Thursday, 19 August 2010

Dressed up for den making

Now, when I got back from the Big Chill, a little over a week and a half ago, what was my first thought? Not "ooh, I actually have a whole house to live in, as opposed to a length of fabric and some poles"? No, it happened to be - let's go and make a den in the garden... Okay, so my brother co-erced me into helping him make it - however it was very enjoyable! There was one major difference though, this would be a den I could stand up in! Nothing like being hunched over for four days to make you grateful for high ceilings.

So, armed with a multitude of blankets and rugs, lots of clothes pegs, the frame of our swing and some not-very-robust gardening canes, we proceeded to create a little 'hang out space' for the afternoon. It was rather idyllic, reclining in there and reading 'The Moomins' aloud to little brother (I love those books!), eating yummy food, reading 'A Room with a View' and roasting marshmallows in the evening. Even having to dismantle the den very speedily ahead of impending rain didn't mar the day.

And (of course!), the den also then played host as a backdrop, with both parents taking photos. However, it was pretty dark in the actual structure, so I had to emerge into the light. I wanted an outfit that would be a total juxtaposition with the setting - so in the end I took a classic Russian princess, mixed with Alexander McQueen A/W 08 (a girl in a 600 hundred year old elm tree sounds like it was made for me! Definitely one of my favourite collections of his) as my inspiration.

This was achieved with a long lace skirt from a charity shop stall at the Big Chill, along with a big underskirt, and my favourite blue fifties jacket from a local vintage shop - the crafted tailoring never ceases to amaze me. I then added a faux fur stole (also from the same charity shop stall at the Big Chill!), beige and dark blue t-bar shoes from ebay and a silk scarf from the much-mentioned hatbox full of inherited scarves. The blue ring used to belong to my great-grandma, who collected costume jewellery.

I've been doing my hair in this style quite a bit recently, after working out how to do it in three minutes. The method is as follows:
1.) Take a thin silk scarf or length of fabric and tie your hair in a top knot.
2.) Bunch the leftover fabric in your hand and wrap your hair around it to create a loose bun shape.
3.) Keep in place using a lot of kirby grips and some big clips.
4.) Tie a silk scarf under it.

Et voila! Hair a la Audrey Hepburn in a matter of minutes.. I am very low maintenance, so this suits me fine. A reader recently asked if I might describe my beauty routine, so here it is:

I use an exfoliating facial scrub on my face every now and then, and that's about it in terms of beautifying! Make-up (if I'm wearing any) comprises of brown Body Shop eyeliner, a bit of mascara and either vaseline or lipstick (Rimmel does great shades of reds and golds). Sometimes I use Too faced 'Liquif-eye' liquid eyeliner if I want to dress up.

Hair wise, I use Tresemme shampoo and conditioner and my morning routine usually consists of brush-and-go! I very occasionally curl my hair, but try not to use any styling products or hair appliances regularly, to avoid damage. I combed it straight recently, and it's nearly waist length!

Talking of questions, I've been thinking about maybe doing a Q&A post soon - so please do fire away, the quirkier the better!

This is my first atttempt at a scheduled post (being away on holiday right now, which might explain a noticeable lack of response. This summer has been so unbelievably action packed!), so I hope it's  all gone according to plan. I'll look forward to catching up when I get back.

44 comments:

The Lady Nerd said...

I absolutely adore this series! Everything works together so well, from the attire to the lighting to the wonderfully bohemian sheet fort. I used to love sheet forts when I was kid. I'd make them in my room all the time. Aah....good memories. What intrigues me about your set-up is all the different textures of each blanket and sheet. Some of them are completely opposite from each, but the contrast works great.

I wouldn't mind seeing a small photo tutorial on how you did your how. I'm low maintenance to the point of being a dunce about how to do anything with my hair besides nothing or a slick back ponytail.

I think you look lovely both with your hair up and down (you lucky gal!). With hair like yours it doesn't seem like you'd have to do much maintenance to keep it looking fabulous.

alexandratherese said...

Hi Roz,

I first visited your blog after seeing your feature in The Sunday Times Style magazine. I am on holiday and spent the whole of my library internet usage hour yesterday reading your blog. You have a beautiful way of using your camera and your photos are mesmerising. I am a teenage girl interested in fashion and vintage like you, and I have linked you on my blogroll as I find your posts inspiring and uplifting. Please take a look at my blog and link back to me if you like what you read. We need more girls like us writing blogs on the things we love - fashion, music, books etc.

Good luck with everything,

Alexandra Thérèse xxx

www.alexandratherese.com

Ruby Jo Cloud said...

What do you want to work as when you are "older"?

www.rubyccino.blogspot.com

Ruby
xxx

Closet Fashionista said...

So much fun! I love the photos and looks! :D
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

Your hair is lovely and I adore all the happy colours in your den by the way. As for the head-dress - it's especially pretty - the colours are just smiking at me! Enjoy the holidays;-)

Paula said...

the Hair a la Audrey Hepburn is ameizing!
one day i do this!!
xoxo


http://bymoonlightlullaby.blogspot.com

annierama said...

Your dress is amazing! on the fourth photo you are looking a little bit like mischa barton as she haven´t been addicted to alcohol and drugs and all this and as she have really looked good!

My Republic of Fashion said...

This is such a gorgeous outfit. Love the skirt!SarahD

Ellie jane said...

