Wednesday, 1 December 2010

Blue and Pink I think (plus mini debate)








It seems strange to be posting pictures of trees with green leaves (from way back at the end of September) on the same day that I had an (albeit gentle) snowball fight with my brother and the temperature is averaging somewhere around -3C. The living room, complete now with a constantly burning fire, has suddenly become the vital organ (or should that be heart?) of our house. I only retreat into my bedroom for clothes, books and sleeping as it is now icily cold there. However, I can't actually wear any of my nice, warm vintage winter coats at the moment as they are too heavy for my shoulders - typical! The minute they could have some actual use, they end up being confined to the coat rack outside my room! 

However, two or so months ago when heavy coat wearing was possible, I decided to put on this grey vintage beauty - bought from a local market stall. There's just something about the sheer quality of the details, from the well cut collar to the fabric covered buttons, that makes it feel special. This was also the first time I wore this forties blue pleated skirt. I bought it from a vintage market stall in Bristol, promptly forgot about it and left it there at my friend's house, before remembering several weeks later and having to ask her to scour her room for a supermarket plastic bag (my clothes travel in style!) and send it to me. I only noticed after putting it on how the powdery blue contrasted with the pink silk lining of the coat. I also added a little thrifted top (Next originally), some grey ribbed long socks, a charity shopped belt, gold t-bar heels from ebay and a briefcase from the jumble sale I waxed lyrical about a few posts ago. The necklace (barely visible) was my grandma's.

As is often the case with my locations, the landscapes in the above images were taken advantage of during a family walk. So it was just a quick change from wellies to heels, and voila - abandoned houses and stone walls providing perfect backdrops. I suppose I often take this beautiful area for granted, but I get moments where I am so grateful for having this on my doorstep. I've had to take lots of walks in the past few weeks to help strengthen my back, and whether it's a snow covered silent hill (as it was this afternoon), or a fog filled valley, the views I've seen are enough to make any landscape photographer leap with joy. Or in my case, sulk, as I still can't carry my heavy camera for that long!

Apologies about the slightly crude rhyming of this post's title. However, I thought it might lead into a little mini debate. I spent an evening a few days ago lying on the sofa, writing, redrafting and refining a poem. Please don't groan now, skip the next paragraph and go, "Oh God, another teenager who thinks she can write a poem.." Because if I wasn't writing this, I might just join you! It seems that there are certain art forms that inspire derision if anyone other than a professional attempts them - maybe writing is a prime example because anyone can pick up a pen or tap on the keyboard. What distinguishes the cliche from the crafted? Perhaps the problem, particularly with poetry, is that it gets set so often as a school writing exercise. Maybe as a result,when push comes to shove, many people assume they can 'write a poem'. Unlike fashion design or master cabinet making, it's not an activity associated with apprenticeship or a long-learned craft.
Any thoughts on this matter/ musing? I'm sure I read a statistic somewhere saying poetry writing is the most popular hobby in Britain. I certainly enjoy both the reading and writing of it.

Finally, thank you so much to the wonderful Dylana of Nana in Wonderland, not only for her featuring a pair of my Mummy's Scissors, but also for writing about her own experience of scoliosis and spinal surgery so eloquently. I feel very glad to have found her through our mutual love of fashion and style blogging.

38 comments:

Bog-Bog said...

Beautiful photos, beautiful coat and you are beautiful too!

Kellie W. said...

Your observations about poetry made me laugh, because I know exactly what you mean. I took a creative writing class last year, and my friend and I were the most cynical people ever when it came to poetry. We just kind of rolled our eyes and considered it all to be very pretentious. But by the end of the semester, I was SO into poetry, so I guess I'm one of THOSE people now, hehe!

amateur idler said...

I certainly agree with you about poetry. I think we sometimes forget how hard the greats worked at it. Just looking at the ways they used iambic pentameter awes me.
Terribly inspiring and gorgeous pictures as usual!

Pashupati said...

Hey, hi.
Uh, not about the stuffs, but...
Will you take your photos in your room or near your home, now? How will you take these winter photos, if not? Have you already done an article about somehow how to do that safely? (for the camera)
Thanks, sorry for the bothering (if I do bother you)!

