Monday, 27 December 2010

Red minidress seeks cape to complement







I am currently sitting next to our Christmas tree, which is covered in everything from traditional Czech figurines to glass angels and tacky glitterballs. In the last few days I have (to adapt a quote from Alice in Wonderland) eaten much too much of a (good) muchness, now have a new book collection and enough art materials to keep me going throughout the year and several vintage items of clothing and accessories ready to style for my blog. Unfortunately both my parents were pretty ill on the day itself, but we made the best of it and still spent many hours with very good family friends.
So, in the spirit of the holidays, I thought I'd post a vaguely festive looking outfit. You may have seen this red dress once already here back in July, proving how versatile it is whatever the weather. I bought it from a charity shop in Bristol a while ago and it has been incredibly useful in these chilly temperatures.
I love the sixties silhouette, so decided to do a full on Twiggy with a thrifted Zara polo neck and a vintage brooch from my paternal grandmother.
The furry hat is from Kangol - that classic label has been popping up all over the place in my hat collection. Kangol, you are officially my new favourite brand (alongside Jaeger). I 'appropriated' the black leather boots from my mum, and the very beautiful charm bracelet was given to me by the wonderful Pearl as part of a 'get better' package I recieved while recovering from surgery in hospital. It is festooned with little russian dolls and tea pots, and reminds me of a Tom Binns piece. Thank you so much Pearl!
Now, it being winter and all, my favourite outfits tend never to be seen outside as they're hidden under lots of layers. But here this thrifted cape was the perfect final touch. It's reversible, meaning I will probably post the grey tweed side at some point too, and cost the hefty sum of £2.50 from my favourite local charity shop! There's also a Jaeger white cardigan underneath that belonged to my Great-Grandma.

The day I wore this my family and I met up with lovely Jill for a scrumptious lunch and some quick photos before having to cut the visit short as my Dad was feeling ill. So you might see it popping up on her blog soon too!

The location was an (ahem) ever so glamorous corner of our garden. My back was hurting and I didn't want to walk anywhere in the ice. Luckily, as I mentioned in my last post, snow manages to make everything look more picturesque.

Among some of the favourite books I recieved for Christmas were: an Alexander McQueen book I had been lusting after, Style Book: Fashionable inspirations (which I heartily recommend to anyone who has a love of either fashion or photography), a book on the role of Vogue during the second world war, a french Van Gogh title, a novel called 'The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox' and an illustrated copy of Cider with Rosie.

I hope all of you who celebrate Christmas have had a happy, warm and festive season filled with good things.

38 comments:

Carys said...

Sounds like you got some great presents, happy christmas!! I love the 60s look!
From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

November Grey said...

These are gorgeous photos. I love the versatility of that dress. It's all in how you style it. Can't wait to see your new vintage finds!

xx

November Grey

My Dear Santa Letter

the Citizen Rosebud said...

The shift! The cap! The cape! So many things to love here, Roz! You paid 2.50pounds for that? Which is what, $5bucks, American? Yoinks! It was put me back about $80 bucks here in a nice vintage shop, and I would gladly pay! The fact that is is reversible would be the key to my rationale (I would say to myself: it's like 40bucks each side)

Gorgeous pics, gorgeous you! Happy Holidays to you, too! -Bella Q
http://thecitizenrosebud.com

styleodyssey said...

i love little shift dresses like yours! timeless, flattering, classy, fun...
seems you received some wonderful gifts for christmas!
so nice you could have lunch with Jill. she's a good friend to many, and a real inspiration. :)
xo

Olivia Isabella. said...

Unfortunately I can empathise with your parents but equally it did not spoil my Christmas!
Beautiful shots; the hat and cape are divine!
UO x
http://unionolivia.blogspot.com/

Aim. said...

The combination of a fur hat, red dress and the gorgeous cape are perfect for the holidays!! xoxo

www.aimeebidlack.com

G said...

Ooooh, what was the book about Vogue during the Second World War called? Sounds really interesting!
I love your cape, such a bargain, and it looks really good with the grey leggings/tights and that flash of red dress! xx

Libby said...

Lovely dress; it really stands out against the snow. Sadly most of the snow here is melting, and we got very little in the first place.

Bog-Bog said...

So nice outfit! Hope you had a great Christmas time!

Ginta said...

Love your outfit! The red dress is so minimal and perfect! I love he flower pin too :)

Becky-May said...

you're stunning! love these pics! hope you had a fab christmas!

BM

thebohemiangoods.blogspot.com

xxx

Charlie, Feminine Bravery said...

you look amazing! that outfit really is the prettiest I've seen in a long time, and the cape looks like a million bucks :D

xxx Charlie
Feminine Bravery

Yasmín said...

