Friday, 27 August 2010

Winds of change


What's happening? Has it turned into Autumn overnight  - leaves falling, a drop in temperature and rain'a'plenty? And that's still in August! However, this has given me a great opportunity to test run my 'new' shearling jacket. Mind you, any long-term eagle-eyed reader might spot that the jacket itself is not exactly new. I featured it on my blog last year  ('The North Wind Doth Blow') in what was one of my favourite posts to date.
A year or so later however, it has a new lease of life - in, namely what seems to be one of the biggest current trends, the eponymous Shearling Jacket. Not having nearly £2000 to spend on one of the highly covetable Burberry ones (complete with waiting list) that kick-started the appreciation for all things aviator (my Amelia Heart-esque hats will also be coming out of the hatbox), I devised a much cheaper, and more unique version instead...
The leather jacket came from a charity shop for the grand sum of £1.25 last year. Not only is it Escada, but it has the butteriest leather, vintage style buttons and a blue wool lining. Why the cheap price?
1.) It had a small rip underneath a button, which was easily fixed by re-sewing it down..
2.) It came from one of my favourite local charity shops, who put out pretty much everything that is donated - be it Primark or Prada.

It was actually my mum's idea to transform this jacket into an updated beauty with the aid of an old sheepskin seat cover that had begun to fall apart. We made a template of the collar and traced this onto the back of the sheepskin before cutting out the shapes carefully and pinning them to the jacket. Then many hours were spent sewing it in place while watching the Fast Show (a British sketch based comedy show from the nineties, and one of the funniest things around.) For anyone who has seen it, I doubt that the actor running around growling "You ain't seen me, roight?" realised that his character's shearling jacket would one day make him a trendsetter. (But let's hope that nasal hair doesn't undergo a similar renaissance!)
I made sure that the new false collar is only attached to the lining, meaning that it can be removed again if needs be.

I felt that if I'd already interpreted the Burberry look so literally, I may as well go the whole hog and style it in a very Burberry-esque manner. I bought the lace dress in a charity shop, and the suede boots were charity shopped by my mum. The big gold necklace was my great-grandma's, and the other belonged to her daughter (my grandma.)

I'm not often one to follow trends, but the Autumn/ winter collections this year seem like some of the most desirable and wearable I've seen  - classic shapes, understated colours and standout works of craftsmanship. From the cult status of Christopher Bailey's designs, to the demi-couture aesthetic of Erdem or the bright ideas of up-and-coming designer Charlotte Taylor, there's more than enough eye-candy/clothes candy to salivate over this season.

My mum took these photos in a small gale. The clouds lowered more and more by the minute, with mum saying, "I can't see your face! It's too dark," and me trying to hold back my hair, as it seemed to be determined to make me look like a yeti. However, the wind added a nice touch, and I was definitely feeling 'Autumnal Vibes' in the cold. And I can happily report that the customised jacket performed its job of keeping me warm to perfection. I think it will be getting alot of use as my "photographer jacket" in the next few months.

I did another behind-the-camera Autumnal themed shoot today (They're starting to stack up on my computer...) with someone else called Roz! It was quite surreal ringing up to confirm the shoot by saying "Hi it's Roz. Is Roz there?"

Autumn is by far my favourite season, and I can't wait for the photography opportunities, design inspiration and wonderful walks it brings. Not that I want to wish away the end of the summer, but it looks like it's been shunted out of place already, and I'm ready to embrace the weather.


39 comments:

Evette said...

wow ♥

Oriane said...

i really love your blog! such beautiful photos! xxx

Eva-Christa Hiag said...

yeS !!
good look love it
La Bise
'ECH from pAris
www.evachristahiag.blogspot.com

My Republic of Fashion said...

amazing outfit. Love that dress & jacket. :)SarahD

eve-rei said...

Though I'm sad about the turning of the seasons, it proved to produce some lovely photos, you look stunning as always, and there's not a yeti in sight. Another brilliant post too.

xx

styleodyssey said...

send some of your pre-autumn weather this way, roz! still hot and muggy over here in south carolina...
this outfit is brilliant. the shearling lining plus lace make an unexpected pairing that works quite well.

Closet Fashionista said...

LOOOVE these photos! That first one is gorgeous! :D
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Serina said...

Love love love the jacket.

Andd usually I like autumn, but after coming back from a holiday, i've got really bad holiday blues! :(

Rae said...

I can't believe you made your jacket!! It looks fabulous (just as good as the Burberry ones). I love and follow your blog. Come stop by mine!

Rae,
http://alittle-rae-ofsunshine.blogspot.com/
http://alittle-rae-ofsunshine.blogspot.com/

frenchtoile said...

you have reallly neat and stunning fashion!
lovely photos

Raia

Emma said...

