Sunday, 4 July 2010

Thinking thirties thoughts


This little crepe number is my latest vintage acquisition, purchased from a wonderful local vintage fair.. Even better, I have found out that this fair happens once a month! Hmm.. Significant sums of money might just make a magic disappearing act (once I've worked out how to earn it!) I nearly didn't buy the dress as I wasn't sure I could justify spending £30. However, the two deciding points were, one, that it fitted like it was made for me, and, two, the stall owner then offered it to me for £20 as it has some minimal damage. Well I couldn't just leave it hanging forlornly, could I? It might have got lonely..
Where to start with its virtues? Let's begin with the bias cut. I have a particular love for bias cut thirties drapery: so reminiscent of the days of Greta Garbo and Ginger Rogers. And as a passing woman remarked while I was discussing the dress, "Bias cut was made for film stars to look good in while lounging on sofas." I love the simpicity of the design, along the comfortable crepe.
Then there is the colour, one part green and one part grey. I like to think of it as a very 'sea froth' shade. And to finish my little soliloquy about this garment I shall mention that it is handmade and has the most fantastically erratic set of fastenings - a mixture of hooks and eyes and poppers in a weird z shape.

Here I added a pair of silver Betty Jackson shoes found in a charity shop. She is another British designer who I admire, and her clothes are incredibly covetable. I like the slight art deco influence on these shoes. I also put on a crystal necklace (present from my parents) and a small satin purse I found inside a vintage handbag of my great-grandma's.

My dad took the photos this morning - the weather was very wet, but the slightly dull light seemed to compliment the scene. I love this chair, complete with removable footstool section! And a little leather bound Shakespeare never goes amiss, especially when it matches the shade of the dress! My favourite of his plays is A midsummer Nights Dream.
The rest of the morning was spent drinking coffee and reading newspapers before persuading my little brother to pose for some black and white photos. 

On another fashion related note, I watched updates from Graduate Fashion week with a mix of interest and jealousy - being interested in all the amazing graduates, and jealous about the fact that I wasn't there to see it all in person!
There were quite a few designers who caught my eye, and I want to share one of them with you...


Nathalie Tunna is one of my favourite new graduates. Now you often hear the term 'modern classics' being bandied about in fashion magazines, but I really feel that Nathalie fits that label. Her clothes are classic with good quality tailoring, but there are innovative details such as the 'eyelash peplum' too. The colours are neutral in the best possible sense - very pale blues, creams, navies etc. I would very happily wear her pieces, and I never thought the adjective delicious could be used to describe clothes, but they certainly can in conjunction with her bags!
For a more cohesive and eloquent review of her collection, then take a look at the article by Style Bubble.

I have also just flicked through my new Vogue and the collections report, and after seeing everything ptu together, Oh My Goodness! is a good way to describe my response. So much to covet.. How can I possibly get my hand on one of those Prada dresses? Or an Erdem floor length dress? Or anything from the Chloe collection? To cut a long list short, this is one of the most desirable seasons for me yet.

I was overwhelmed by your very lovely comments in response to my latest photography post! I can't wait to share part two with you..

38 comments:

eva-christa said...

Amazing shoot Love it !!
La Bise
'ECH from pAris
www.evachristahiag.blogspot.com

Lemondrop Marie said...

What a lovely dress indeed, and it does look perfect for lounging on sofas- just the right drape.
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
Purseapalooza giveaway

Flash! said...

adorable post...
love

Aria said...

I really love the first and last pics of this post! Tell your Dad the composition is beautiful!

Are you going to post the pics you shot of your brother?

Carys said...

That dress is amazing, and what an amazing deal you got on it too! I am slightly obsessed with 30s bias cut dresses (despite the fact that I don't own any, which makes the obsession a bit wierd), I am so jealous of your lovely outfit! You look so nice too, you have such lovely hair!
From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

Closet Fashionista said...

Love your outfit and the ones you posted! so great :D :D
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

revital said...

gorgeous photos! you look amazing!

The Lady Nerd said...

You have such long limbs! (Perhaps it's rather redundant of me to say as I'm sure you hear it alot, but it does stand out!) I do agree that that dress was made for you. The colour compliments your skin, brings out your contrasting hair and features, yet drapes very nicely on you. Chic, yet modest, yet well...classy! The 4th photo is my favourite - very Vivien Leigh. :)

daisymay aka Chantele said...

great photos! Will we get to see the B&W's of your brother? i love betty jackson too, especially her underwear, which you can often find in TKMaxx at half the prize! She has a subtle older elegance about her clothes. Love the graduate stuff too, that first outfit is stunning!
Daisy Dayz Home

fashion fletcher said...

I love your outift! Great blog! Come visit & follow:

http://thefashionsalute.blogspot.com/
http://thefashionsalute.blogspot.com/
http://thefashionsalute.blogspot.com/

Leia said...

