Monday, 23 August 2010

Not just in Fairytales..


Way back in May when it was my birthday, I mentioned a certain Chanel dress given to me by a very good family friend - or should that be fairy godmother? I was totally blown away when I unwrapped the tissue to find this grey tweed beauty nestling there. I was already feeling quite Chanel that day, being dressed in men's silk pyjamas (but that's another post!) at an 'MGM starlett's birthday brunch' celebration (hosted by the BFG - Best Fairy Godmother). So the dress was (to borrow a slightly cliched phrase) the cherry on top of the cake. However, I don't like glace cherries, so maybe 'a fresh of the tree cherry' or 'elaborate icing' or 'interesting Bompas & Parr style embellishment' on top of a cake might be more appropriate in this case.

I'm always inspired by fairy tales and traditional stories, but I'm still overawed by real life fairy godmother waving a magic wand and sprinkling of Chanel faux pearls in my direction! Perhaps I should just start a little tickbox alongside each post of things I like to regularly mention: Jaeger, Fairy-tales, photography, family owned clothes... Need I go on?

Now, as you know, my style usually tends to consist of charity shop mixed with vintage, a pinch of inherited pieces and maybe the occasional bit of topshop thrown in there. However, that doesn't stop me loving the goods and the greats - classic Chanel being way up at the top. Looking at it up close, you really get a feel for the fabric quality and structure - grey satin linig and all! I'd love to know which collection it's from - does anyone have any idea?
The family friend who gave it to me said she thought it might be a runway sample, as the lining isn't completely even inside. However, this just makes it all the more special and idiosyncratic for me.

With an item like this, where to start with the styling? Who needs a necklace with a neckline as embellished as that? Along with sleeve edges, hem and pocket tops? Luckily inspiration came in the form of a hat my mum bought from the Big Chill, which happened to match the fabric of the dress perfectly. From then on it became easy - grey vintage leather gloves from the much-mentioned box of great-granny's gloves, a faux pearl bracelet (from the same 'fairy-godmother'), one of my favourite pairs of charity shopped shoes and vintage sunglasses I bought in Edinburgh last summer.

My dad took the photos at an amazing beauty spot (on the way back from a day out) Even the striking standing stones complimented the tones of the dress! We were incredibly lucky with the light and visibility, meaning we could see for miles around - possibly one of the most beautiful views in Britain. Luck stayed with us as almost the minute we were back in the car, the rain started spitting down.

I actually have some separate photos that my good friend Flo took of me in this dress on another occasion, but the shots are so wonderful I thought I'd save them for a post of their own, after a decent interval! 

Talking of Chanel, I really want to see the 'Coco & Igor Stravinsky' film. Has anyone already seen it? And if so, what did you think?

I had a lovely holiday, and was greeted on return with a host of very wonderful comments. I always appreciate everyone who takes the time to write, especially on my own photography posts - a few more of which might be springing up soon. I have so many photo projects planned for the next few weeks. The start of a new term is looming its head - time to finish cramming in the creative projects...

45 comments:

Carys said...

Wow, that dress is so amazing, and you have accessorized it perfectly. What a brilliant look!
From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

pearl said...

lovely lovely lovely dress!

love,
http://artyaffair.blogspot.com

The Collar of the Dove said...

that is one amazing dress, you look totally fabulous!!!

devilishlypleasurable said...

lucky you! those gloves just tie the picture in so perfectly :)

Catherine said...

What a gorgeous dress! As I was scrolling through the photos, I immediately thought, "That looks like Chanel . . ." A marvelous birthday gift!

I haven't seen Coco & Igor, but if you're looking for Chanel movies, you should check out "Coco Avant Chanel." It's a beautiful movie, and Audrey Tautou is fantastic as Coco Chanel.

- Catherine at Littlehouse of Style
http://littlehouseofstyle.blogspot.com/

Jen said...

You look absolutely stunning! I love your Chanel Dress and the hat is so amazing. Beautiful as always <3

http://www.stylethroughhereyes.com

Mirror said...

Roz, you have such a lovely writing style! I really love reading your posts.
the photos are wonderful, and that dress is simply fantastic!
-m-
http://lifeimpressionss.blogspot.com

Closet Fashionista said...

Gorgeous, as always!
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Calamity Jem said...

Wow, you lucky girl!
You look absolutely lovely.
The dress is stunning, the hat is fab and as for the photos PERFECTION!
...xXx

Suzannah said...

It looks soooo gorgeous! I'm loving the photos.

T. said...

Love both the dress and the landscape in the background!

Pearl Westwood said...

WOW! Lucky you, the dress is absolutely beautiful!!
If you email me a photo of the lable and lining (if it is printed) I can try find out when its from for you, as you know I am quite well educated in Chanel xx

Floz said...

I like those shoes!