You are beautiful,elegant,just like old cinema actreses.Congratulations for your blog. Kisses and hugs from Madrid.

Kate said...

gorgeous pictures :) im so envious that you got that cape for 2.50!!! That charity shop sounds amazing! Is the Alexander McQueen book you talk about the Genius of a Generation book? I recieved that aswell (although because of the snow the post is messed up and it is still waiting to arrive!)
I hope you had a great Christmas and have a wonderful New Year :)
www.styleisalwaysfashionable. blogspot.com

Marloes. said...

I love your cape! Can't believe you paid only 2.50 pounds for it!!

sacramento said...

Thank you for your lovely comment.
I love you in your wonderful red dress and cape. Nice to know that you are enjoying Cxmas,apart for the ill spells.
Cute as a button.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dylana Suarez said...

You look beautiful in red. And with the cape . . . breathtaking!

Sounds like you had a lovely Christmas dear!

xoxo,

colormenana.blogspot.com

Jess E. said...

Love the look!

splendiferousinclinations.blogspot.com

Raji said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic Christmas
I love this festive outfit!
That hat is too cute

My Heart Blogged said...

The poncho was a really amazing buy, it's so classic. It sounds like you got some great reading material. I will have to check out those books.
My Heart Blogged

teri seaglass said...

That's a really great cape! It seems perfect for jumping around and prancing and frolicking :). You look really nice in bright colors!

teri at tintedseaglass.blogspot.com

Natalie Suarez said...

this is adorable! u look amazing!! happy holidays and i wish u a very happy new year! :)

xoxo

natalie

Miu said...

I just love this outfit!

Pearl Westwood said...

I do love a good cape, have you seen the Incredibles I watched it yesterday and there is a really funny part where it explains the dangers of super heros who wear capes!
My whole family and I have been stuck with the flu all over Christmas so its been very quite for us.
So glad you like the bracelet I have a real facianation with Russian dolls, I designed that bracelet with a garden tea party in mind. Wouldn't a winter garden party be stunning - if not at all practical! x

Beenie said...

Nice blog !!

http://www.theupperfashion.com

Penny Dreadful said...

£2.50, what a major bargain! Love your red dress too, isn't it great to find something that will do as well for winter as summer. I hate having to pack clothes away for an entire season. The book haul sounds amazing - especially the illustrated Cider with Rosie.

Hope your folks are feeling a bit better now. It is a rotten time of year to be ill, but it seems as though lots of people were suffering on Christmas Day this year.

Life Like This.. said...

beautiful atmosphere , beautiful clothes n beautiful YOU ....just made it ... have a beautiful year ahead DEAR...

Bhags

Kimberly Bernardo said...

nice photos, u look beautiful!

pearl said...

lovely cape!

Love,
http://artyaffair.blogspot.com

TC said...

These pictures are absolutely stunning! I LOVE the red dress!!

Ruby said...

I love your outfits as per usual!
We seem to be very similar, I recieved some lovely reading material you might like one is: A-Z of 100 contemporary fashion designers (it has gorgeous photographs)
xxx

www.rubyccino.blogspot.com

polka dot said...

Hey sweet pea, just running out and realised I didn't even tell you I've got another post with you in it up! In the same gorgeous outfit. More later - sent your mom the photos but I'll send them to you too soon as I'm back. It was LOVELY seeing you - far too short - but hope your dad (and your mom) are feeling better & now we know how easy it is we'll see you very soon.

You - and your whole family - are just incredible. Mr. Dot thinks so too! ; ) xoxox

Diana said...

Great outfit.I love it. The hat is adorable.
Can tell me the name of the book that is about Vogue and the second world war??
Please:)
www.dianas-fashion.blogspot.com

Polka Princess said...

Hi!! Got to know about you from Bella's blog (The Citizen Rosebud).......& boy, am sure glad I did so!! You've got an amazing blog out here.......LOVE the red dress & the brooch (I have a thing for brooches )!! :)

And those books are on my wish-list right now!!! Glad you had a lovely Christmas! Take care......

Love,
Polka Princess

http://stripesandpolkas.blogspot.com/

à la Modest said...

You have such a wonderful blog, and you're only 15! That is amazing me to me. You have such a great eye and talent for vintage! Beautiful outfits, too!

Fashion Forestry said...

I love the green brooch! Such a nice little touch!

Anja said...

You look soooo marvellous in red!
And the cape is lovely!

Enchanted Elle said...

I'm new here, found your blog through the Citizen Rosebud and I absolutely love your photography, it's stunning. You look absolutely gorgeous here.