Thursday, 30 December 2010

Now and then







As the count down begins towards seeing out the past year and welcoming in the new, my thoughts turned to the origin of word 'January' which is taken from the the Roman God 'Janus' - God of gates, doorways and new beginnings. Within Roman mythology, he is often depicted with two heads in opposite facing directions. This symbolises his ability to look simultaneously to both past and future. And thus an idea - one that has been brewing for a while.

I mention my extended family (both living and deceased), often in my descriptions of clothes either inherited or given. So I thought it was only fitting to eventually do a homage to one of my most stylish relatives - namely, my very lovely Grandma (Babi). I love my conversations with her, as they will range from philosophy and art to tales of her extraordinary life (especially her and her family's experiences fleeing Czechoslovakia in the late forties) or anecdotes about her acting career. I adore looking through her archive of photos and scrapbooks, and so thought that in the spirit of looking both forward and back, I could emulate one of my favourite images of her.

I assume the original photo of her (second down) was taken during her brief time modelling, or as a professional shot for her acting portfolio. I would love to know more about the origin of it, but I will have to ask her and clarify here if necessary.

To recreate her look I used my favourite vintage suit - bought from an amazing vintage shop over eighteen months ago. It was the most money I have ever spent on clothing, but was worth every penny. I have used the two parts separately on the blog several times, but this is the first occasion the jacket has been united with the skirt! I love the beautiful collar and cut of the suit - sheer quality. I added a little thrifted belt, vintage pearls and brooch and a hat inherited from one of my maternal great-grandmas. The vintage shoes were bought by my mum from a market stall and the vintage umbrella also belonged to my maternal great-grandma.

My dad and I spent a lot of time this morning setting up the shot and getting the pose just right. But I was thoroughly happy with the result. My fascination for images from the past is still strong, and it was an interesting exercise to create a 'new' image in the style of an old one.

I know this New Year post is technically a day early, but I am going to be without the internet for the next three of four days. And besides, all the bells are ringing in my local church (albeit because Thursday is practise bell ringing night!), which makes it feel just as special as if it was already tomorrow night! Happy New Year everyone, and may your 2011 be fruitful, inspired, stylish and full of adventure.

37 comments:

The Trendy Fashionista said...

You look gorgeous. I hope that you'll have a wonderful New Year.
Best wishes







-The Trendy Fashionista
http://thetrendyfashionista.blogspot.com

TC said...

these photos are absolutely fantastic!

Blythe and Charlotte said...

What a great idea! I love how you included the pins!

-Charlotte
allesmode2010.blogspot.com

Charlie, Feminine Bravery said...

Beautiful! Very good idea, and very well re-created pose :)

xxx Charlie
Feminine Bravery

Pearl Westwood said...

Wow you really do have the look of her! What an elegant pair you both are, have a wonderful new year Roz xx

Natalie Suarez said...

beautiful as always! gorgeous girl! :)

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

Dylana Suarez said...

Your grandmother was beautiful and such a chic, elegant lady! You look just like her! So amazing that you are able to translate her fashion sense into your own version today! Style like that never goes out of fashion!

xoxo,

colormenana.blogspot.com

Life Like This.. said...

Beautiful post ....and I really appreciate your sense of carrying out the best of all from everything especially your vintage taste.

may your future be very bright in all the years to come.

Bhags
India

Blond Panther & Louboutin... said...

beautiful pics ;))
http://blondpantheretlouboutin.blogspot.com/2010/12/new-years-eve.html#links

Penny Dreadful said...

Wow, this is a great shot, especially seeing the original picture of your Grandma. The suit is incredible - it is worth spending the money on something so special. Happy new year to you :) x

Mei-li said...

hay bravo it's so cool !! nice
i love it
the reproduction is perfect

best wishes for this new year !!

Ginta said...

You and your grandma look so elegant and beautiful! I really love to read your stories or actually your family stories as I strongly believe that every item we own have to have its own story :)
Happy New Year!

Miu said...

Thank you!
I wish you a Happy New Year, too!

Bog-Bog said...

Beautiful pictures and styling! Happy new year!

Raji said...

These photos are beautiful
Such an incredible and accurate recreation

Happy New Year, wish you the best for 2011

kat said...

Happy new year dear Roz
May 2011 be a kind and good year for you
One of continued healing, blessings and harmony
Kat xx

Lady M said...

Gosh you both look beautiful! You are so similar. The suit is a gorgeous colour too - keep up the good work in 2011

LadyM x

http://www.ladympresents.co.uk

adrielleroyale said...

