Sunday, 10 October 2010

"Storming the hilltop"






Another post, another poetry quote - I have to blame it all on my Faber and Faber Poetry Essentials book set. I like thumbing through Seamus Heaney or, in this case, Sylvia Plath when I've got a moment. The title is taken from Plath's 'Berk-Plage', but my all time favourite poem from her 'Ariel' collection is 'The Moon and the Yew Tree' - such vivid descriptions.

Anyway, it seemed to fit well with the photos here. As is often the way, the best locations turn up when out on a family walk, without a 'planned' outfit. So I suppose this is the closest I'll get to casual wear.. And even then there's a value added furry hat involved!

These are my Tommy Hilfiger jeans, that I appropriated from my mum (they were from that hallowed institute, The Charity Shop, to begin with) a while ago, and they're one of the few tomboy style items in my wardrobe! For the walk I added a silk jersey shirt and my grey Jaeger blazer (both thrifted), belted with a 50p charity shop beauty. The great thing about Autumn, as I have probably already mentioned, is the re-appearance of my hoard of faux furry hats. They may look like small animals, but their hibernation patterns are the reverse of most wildlife - sleeping in a hat box atop my wardrobe for most of the summer, before groggily crawling out the minute leaves start falling.
The silk scarf is Charlotte Taylor - I featured it a few posts ago, and am still very much enamoured by it. The ring is vintage, and the lace up walking/ granny shoes were from a charity shop - releasing  my inner nerd one step at a time.

The sky looked like it had its own polarising filter, such was the the intensity of the blue. It was a magical place to visit for a family day out, full of rocky outcrops and plenty of wild bilberries to eat - and, of course, cake at the end of our walk! My dad and I had alot of fun collaborating on these shots, with me scrambling around like a child exploring the wilderness. Days like these are the ones that really make me love living in the countryside. I will definitely miss the scenery when I move to a city, which I suppose will inevitably happen at some point. However, my long-term plan is to work my way back to self employment in the rural parts of Britain eventually. But enough of the rural romanticising, if it carries on I'll sound like I'm being paid by some tourist board!

30 comments:

annierama said...

I love your hat, bought a similar one this weekend at a local fleamarket and I´m so amazed ;)
your photos are so impressing and gorgeous!

Penny Dreadful said...

I love the view from that rock, mesmerising. I grew up in the country too, and though I have lived in cities for a long time now, I yearn to get back to where there is more space and the air is clean.

Second image down is my favourite, how lucky that your dad is clever with a camera!

Ellie Jane said...

I LOVE the third picture so much, I am also deeply in love with your jacket! I live fairly rurally and as much as it annoys me sometimes when I move away (which I assume I will) I'll miss being able to just go on a short walk and see green for miles.

Des Histoires de Pieds... said...

beautiful...... ;)

http://deshistoiresdepieds.blogspot.com/2010/10/la-vie-de-tous-les-jours-part-16.html#links

PinkBow said...

my first thought when i saw the sky - was that you did indeed use a polarise filter!! beautiful shots!

Lady Moriarty said...

I adore your style so much, I love how you put the clothes together. It's always dreamy and original !

I love everything here, especially this blue-yellow scarf-thing

See U !

Mei-li said...

i really the way you wearing your jeans so cool !!

Dainty Librarian Vintage said...

I would love to have that hat!

www.daintylibrarian.com

styleodyssey said...

look at that azure sky!
nice to see you in a pair of jeans from time to time. what a fun look!
charming hat.

Kellie W. said...

These pictures came out great! I love your scarf and hat!

the Citizen Rosebud said...

Ditto to Lady Moriarty's statement. Your style is always so fresh, and I so love the fact so much is vintage and most second-hand. The hat = obvious awesome but bonus for me is your scarf. Love the shot of blue and yellow, and that sky! Ah, blue as a dream, that sky. Great shots. Great post.

Natalie Suarez said...

wow! u look absolutely beautiful! these photos are fantastic :)

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

San said...

I just LOVE the first pic, it's perfection.

Have a great new week.

Bog-Bog said...

Love your photos, always so creative!

Zorian said...

Love the photos. They are beautiful.

Kate said...

love the furry hat, it looks so snug!!
great pictures as always!

www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

Poetry, fashion, nature and you - what could be more sublime? I adore your scarf - the colour is wonderfully sensuous - like a shy autumn sun. The hat is equally glamorous on you, too. Warmly hopes you are well. XX

Martine : D said...

I love the first photo! It's really unusual to see you wearing jeans, but it's no bad. : ) The sky is looking so beatiful right now! I wish it was always like that.

Fashionistable said...

Even in you casual out for a family walk wear you look wonderful. Xxxx

fashion_freak said...

beautiful pictures, nice environment. your scarf adds a special, preppy touch to the whole outfit :) xo
fashion_freak, editor of http://myfashionlustlist.blogspot.com

Maddie said...

i love these photos oh, so much ! keep up the great work. check out my new blog and gimme some pointers @ maddie-fromneverland.blogspot.com

Juliet said...

Oh darling I love your hat!
amazing outfit!
xxx gorgeous!

November Grey said...

The tomboy scarf is a nice twist with such a fuzzy, feminine hat.

xx

November Grey

Raez said...

the third photo of you is fantastic! you look so liberated, haha:) as always, I adore the styling. the fur hat is perfection!

xx raez

Serendipitychild said...

Wow, I can't believe you are only 15! Love your style, and well done to whoever your photographer is!?

Antonia said...

Love this hat so much! I have a similar one I HAVE to pull out now!
You look fab.

x Antonia

WWW.LIVEGLAMORDIE.COM

South Beach Mom said...

These are your best pictures yet!

Ruby And Siel said...

Your pictures are always so gorgeous! I've been following you for a while and you inspire me so much! Thank you :)

Siel

BattyNora said...

i heart the mannish blazer and lace ups! Granny is always the best style :D also nice contrast between the rough jean-ends and relaxed tailoring, as well as the 'small furry animal' hat (v. doctor zhivago). The moorland looks glorious, however my favourite picture has to be the last one: the dappled shadows are beautiful! i like how you seem to have alighted on the path, listening intently to the forest.
i'm sure you could rake in the cash from your local tourist board with the pictures :D
xx

ByeByeSoccerMom said...

you look very dreamy. i'm not into poetry, but i am into art and these photos of you reminded me of Andrew Wyeth's Faraway. Here is a link:
http://www.wyethprints.com/bookplates/faraway.htm