Sunday, 3 October 2010

"To bend with apples the moss'd cottage-trees"

Keats knew what he was talking about when he immortilised autumn in his ode beginning "Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness". Yesterday we were lucky enough to be part of a wonderful celebration of autumnal small-village-living. There was an apple press at the local village hall, so, armed with tub-trugs of apples we'd picked, my family headed over to turn our fruits into apple juice - along with half the village! Highlights included taking monochrome portraits of everyone taking part, drinking the best freshly made apple juice ever, getting hit on the head by several plummeting apples as we were picking them (not such a highlight), eating a humungous slice of home made chocolate cake and coming home with numerous green glass bottles of something that looks a little like liquid gold.

 So today's post is themed on all things apple related. My dad took these photos of me last weekend, in a neighbour's perfect tiny orchard - what great timing for this post! There was a wonderful window of evening light last Sunday for about fifteen minutes, which we just managed to catch.

The idea for this outfit started with the cape, purchased at the St Michaels hospice charity tent/ shop at the Big Chill for a mere £10! It served me well while watching the bands at night. I may be, well, slightly obsessed with capes this season - one of my favourite of the current trends.
 From there it was grey, grey and umm.. more grey! The dress underneath is kind of my equivalent of a comfort outfit (no tracksuits for me thank you!) - it's incredibly soft and easy to wear. I customised it with the blue/ turquoise edging around the neckline while on work experience. The grey ankle boots were from Topshop, and both the silk scarf (in my hair) and striped gloves were inherited from my great-grandma.
The necklace - a new pair of grey 'mummy's scissors' made by me - is a little hint towards a project starting soon (it has been pushed back and back).
I love the colour grey - reminiscent of typical British weather, and it goes with everything - not having the stark-ness of white or the bold-ness of black. In fact, the alternative title for this post was 'Fade to grey', taken from the eighties Visage song. However, it didn't really go with the backdrop!

One way to describe those apples might be perfectly 'rotund' - a word I particularly like! I'm always trying to extend my vocabulary, and I take pleasure in words. At the moment other favourites include 'conglomeration' and 'evocative'. I think a love of words might be why I enjoy the process of analysis in English literature so much! Do you have a particular favourite word?

To finish, thank you for your lovely comments on my last photography post. Soon to come on the blog are the project I've been building up to, and a round up of London Fashion Week.

47 comments:

Pearl Westwood said...

Rotund indeed! I always liked scrumptious for apples x

annierama said...

so amazing! I really enjoy reading your posts ;)
and apples are one of my favourite kind of fruits!
;)
really amazing photos as always!

Miss Molly said...

your photo's always tell such a beautiful story! love visiting your blog, it's so inspiring every time

missmollyfashions.blogspot.com

Tien said...

The second photo is breathtaking!

Mei-li said...

ooo My dear you look like Snow-white or maybe Snow-grey !!
i really like this garden with all this apple !!

T. said...

Love the outfit and the setting! And fall!

Jen said...

These photos are absolutely gorgeous. I love the scenery and your entire outfit.

http://www.stylethroughhereyes.com

Lady Moriarty said...

you are stunning ! i'd love to read a new post by you like everyday (no pressure ha ha :))

See U !

Closet Fashionista said...

How fun! I wanted to go apple picking this year but never got a chance :(
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Raez said...

gorgeous as always! I adore your cape and those sweet looking apples in the background--so perfect for the fall season:):)

xx raez

notjustmedical said...

That cape is absolutely amazing. Just gobsmack amazing. And I really love how you've done the headband in your hair.

S
http://notjustmedical.wordpress.com

Rebeccak said...

Fabulous photos! You are lucky to have such a talented (and patient) father. :) You look superb in grey.

November Grey said...

One of my favorite posts! That cape is divine and even better you found it at a charity shop! These pictures make me so happy for autumn.

Looking forward to learning more of your "project"...

xx

November Grey

June Paski said...

awesome photos, you looks like fairy tale princess

Dylana Suarez said...

The cape is so beautiful. You remind me of Little Red Riding Hood, but a monochromatic version. Straight out of a fairytale!

colormenana.blogspot.com

Ellie Jane said...

I love the pictures, they are beautiful! I have a bit of an obsession with finding new words and using them in day-to-day conversation, it irritates me friends slightly hah .

Alice In Fashionland said...

Wow, i love your cape. Stunning pictures.
Sounds like a wonderful little celebration.

danniekate said...

me and my mum had a bit of a keats moment, quoting that when we were out driving the other day :) beautifully styled shoot!

Sarah said...

There's a few apples trees in my back garden at home and I too have experienced the consternation of having an apple drop on your head at inopportune times. Not during inspired fashion shoots though, but hey, what can you do...

