Sunday, 30 January 2011

Cloud busting







I know that the term 'tea dress' now represents something of a vintage cliche, and can be found with every label from Topshop to Marc Jacobs inside it - and of course, there are the original forties treasures. However, I like to think of this particular item as my vintage 'Tea Party dress' (and by that, I don't mean a dress that supports Sarah Palin) - worn primarily for the purpose of sipping tea, eating cake/ scones with jam and clotted cream and having interesting conversations.
Along with the leather coat featured a few posts ago, this was another Christmas present from my mum. She  found it on ebay - not that she is an ebay-aholic or anything! As I tore a strip from the tissue paper, I caught a glimpse of its nebulous print. From some angles it looks like blue roses, and from others it resembles shifting clouds. I tend to go more for shape and/ or colour rather than print on clothes, but when the pattern is as mesmerising as this, who could resist the tempation to wear it as often as possible?
After three consecutive plans for today being cancelled, I decided that the only thing to do was write, make brownies and then style lots of outfits for my blog (with both parents taking photos - I have my dad to thank for these ones). This is the first of those ensembles.
Underneath the dress I wore a charity shopped 'Topman' top,  and then added a gold belt given to me by my 'fairy godmother' (she of the Chanel Dress) and a vintage pheasant brooch I bought yesterday from a flea market. The grey hat is my latest  vintage Jaeger acquisition (the collection currently stands at about fifteen pieces!), bought from a favourite local charity shop. The faux fur coat was also bought from a charity shop about a year and a half ago, and I recently purchased this bag from a vintage/ junk shop - imagine my surprise when I bought it home to find that not only was it real leather, but it was also Russell & Bromley! I think my £4 was well spent.. And to finish, my charity shopped vintage Doc Marten brogues - beautiful, and incredibly painful - being a size too small.

The reason for a tea party themed outfit today probably stems from going out for afternoon tea with my mum and my lovely friend Elllen (who I have known since I was three!) yesterday. Back when I was pretty much bedbound after surgery, my mum promised that once I was better, she'd treat Ellen and me to an afternoon of treats. And that promise was fulfilled this weekend!


36 comments:

Libby said...

Tea parties are officially the best idea ever. I love the elegance and everyday beauty of a tea dress, and the one you're modelling seems to have a magical element. The pattern is mesmerising. And as for that hat... Wow! It's so lovely.

sacramento said...

Your dress is as exquisite as an English afternoon tea: scones, butter, straberry jam and cream with plenty of freshly brued tea, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ( sigh).
I love the shade of blue, and how well you have paired it with a gold belt and brooch. About the brogues and bag...I am at a loss for words.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Blythe and Charlotte said...

That dress is gorgeous! I love how abstract the pattern is--different people will see it differently. And it was brilliant to pair brown accessories such as your shoes and bag with the blue/black outfit.

-Charlotte
allesmode2010.blogspot.com

My Heart Blogged said...

Your outfit is amazing. Your quality of your shoots, and photos amazes me every time.
My Heart Blogged

Manon said...

Amazing photos!
I'm a blogger of Underage blog (http://www.underage-place.blogspot.com)and i would love to ask you some questions, because i interview some young talentuous bloggers :)
If you're ok with that, contact me on my blog, or by e-mail, and i will send you my questions!
xx

Miss Tami Lee said...

I love the colour! So vibrant and goes great with your skintone

adrielleroyale said...

This is a beautiful outfit! Great photos as usual :)

Closet Fashionista said...

LOVE that dress, it's gorgeous!!
My plans for today fell through too...so I sat around watching movies....haha
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

K said...

The dress is gorgeous, and I love the grey top under it (especially with the hat). Sounds like an excellent way to spend the day!

K xx



http://duenotice.blogspot.com/

Yasmeen Fahmy said...

I love the feel of these photos...Very warm and quaint :)

Yasmeen

Catherine said...

Roz, the quality of your blog's photography, writing and styling are unmatched. I meeaann, a reader really can't ask for anything better. Add to that the fact that you look like a model and this blog really is the best of the best! I always look forward to reading new posts. Please continue to be as inspiring as you are!

Lemondrop Marie said...