Romy said...

nice vintage outfit!you are pretty!
i´m doing everyday hairstyles tutorials, especially romantics ones, goods for back to school, so if someone is interested check out
http://nightwriterequiem.blogspot.com/
XoXo

Olivine said...

You really look amazing in this dress. Mademoiselle, is it you ? :)

http://surlespavesdeparis.tumblr.com/

purelovefashion said...

Love the dress, gloves and wedges.
Nice scenery for the shots too :)

www.purelovefashionn.blogspot.com xx

Zorian said...

Love your blog! Love the dress! I love the standing stones.

StylishSinead said...

I love the first pic. And what a present! Havent seen my Fairy Godmother in quite some time :P

http://sunglassesandhandbags.blogspot.com

danniekate said...

what a generous gift! i love the shot of you with the sunglasses and hat on, very audrey hepburn :)

RACHEL GOODCHILD said...

Wonderful! I LOVE the top photo!

Lecon de vetement said...

You are really special and have exquisite taste! I am so glad I found your blog!

Nicole
http://fashionforestry.blogspot.com

Raez said...

wowee! BFG indeed, she sure knows how to gift! you looks absolutely prim and proper and chic in that dress--i swear it was made for you, my dear:)

xx raez

teri seaglass said...

Absolutely, absolutely gorgeous! The third picture is my favorite. So dramatic, especially with the storm like hues of both your dress and the rocks. AHH love it!

teri at tintedseaglass.blogspot.com

Tasha Gregson said...

Love this!! So stylish and ladylike :) I especiallly love the detail, like the pearls, and that hat is so cool xx

The Village Idiot said...

love the little gloves- they are perfect with this look.
what a great fairy godmother!

Jen said...

Hi there! Just wanted to let you know I have given you an award at my personal blog: http://sprinkled-dreams.blogspot.com

DailyDoseOfAloha said...

great dress!! you look fab. and the back ground is insanely delicious!

--Napua
http://dailydoseofaloha.blogspot.com

Lola said...

Lovely photos. Really highlights what timeless quality each Chanel item has. Very jealous!

Kate said...

How do you manage to look great in everything?! I love this dress- the texture looks amazing. I especially love the second to last photograph but they are all great!

www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

Cat said...

Amazing of course! And about wanting to do a Q&A post (fantastic idea), you should consider opening a Formspring account, as it would enable us to ask questions for many posts to come, as opposed to a single Q&A post. And if the questions become invasive and annoying, you can easily delete it! Sorry if I sound like a creep...I just find your lifestyle completely interesting and inspiring!

BattyNora said...

oh Chanel!! :O
You're right, the dress looks perfect by itself and any accessories would take away from the simplicity. Definately a 'less is more' kind of outfit, and i like how the shoot complements this with the stark windswept hillside and wide sky :). However i think your poise stops the photos looking too whimsical which is good, i think Chanel looks better rooted in realism.
argh pretentious comment... :D
personally i can't wait to see Coco & Igor, though i'm afraid it's going to be more style than substance!
xx

Sadly i haven't seen

eugenialejos said...

que bonito el vestido!!

PinkBow said...

absolutely stunning. chanel is the creme. a treasure to keep for years. i have seen the film and read the book. although i thought it a little slow, i really enjoyed the visual after reading the book. you should definitely see it.

RedRose said...

You look absolutely stunning, and the landscape is perfect. I have asked for a Chanel suit for my 18th birthday, I want one so much, I think the simplicity of Chanel is genius. Only 3 years to wait!

http://www.lucystreasurechest.blogspot.com/

rachel. said...

you look so classic, like you came out of the pages of a vintage magazine. absolutely gorgeous. :)

kawaiiMily =) said...

i loved it... it was just s00 classic :D

The Velvet Bow said...

Stunning. You look like you just stepped out of Breakfast At Tiffany's!

x The Velvet Bow

Trishna said...

I always love all your photos, but the 3rd photo in this post was absolutely amazing. :) Looking at it I am sure you know why..

Love from Toronto, Canada

Zoë said...

Wow, I adore the hat with this and how you've kept the look minimalist and classic. I have to say though, I'm more in awe of the beautiful countryside setting than the dress!

San said...

Okay, now I'm really jelous. You have the look down to perfection and I just love this dress with those gloves and the hat. sigh.

And fantastic pictures as always.

starcakeastrology.blogspot.com said...

these look like movie stills! Chanel herself would be impressed!

Page said...

your outfit is so amazing! i just read that tweed is back this fall so your introduction is great! :) i really love how you accessorized as well.. i admire all your outfits and styling! :)
page

Kristen said...

Beautiful photographs! I love the dress xx

http://sexxontoast.blogspot.com

Callie Lu said...

Your styling is perfect. I love your stuff. Those gloves are to die for, especially with the adornment of that bracelet. Tres bien !

http://www.callielusmode.blogspot.com/

Le garçon avec les lunettes said...

I love everything here. You have such great style!!!