That is a truly lovely dress.
Leia's Delights

starcakeastrology.blogspot.com said...

these fashions are lovely... your pictures are so pretty! your eyes are so haunting in the one laying on the floor and that green radio is just darling

Valentina said...

You're so feminine and pretty!Love your blog.
I'm following you!

Valentina from Fashion Trotter – 100% italian street style

http://fashiontrotter.blogspot.com

Billie Kinson said...

Beautiful photos. Incredibly beautiful dress.

billiekinson.blogspot.com

Juliet said...

Love the pictures!
and also the dress!
xxx

Daphne said...

lovely.:)

Olivia Isabella. said...

Love the colour palette of this shoot. My favourite shot is the standing one; so elegant Roz, you look beautiful!
Brilliant pick from the week. My favourite, the shape, cut and structure is incredible. And the mint, cream... I makes me slightly melancholic when I think about my wardrobe upstairs...
Looking forward to seeing part two also!
UO x
http://unionolivia.blogspot.com/

Page said...

wow this shoot is amazing! :)
page

RedRose said...

I couldn't have left that beautiful dress on the rails either, and for £20 it was a bargain.
The pictures are gorgeous.

http://www.lucystreasurechest.blogspot.com/

the Citizen Rosebud said...

I knew it was your father's photos! I'm starting to be able to tell his style. He's so good at a strong and striking compositions. I think I have a serious blogger crush on your entire family, Roz.

You look splendid! A classic beauty in that dress. Such a film noir heroine.

Looking forward, as always to your next post.

mirror said...

as always, Roz, lovely :)
-m-
http://lifeimpressionss.blogspot.com

November Grey said...

You are amazing at vintage finds! Every time I read your blog I itch to go thrift shopping!

http://novembergrey.blogspot.com/

LyddieGal said...

I love your new dress and the necklace you've paired it with. So elegant.

Chic on the Cheap

danniekate said...

you remind me of keira knightly in THAT atonement dress here. we love vintage!

FESI-FASHION said...

I just discovered your blog and I really love it, thanks for sharing!
Nice dress too.

xx fesi-fashion

polka dot said...

Oh Roz I've got a lot of catching up to do! I've lost track of who emailed last - will go back and check - but even if I don't visit I'm here in spirit. I LOVE this shoot. But also, the interior: is that your home? That is so our taste.

LOVE that dress, that colour, the room, everything. I think the shot of your face lying on the floor is my favourite. But even more incredible.. I shot that graduation show, and I was saving up the post of those shots from Nathalie Tunna's collection because she was, by far, my favourite of the show. I'll let you know when I've posted on it, and link back to this lovely post.

Better run - haven't even posted yet this morning - I can see I've got a lot of catching up to do! Hope to see you soon, & hope you're having a lovely summer sweet pea. Big hug to your mum & well done to your dad, excellent shots as always: hope we can all meet up soon!! xo

Daphne said...

thank you for your sweet comment.;) and i wanted to ask you something: did you ever read The Book Thief? I think you'd quite like it, I know I loved it to bits and pieces.:D
love
Daphne
ps: sorry for commenting twice on this post and just a little thought of mine: you are amazing. xx

Vera and Rudy said...

Roz, this is one of your best shoots (my compliments to your Dad!) Between the two of you you have created a feel of the thirties - that dress really does sit on you very well. And little did I know when I gave your family that lovely designer armchair, that it was going to serve perfectly the dress you are wearing - Oscar Woollens was the shop I bought it from - a great Furniture "designer" shop which used to be in London. I belive that design won some prize....Good work from all - I am sure your mum had also something to do with it! Babi

styleodyssey said...

so elegant, roz. i would swear you are from another time, another era in which elegance was valued. really a lovely post.

Louise Somerville said...

Your blog is so wonderful. I am so impressed amazed and inspired every time I read and look at your blog. your photos are are to beautiful and the clothes you wear are so vintagey and striking.
Feel free to drop by my blog
much blogger love to you
Louise

what dia like said...

few weeks ago i wrote a post about your blog, i love it!

www.whatdialike.com

Glamour Bbey. said...

Hayhay!
How are you? Your blog is great and I love your style! I'm glad that I've visited yours.

Please, check mine, & maybe we can follow eachother? + join my giveaway!
Thanks and love,
Cindy

rebekkaseale said...

OMG...that is so gorgeous. YOU are so gorgeous!!!

Luna : said...

you look like you have just stepped out of the TV drama "foyles war", beautiful!

Raez said...

gorgeous! you are definitely looking very thirties here. wait, no, i think you could look like any era...you are just such a classic beauty!

keep up the awesome styling and beautiful shoots:)

xx raez

Ploy Henderson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Olivine said...

Ok, now, I love your blog. There is emotion in your pictures, I really appreciate that.

surlespavesdeparis.tumblr.com

Guille said...

Hermosisimo blog. este es el post que mas he disfrutado, muy cuidado cada detalle, cada vez que lo vuelvo a ver lo descubro nuevo, dinamico como la belleza. un saludo desde argentina. Guille