Such a pretty print. I am an ebay addict myself, for years!
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

Polka Princess said...

Love the vibrant blue of the dress.....& the brown of the bag & shoes go soooooo well with it!!!

Dylana Suarez said...

The dress is really stunning! Now I am dreaming about tea and scones!

xoxo,

colormenana.blogspot.com

northwest is best said...

What a delightful outfit, perfect for a tea party! Tea dresses have become a bit of a cliche though - when I was looking in a 'vintage' shop the other day they were charging up to £20 for polyester ones. This vintage trend is definitely at saturation point.
Plus I give you two thumbs up for the Kate Bush reference!

Hazelnut said...

Beautiful dress!

Pearl Westwood said...

Your mum really did find you the most wonderful dress, that print is absolutely stunning!

Rix og Mill said...

Looks amazing!
I'm in love with your faux fur

rixogmill.blogspot.com

alexandratherese said...

You can pull off hats so well Roz - I absolutely love this grey Jaeger one! Your brooch is a lovely touch too.

Alexandra Thérèse xx

www.alexandratherese.com

Penny Dreadful said...

The second photo down is by far my favourite, the way the light falls on your face is exquisite.

I love going out to tea as well, in fact it is one of my very favourite things to do. I know people get excited about cake, but I think I like the little sandwiches even better x

Nádia said...

Love everything about this!!! The hat, the coat, the dress, your awesome modelling skills!

You're an inspiration, my dear! :)

http://myfashioninsider.blogspot.com/

Monroe Steele said...

Wow that dress is AMazing! I love the fur coat and hat too. These photos are just gorgeous. Stunning scenary. Visit me soon. New Follower!

xoxo Monroe

Fashion Steele NYC

Amy Jessica said...

what a fabulous find!that dress is beautiful, suits you amazingly
much love
x
www.somethingmagicalcouldhappen.blogspot.com

cla-sib said...

oh wow i love your dress, great colour!!



xx claudia
www.cla-sib.blogspot.com

Soccer Mom Style said...

Beautiful dress and coat, Roz. But I think it's your purse that did it for me.
Thanks so much for your lovely comment. I am so happy to learn your necklace is still OK, because the one I made myself broke :(
This year I want to make time and take those jewelry making lessons that I've been meaning to take forever now ;)
Take care, beautiful girl!
xx
maya

Soccer Mom Style said...

woops, I meant to say the necklace I made FOR myself broke.
xx
have a great rest of the week!

LyddieGal said...

I am completely mesmerized by the print on that dress. Simply stunning!

Chic on the Cheap

November Grey said...

That hat is pretty amazing. And I love florals with black tights and layers for colder weather. I did a similar take on it here.

You look gorgeous, as always!

xx

November Grey

Milly said...

Really love to blog, I'm following!

Would love you to enter my giveaway:

http://thoroughlymodernmilly5.blogspot.com/2011/01/giveaway-be-my-february-girl.html

xx

Holly Springett said...

Love these shots - the blue print of the dress really pops against the background!

Marella said...

Hi dear! Your blog is amazing, so inspiring! Follow! Follow back? <3

EIGHT LONDON said...

You look absolutely smashing, and it seems both your parents are both supporters and indeed contributors to your blog; I think that's lovely.

You've inspired me to wear a tea dress to lectures this morning!

Julie said...

love your style ! just a nice different blog :-)
here is my blog : http://leblogmodedejulie.blogspot.com/

Ishawi said...

Hi!
You look so beautiful! You have amazing hair and legs! I love the shoes.
P.S. Are yo a model ;> You should be.

Chloë said...

I adore this outfit so so much! I love it with the fur coat and the colour and print are just stunning. It would be so perfect for a tea party!! I love afternoon tea- if you ever get a chance to go to The Four Seasons Hotel for afternoon tea it really is amazing. It's pricey but perfect for a special birthday or something!
http://chloetheporcelainprincess.blogspot.com
xxx

styleeast said...

This is one of my favourite looks of yours, so classic, but with a modern edge through the sleeves and accessorising! Thank you for your nice comment, I'm glad you're enjoying the photos. Just realised I don't have your link on my page, which I'll now resolve!x