I LOVE this post - what a great tribute to your grandmother, to the past and to the present! Beautiful shots, suits and words to bring in the new year. May yours be filled with such joy, healing, new opportunities and as you said, adventure! xoxo :)

Polka Princess said...

The whole outfit is perfectly bringing out that old-world & vintage feel........beautiful, if I must say so.....I think you ancestors were quite stylish in their own times!! :)

Happy New Year dear.......hope you'll have a lovely & stylish year ahead! :))

Dulcie said...

Incredible!! :) Happy new year xx

Zoë said...

I like that your outfits (or pieces of) always have a personal link. I wish I had such intelligent/interesting/gorgeous ancestry. Happy new year Roz!

The Queen of Hearts said...

What is most fantastic about your blog is that you aren't doing what everyone else is doing -- you are your own original creation. I love the vintage quality and feel and the authenticity of the images. I am honestly blown away and that hasn't happened in a long time in fashion blogging.

The Queen of Hearts

polka dot said...

Wow, Roz, what a brilliant look! And amazing how you were able to recreate your grandmother's photo. I've become fascinated with her, too, even tho I haven't met her, but from being in her home and starting to learn the stories from your mom.. I could see her life being a film. And she's so beautiful.

I came to your blog to say hi and to get the sourcing to do a post on you AGAIN but this time with the right sourcing - the others were just kind of sneak previews - but I've realised you're already away (your mom mentioned) so when you get back: Happy New Year in the month of new beginnings. I'm going to 'borrow' that idea for my post.

So glad 2010 has brought you and your family into our lives, and our futures. xxx

Fashionistable said...

These shots are wonderful. I love the story behind them and seeing you and your grandmother in the same pose is inspired. Your suit is beautiful. Well worth the extra ££££'s. Wishing you a happy, healthy and wealthy 2011. Xxxx

WendyB said...

Fantastic tribute!

the Citizen Rosebud said...

A deliriously delicious first post of 2011. The picture of your G'ma Babi is wonderful. She has such poise, beauty and charm, I now see it goes back a few generations!

And the fact you thought to remake it, with your vintage suit, it so right on. The shots are wonderful!My absolute favorite of you is the 3rd from the bottom, such a wonderful portrait shot; I see the straighter posture, and that beautiful face of yours, now older than when your early blog posts. I see the proverbial girl growing into a woman in the pose, the poise, and can't wait to see the outcome of your bright future. Happy New Year's, friend. I just know: 2011 is going to be YOUR year. xo. Bella Q
http://thecitizenrosebud.com

Carly said...

You look amazing. What a great idea to modernise such a beautiful image. Did you have to alter the suit? It fits perfectly and really accentuates your tiny waist.

I hope 2011 is another wonderful year for you and your family and there's no more visits to the hospital.

Carly. www.dressedupdown.blogspot.com

E is for Eleanor said...

You look so beautiful. Such a tribute to your grandmother, and a perfect post for the new year. xx

Kate said...

Brilliant idea for seeing the old year out and the new one in. You look amazing- as does your incredibly stylish grandma!

Happy New Year!!
www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

JTWisdom said...

I am new to your blog. I learned about your style from Citizen Rosebud;s blog. I love seeing then and now photos and especially it being your Grandmother. The look is so classic that it's timeless. I think solid gray or gray argyle tights with dark blue or gray shoes would be cool to.

Happy New Year!

www.bubblingwitheleganceandgrace.com

jemina said...

Happy New Year to you my dear

Wishing you Love & Happiness in 2011

Kisses
Jemina
xoxo

Alice In Fashionland said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Vanilla said...

Really inspiring post, your vintage suit is beautiful :)

Love, Vanilla

http://vanillaheartsstyle.blogspot.com/

alexandratherese said...

The hat really makes the outfit for me, and I like the nod to the twist + knot belt micro trend of the season. You always put such effort into your posts Roz and it had really paid off.

Alexandra Thérèse xx

www.alexandratherese.com

Catherine said...

That suit is perfection! As is your very stylish Grandma. Does she still have the outfit from the original photo? I would love to know what colors it is . . .

- Catherine at Littlehouse of Style
http://littlehouseofstyle.blogspot.com/

Becky-May said...

wow amazing pictures. so inspirng!

BM

thebohemiangoods.blogspot.com

x

The Flower Girl

J. Ericson said...

You (both) are so amazingly good-looking and the dress is too. Lovely combination.