the summer is almost gone, my advice is: have a lot of fun, be creative and enjoy everyday because before you realize your free days are gone ( Kind of what happened to me). Happy Vacations!

Sit Under the Apple Tree said...

Delightful outfit, love the red. You write so eloquently too! I study in Bristol - please do share the name of the vintage shop, I'm always looking for new places to visit!

Trishna said...

I'm completely smitten with the scenery and your contrasting coloured outfit. :)

Christina said...

This hat is dreamy!! It suits you so well!

Kate said...

I love the stand out red its amazing and looks great on you. The pearls are gorgeous too and I love the vintage floppy hat! Overall brilliant look!

www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com