Gorgeous I love your jacket and I too would love to own a Burberry one but could never afford the price. I love the whole outfit and is one of my favorites of yours up to date! http://simplyemmie.blogspot.com/

Natalie said...

wow! you look gorgeous! i love ur hair and ur blog keeps getting better and better :) also, i got your email, sry i haven't had a chance to respond. but i will soon! i'm keeping ur project in mind! :)

xoxo

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

Laura Gerencser said...

I love it!! Gorgeous outfit, i especially love the boots!!!

The Lady Nerd said...

I absolutely adore the fact that you repurposed this into a shearling jacket. I'm a former, well...almost pilot. (I went through flight school through an Air Force auxiliary, but didn't end up getting my license) But I have a love of all things aviation, so this fall/winter season is right up that alley. I love both the fact that you put together a smashing outfit, but also that you make the jacket into a shearling style yourself.

I envy the DIY a bit as I can't sew to save my life. So keep it coming! I'm brimming with excitement to see what you come up with next!

adrielleroyale said...

I love that jacket and what you've done with it! The whole outfit is just awesome - a perfect blend of soft and yet tough. Great job as usual! :)

the Citizen Rosebud said...

YOU LOOK FANTASTIC. perfect autumnal ensemble, and I love how crafty you get, keep on trend without being trendy or a spendthrift. AND these are the best mom-pics to date. Your mum is stepping up her game and making some good fashion compositions that are nearly rivaling...your dad. Tell her I said so!

Christina Sanders said...

Wow, you were so lucky to find that jacket last yer - before the 'trend' now I am sure someone would have snapped it up and tried to get hundreds on ebay!

I love this outfit!

Lot of love Christina x

Zorian said...

You, look so wonderful and full of life. I love wind pictures. I love jacket.

Irene° said...

beautiful photos and location!!

www.afashionsinner.blogspot.com

notjustmedical said...

That is a beautiful jacket...very unique!

S
http://notjustmedical.wordpress.com

TerraSelisa said...

Love the sheerling jacket! I'm searching for one too.
xx.

leschevuxblondes.blogspot.com

Lyndranette said...

so gorgeous! love the dress!

http://lyndranette.blogspot.com/

See Here Darling said...

The dress is just lovely. :)
I love how you put it together!

Floz said...

ah shearling! the essence of a/w. Christopher Bailey would be proud!

Emily said...

You look stunning :D

Kim said...

It really has become Autumn overnight! I'm actually quite excited - Autumn outfits (like yours!!) are always so much more inspiring. Your jacket is one of the most elegant variations on the pilot jacket I have ever seen. I wish I could sew like that.

Xx Kim

Lady Moriarty said...

Amazing jacket (and dress !), I like the fact that it's a vintage one

See U !

danniekate said...

oh i do enjoy your blog :) ahead-of-the-trend high five!

Annie said...

AMAZE jacket

Dolls Factory said...

Lovely blog and great sense of style. I want to follow.
But I don't like fans of blogs I want to exchange style&fashion tips.

Check my blog. Let me know if you want to be friends through friendconnect.

http://www.thedollsfactory.com/

BattyNora said...

Very impressive customisation if i may say :). I wish i was more inventive with altering clothes, i'm afraid my own sewing skills only extend to the simple hemming/taking up of old clothes. Your hair looks gorgeous windswept, the weather certainly looks autumnal here! I like all the different textures: shearling, lace and suede also the pop of colour from the ring.
xx

A and A said...

This jacket is sublime.
perfect and not too trendy.

happy to have found you again. Come visit us soon.
x
love from San Francisco.
refusestolabel.com

Petite Aimee by Rox said...

Awesome dress!

Miss Molly said...

Beaut dress!

xoxo

www.missmollyfashions.blogspot.com

Wardrobe Wars said...

WOW!! Seriously, we are speechless! This jacket is amazing! Never ever would have guessed it to be a diy job. I think it looks even more great because the jacket was of high quality in the first place, being an Escada. (what a bargain!) This post is so inspirational - thank you!
Greetings from Ireland
xxx
Fifi & Niamh
http://www.thewardrobewars.blogspot.com - take a look if you get a chance, we'd really love your feedback - follow if you like what you see.

The Village Idiot said...

so lucky on that find- i originally thought that it was the burberry-
very very close!
looks awesome

alexandratherese said...

Beautiful photos and outfit! I'm surprised L'Oreal haven't offered you an advertising deal for the second one! I really admire how you don't fork out ridiculous prices for your clothes and thrift them - either charity shop buying and/or customizing. Your outfit is bang on trend, individual and practical at the same time. It looks amazing too! From following your blog I can see that your clothes are rarely high street bought and I think it is a great trait to have! Keep up the good work Roz, you're an inspiration to us all!

Alexandra Thérèse xxxxxxxxx


www.alexandratherese.com

Theonlyfashionprincess said...

great outfit! :) love the jacket. i like your blog. hope you will become a follower of my blog too?
xoxo

http://theonlyfashionprincess.blogspot.com

Tessa Brooke said...

oh, oh, love love love! This is great! I love it!