A thing I thought: most of the time, the importance accorded by one to a work, life work, masterpiece or whatever you call it depends highly on what other people who are seen as in-the-know or in the "in crowd" or in the /right/ accords to it.
Evident, I know. But the whole society works like that, and there are some authors who are put down because of their young ages when some others are highly valued because of their young ages. Sometimes, the first will be valued when they become adults, even if their writing style didn't changed and they are talking about themes similar as in their youth (Gabriel Matzneff) while the seconds are put down because they didn't "matured, somehow...
I'm pretty tired. I'll come back tomorrow and try to develop it and argument and... If my ideas don't R. I. P. away... Don't know if it makes sense, English isn't my first language, time to go to bed.

Serina said...

Well, I recently applied for a Young Writers Scheme (well, in january) for playwriting, something I'd done only once for an english coursework (a cringeworthy take on macbeth). Long story short, 9 months down the line and my work was showcased at a reading at the Curve in Leicester, and I received lots of good comments. It was damn hard work though! But I think it's good that people learn about these things at school, as not everyone is exposed to it. I see poetry as a more accessible creative outlet, however playwriting/theatre seems all very exclusive to those who have the money, which disappoints me. I'm the type of person who looks for these opportunities, but I'm sure there are many other people who don't, but could have a really good flair for it.

A Little Brighter said...

BEAUTIFUL photos and that coat only adds to my winter outwear obsession! Hope your feeling better and stronger today. It must be hard to live with sometimes (A friend of mine has it too) Would love to read your poetry. Your photos are always so dreamy that I bet your writing is just as beautiful!

Ayesha x

Closet Fashionista said...

I know what you mean about your room being cold, mine is freezing too! SO ANNOYING!
Well don't worry, you'll be able to wear those coats soon :D
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Gracie said...

love this, and i love that hill so much. you have such a vintage look to you!

adrielleroyale said...

Well, since I consider myself a poet (and had better if that is the main content of my blog..) I think it all depends on the reader. There are many poems considered to be GREAT by a great many people, and yet...I might not get it (the poem I mean). But just because I don't get it, doesn't mean half a million others won't get completely excited and or sentimental about it. It just depends on who's reading it. And some of the poems I love, might not be loved by very many others too, and so on and so on. All this is to say, if you don't give it a shot, you'll never really know. :) If you find enjoyment in it... why not? I know I do!

Raez said...

beautiful my dear! I love the grey and blue with the surprise pink lining of the coat. what a great outfit.

xx raez

Dylana Suarez said...

You look stunning in that coat! Definitely a piece to cherish forever! I used to write poems when I was younger, but I was always too shy to share them with anyone. So I don't actually know if I was very good or not, but I do remember love doing it. Mmm, maybe I should get back into it? haha. Well, happy you liked my post on the scoliosis and the mummy's scissors. Many of my readers found it very interesting and inspiring, and I thank you for giving me the nudge to open up about it myself!

Talk soon Roz!

xoxo,

Dylana

Laura said...

Beautiful pics!!!

Marloes. said...

Gorgeous photos!


The Style Sandwich

Marina said...

First off, you are gorgeous!

There is a definite split concerning poetry around my circles of friends. Most don't care for it, and the rest think they can write it. I'm in the second group, to the extend of posting a poem every Monday. It's all rather pretentious, but I love it. Keeps me creative.

creative bug said...

beautiful.........

Juliet said...

Love your coat darling!
You look gorgeous and the pictures are amazing!
I really like the place!:)

xxx from Spain sweetie!

Edwina said...

You know what, dear? I really like your wavy hair! Puhh-rettyyy.. :)



Flickering Moonlight

Pearl Westwood said...

What a lovely surprise to see your sunny photos when we are all sat shivering! I love the pale pink and blue with the metallic shoes under the heavey coat it is another unexpected surprise. Hope you are feeling well and this freeze isnt causing you too much bother xx

Romy said...

i love your pics! the coat is beautifull!

Peace!

Ellie Jane said...

I adore your outfit, I might go as far as saying it's one of my favourites you've featured on here! I can relate to your points about poetry, I enjoy photography and the whole process of it but being a teenager you never really get taken seriously and are often just thought of pretentious because when it comes down to it anyone can pick up a camera and take a decent picture.

Nadine2point0 said...

Stunning - love your blog!

sacramento said...

I am always very gald when I see that you have a post.

Love the pink lining of the coat.
How mature you are for your age.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

the Citizen Rosebud said...