Diana said...

lovely cape and your dress looks gorgeous!

Bog-Bog said...

Beautiful pictures!

Ginta said...

Amazing! It looks like editorial! Everything - environment, your outfit is a perfection!

Libby said...

Lovely post! I love your cape. The way you are hugging it around you makes it look somewhat haunted... I'm not quite sure why, but I think it's something to do with the contrast between the grey and then the orchard.
Rotund is an interesting word... At the moment, gubbins, juggernaut and subliminal are probably my favourite words.
~Libby

Kate said...

These amazing pictures remind me of snow white and the poisoned apple! Im with you 100 per cent in your love of capes i think they are fabulous!
As always I love your blog!

www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

Fashionistable said...

You are beautiful and so creative. Love it. Another great post. Almost fairytale and I agree with Kate above - a hint of Snow White. The poses are great, as is the light and the styling. You are truly gifted. Xxxx

Theonlyfashionprincess said...

Wow, this is beautiful. These pictures could be in an editorial or something like that.
Great blog. Hope you will become a follower of my blog too?
xoxo

http://theonlyfashionprincess.blogspot.com

Antonia Glavic said...

Beautiful! The second photo is dreamlike. The whole background looks like a set and you like a mannequin. Like this artificial wonderland. Love it.
Antonia
http://www.antoniaglavic.blogspot.com/

Martine : D said...

Like the photos a lot! I don't have a cape yet but I'm not sure wether I'm going to get one or not.. I loove apples! I eat so many a day: today 4! haha I don't really have a favorite word but I especially like words that relate to sth. I like : )

simon said...

Coincidentally you use my favourite in the post - autumnal. I like both what it describes and how it does it, and I love the way Autumn's tag-along 'n' becomes the star letter. Never heard tub-trug before that's a good one too. And gumdrop. And so on!

Hope Adela said...

these are lovely pictures! =)

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

polka dot said...

Beautiful beautiful photos - I love the apple theme (with grey) - I can't believe you found that cape at a charity shop - for £10!!

Sorry haven't been visiting more - I see I've got stuff to catch up on - and I hope I'm not too late to be involved in the secret project. Just let me know how you want to do it, but I'm on board - I've mentioned it to a few friends, too.

xo

Linsi Brownson said...

These photos are stunning! The whole event sounds so romantic and wonderful, but I am captivated by the images. You are really talented (and have an awesome cape!).

Vikki said...

Oh my God! Those pictures are wonderful!!! Love them all!

xxx
Vikki

http://stylometre.blogspot.com

Adrenalinelive said...

This is so beautiful, I just love the first two! Gorgeous, the light is caught so perfectly and the clouds and trees framing the shot...Just...beautiful <3

Des Histoires de Pieds... said...

nice pics... :)

http://deshistoiresdepieds.blogspot.com/2010/10/la-vie-de-tous-les-jours-part-16.html#links

L.A. said...

Awesome pics!

MoonRox said...

Love the second photo! Great lighting!

Catherine said...

That last photo is stunning with the bright flowers in the foreground.

- Catherine at Littlehouse of Style
http://littlehouseofstyle.blogspot.com/

Raji said...

These photos are so beautiful
That sounds like a lot of fun, I wish we took time to appreciate the seasons and the gifts they bring more here

daisymay aka Chantele said...

Adore the cape, these photos are stunning!

Daisy Dayz Home
Cross-Jones-Photography Home
Daisy Dayz Day Zero Challenge

giana said...

love the look! snow white in the modern making

xx
giana

www.dineinstilettos.blogspot.com

The Village Idiot said...

this looks so beautifully editorial!

styleodyssey said...

what you said about grey is very fitting. it's one of my favorite colors (or "non" colors, more accurately).
this hue is very complimentary to your coloring and sense of style.
such beautiful and sensitive photos. xo

Edward said...

I like words. The verb ‘excarnate’ is my favourite today.

Sometimes combinations of words do it for me, ‘gorgeous haemorrhages’, for example (description of colours in a sky from London Fields by Martin Amis).

Creative rule-breaking can be good, too: Nabokov describes Lolita as ‘gaspingly adorable’. He’s just made ‘gasping’ into an adverb – which makes it look so simple, but I’ve tried to come up with my own stuff using similar techniques and it’s really not simple... Or, maybe I’s just not a very good writer.

You write pretty damn well, by the way.

Serina said...

You look absolutely beautiful!

Amy said...

Just found your blog and I absolutely adore it - and I love this cape! About to follow you x

▲ WOLF WHISTLE ▲

Chelsea Lauren said...

These photos are simply beautiful.