I love the outfit, the pictures are beautiful my favourites being the 3rd and 4th and hair, I'm going to have to try it myself!
I used to enjoy making dens in my house and garden, might start again sometime! I also love the moomins the books and the animated television series. And I also am fan of Florence and the machine, I love Florence's image as well.

Lady Moriarty said...

This skirt is lovely and the hair amazing, shame my english is not good enough to understand the method !

See U !

laseulerouquine said...

Thank you for answering my question about your hair and make up routine - I completely agree with you about avoiding heat damage to your hair.
A beautiful blog post, as always!

laseulerouquine said...

Thank you for answering my question about your make up and hair routine - I completely agree with you about avoiding heat damage by only styling it as infrequently as possible.
A beautiful blog post, as always!

Pearl Westwood said...

You really suit your hair in the scarf, hope ur enjoying ur holiday xx

polobandit said...

You look totally gorg. I love everything about these pix! Bravo!

cheese said...

WOW.
I want that outfit!
And the den...
I love your hair like that. :-)

Jen said...

I'm always anxious to see your next post. The photos you share are always so beautiful and creative!

http://www.stylethroughhereyes.com

Kate said...

Wow I'm the first to comment! I love this look- especially the skirt and the hair it looks amazing!

for the q&a- do you ever dress down in a casual t-shirt and shorts or do you always dress really fashionably?? Plus, how long does it take you to chose what you wear every day?

Thanks


www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

Tee Sea said...

Gorgeous outfit!!

stop by!
http://dreamingchiffon.blogspot.com
http://notthathaute.blogspot.com

styleodyssey said...

sounds like a terrific summer.
with beauty routines, i think simple is best. you've found what works for your skin- that's great!
your outfit is brilliant- how lovely you look!

creative bug said...

very innocent and pretty :)

purelovefashion said...

Love the fur and t-bar shoes.
Gorgeous, flawless face too :) lucky!

www.purelovefashionn.blogspot.com x

Sarah said...

I've cut and pasted your instruction for the scarf 'do onto my desktop and look forward to doing it sometime in the near future!

Rianna Bethany said...

Great post, i'm going to give the hair style ago
Rianna xxxx

adrielleroyale said...

What fun backdrops!! Beautiful pictures as usual! :)

T. said...

Love your skirt!

Raez said...

ah! your outdoor den is absolutely fantastic/beautiful/magical! perfect for entertaining wood creature friends and having tea parties:)

i also really love the outfit, especially the stole!

xx raez

Dylana Suarez said...

I find your face so interesting. Love your hair up like this. the head wrap adds just the perfect retro touch!

Olivine said...

Beautiful hair !
And I like how you write :)

http://surlespavesdeparis.tumblr.com/

Juliet said...

Love your style because it's so different, always!
I really like your beautiful pictures! you look fantastic!
amazing darling!
xxx

Kim said...

Really- that's all the makeup you use? Oh, to have flawless skin and rosy cheeks without needing interference from foundation and massive amounts of blusher; lucky bastard! (:

I love these shots; not a big surprise, as I always adore your outfits. And den-making sounds so lovely as well!

kat said...

I wonder how long till you are in the pages of a magazine in an editorial spread Roz. You certainly could style and model in the shoot too. But in the meanwhile you are creating so much "work" experience for yourself here.
I love your hair like that, so effortlessly done yet so chic at the same time. Just like the outfits you wear,
love kat x
Ps the den is fab!

jay said...

You're so gorgeous. I visit your blog all the time, it's always nice to see a new post from you. I love how effortlessly you wear all your vintage and charity shop finds. It's incredible. You've got true style.

Romy said...

really nice pics! also i read the alicia post and i love it! congratulations for the blog!

XoXo

http://nightwriterequiem.blogspot.com/

Denise said...

girl, what can i say but you're getting prettier and prettier. lovely photos.

I am Denise Katipunera

Laura said...

Great look!!

danniekate said...

the big chill! my friend alice's family go every year, i hope you enjoyed it. i'm still partial to a bit of fort building too :) x

Kaysens nye klæder said...

I just jove your hairband! :)

kaysens.blogspot.com

Nolita said...

Love the hairdo!

-Nolita Vintage
http://www.nolitavintage.com/

daisymay aka Chantele said...

I love your hair tied up in the scarf like that. Your outfits are always so beautiful and creative. Your wardrobe must be so amazing. Daisy Dayz Home

Eleanor Bell said...

You are breathtakingly beautiful!

I'm glad to see you did some lovely charity shopping at Big Chill this year, I did too - bought a wonderful sheepskin coat for just £5 from the Oxfam tent, which made me very excited...

Anyway, stunning outfit, and a great read too x x x

mary said...

A beautiful shoot as always. I love the blond fur paired with the navy jacket. Your hairstyle is gorgeous as well-it reminds me of Prada's fall collection.
My questions: who are your fashion idols, and what different types of style do you like besides vintage (bohemian, romantic, etc.)?

The Village Idiot said...

JUST DISCOVERED YOUR BLOG- LOVE YOUR STYLE- IT'S REALLY ECLECTIC AND AMZING

hasrul hassan said...

Nice composing .. either the photos and the journalism attached to it.

hasrulhassan.blogspot.com

Zoë said...

Wow, I think this has to be one of my favourite looks of yours, it makes me cringe a lot when I look back to when I was your age and I was going through my black phase! Your family are very accommodating to be taking pictures of you, I adore the cosy little tent you created!