I have to come back to re-read and relish this post. But I want to thank you: not just for your kind comments, and inspirational posts, but for the constantly nurturing spirit you seem to share so well online.

Not at all surprised you and the super lovely "Nana" hit it off, she too has such great inner beauty to match her gorgeous face, and the fact that she can relate to your circumstance makes for a certain friendship between you two.

Oh, and I can't even start up on my opinion about poetry. Except that more people should read the good stuff, write the personal stuff, and be willing to edit, edit, edit. xo. Q

Ruby said...

You are the girl who inspired me to blog...
www.rubyccino.blogspot.com
xxx

L'age moyen said...

I'm new to your blog and following your recovery with great interest. My 12 year old daughter is being monitored for scoliosis and we're trying the osteopathy route in order to stave off a brace. You must find the physical restrictions incredibly challenging - I think about my girl in your situation and hope that she bears it as well and as creatively as you. I was so fascinated by your scoliosis dress and how you've directed any anxiety towards creativity. Quite remarkable and so admirable.

I love your brown belt on the blue coat - blue and brown is one of my all time fav combos. Come visit my blog for women in l'age moyen (that's your mother's age or older ...) at lagemoyen.blogspot.com. Bye for now.

Kate said...

Love the images- the pale pink lining is gorgeous and contrasts wonderfully with the pleated blue skirt. Love the image with the broken shed- very artistic!
www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

styleodyssey said...

i was a poetry-writing teen, too.
i would not have thought to pair light blue with grey- very flattering on you. you really know how to dress to flatter. that is unusual in someone so young, i think. the coat is exquisite!
how are you getting on with recovery? i hope my card to you made it "across the pond" to london. if not, please know i was thinking of you, as you go through a long healing process.

Gudrun and Iris said...

amazing! like movie stills from an ingmar bergman one. in colour of course ;)

londonviennacologne.blogspot.com

diana kang said...

this is seriously stunning!

http://ddianakangg.blogspot.com/

Lizelisabeth said...

God!!! the scenery are superb!!!!!! Really wish I could feel the wind there...!! Really really wanna go there some time.. And you are a truly inspiring blogger indeed.... also a very good writer def. I wish you well..!

xO,
liz

Alexandra said...

Wow, I'm absolutely in love with your outfit! The colours, textures, and romanticism of it all...so perfect. You look gorgeous as well as per usual.

Alexandra xo

http://tovogueorbust.com/

ellie walker said...

Love your blog, check out mine-

ellie-walker.blogspot.com

Hx said...

Wow, that coat and that briefcase are divine :)
I know what you mean about poetry. Many people think that if they can make a rhyming couplet in iambic pentametre then they're on par with Shakespeare. However, you do come across some poems where you can read them time and time again and uncover new meaning and understanding, and they the language flows effortlessly. I think that is the true genius of poets. Nice blog.
xxx
Follow me at: http://sartorial-distraction.blogspot.com/

First day of Magic said...

i love love love your blog.
your style, your fotos, your hair.....
the place where you live must be wonderfull.
lucky you
keep up.i can't wait for the next post
xxxxx
Natassa

Eule-Lilaanaa said...

so great look

Fashionistable said...

I love this look and the fact that you are dressed so beautifully for your family walks and have your heels with you to change into. Brilliant. You wouldn't (even if you could) wear your coat like this now - way too cold hey. I know what you mean re the fireplace in winter it truly is the heart of the home. On the subject of poetry, I think the last time I wrote a poem was in school. However I have great admiration for those who can do it well. Xxxx

polka dot said...

This is an absolutely beautiful look, too. So contrasting to the top post (tartan) and I love both colour combinations. I've noticed these are colours I have a lot of - muted pale turquoises, pale blues, pinks, and greys - and I tend to avoid grey with pastels but this is making me inspired by them again.

As for the poetry debate: I often think about how, in the past few decades, 'song writing' has such cache, and if you think about it, lyrics to songs - without the melody - are, um.. poems. Did I just see - was it in the comments, or in your post? - that poetry writing is one of the most popular art forms in Britain. I'm glad that the country that produced Shakespeare and the best literature on the planet is still embracing the art of poetry.

It's late. I'm rambling. I've missed several posts I see! Each of these photos is so beautiful but I love the one where you show off the peachy pink lining the best. xxx

Supergirl said...

Love your blog!!
All the photos are amazing and you have great style!!
Best wishes!