Saturday, 22 January 2011

Long lines





There is something about a grey day that immediately makes me want to dress in the brightest colours possible, and that was the thinking behind this outfit. Although it was sunny when my dad took the photos of me, I  had dreamed up the combination while drizzle peppered the windows of my room a few days previously.
These photos were taken in London, just before my most recent post-surgery check up (which was reassuring - I'm now allowed to start doing physio). I love visiting Primrose Hill - it is surely one of the most beautiful spots in London. Nothing like taking in the panoramic views before strolling down towards Regents Park...

My lovely mum bought this beautiful leather coat for me for Christmas, from the local antique/ flea market stall that we often frequent. She told me that she had purchased it in early autumn, and at that point had thought it might be too long - even for me! However, sometimes surgery can prove useful, especially if there is a height gain involved! As usual, it's all the details that make this coat special to me. From the very soft leather, to the splits up the side, black edging and collar shape, it is all rather delicious. Underneath, I was wearing a look inspired by an idea of English eccentricity.
The culottes are charity shopped, vintage Marks & Spencer  - I think that the 'St Michael's' label (as it used to be known) is now very prevalent in my wardrobe. I bought both the orange cardigan (worn over a Next grey top) and original sixties hat on a rather fruitful charity shop expedition over the christmas holidays. My mum and I decided to make a day of visiting some renowned, but quite far away charity shops. When we arrived, the two we had specifically made the trip for were closed. However, we were pleasantly surprised by the treasures yielded by the others in town... On top of the items shown here, I managed to acquire a (brand new) Laura Ashley dress, a vintage Orla Kiely-esque blazer, vintage green shoes, a black lace skirt and yet another tartan kilt.
To this ensemble pictured, I added a gold top that used to live in my dressing up box, my great-grandma's pendant necklace, another great-grandma's pair of never-worn driving gloves, a charity shopped belt and my mum's boots.

When I was recovering from surgery, I spent a lot of time with my bed covered in magazines and clippings, ready to form moodboards. I thought the two I made below (a typical 'here's one I prepared earlier' moment) sum up my oufit pretty well. I'm going to make another one this evening, ready for a behind-the-camera shoot with a friend tomorrow!



35 comments:

The Lady Nerd said...

I don't know what it is about the first photo of this series, but I like it. There's something...somewhat exotic about it. It feels familiar, yet different. I guess it's one of those things where one takes everyday normal clothes and wears them in an untypical way. I rather like it. :)

You mentioned a height gain and you do look taller in your post-surgery photos. How tall are you now? (I thought you were quite tall to begin with!)

Pearl Westwood said...

What a lovely Christmas present, the coat it very beautiful. I also really like the turban, you wear it well x

Tiffany said...

The turban looks amazing. You wear it so gracefully and it's such a tricky piece to pull off. Great collages.
xoxo, Tiffany

Laura said...

I love your outfit! your turban looks amazing!
xoxo, Laura
http://fashiongivesmebutterflies.blogspot.com

Penny Dreadful said...

Love the first and last photos. The outfit definitely fits into the English eccentric category (one of my favourite styles!), especially with that fabulous turban. Also love the mix of textures and length - the long leather coat contrasts wonderfully with the gathered culottes and glimpse of sparkly cardi x

sacramento said...

The name of my blog: Mis papelicos, means my little cuouts. I thought I was the only one treasuring dreams on paper, but I can see yours magic ones...
About the outfit, what can i say that you haven´t describe better than I ever could????.
You look fantastic, the photos are wonderful, and the ensemble that was born in a hospital bed is now a reality for all of us to enjoy.
Mil besos.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

styleodyssey said...

you should post more moodboards- it's nice to see where your outfit inspirations come from.
you are one of those rare people who can wear a turban so beautifully. and that coat is splendid!
xo

L'age moyen said...

I love the coat - the colour is sublime. The turban with long hair is a fun combo. So glad your recovery is progressing as it should.

Blythe and Charlotte said...

I love how you've layered the cardigan and other tops!

-Charlotte
allesmode2010.blogspot.com

alexandratherese said...

Not many people can pull off that kind of coat Roz - but you can! Really like this ensemble; bright and cheery but in no way garish or OTT. Good work!

Alexandra Thérèse xx

www.alexandratherese.com

P.S. Glad to hear your post-surgery check up went well xx

Olivia Isabella. said...

What a fabulous Christmas present! And my gosh, it is a crime that you continue to grow whilst I stay the same height! Very glad to hear everything is on the right track so far though.
LOVE LOVE LOVE turbans! Oh they make me so excited! So glamorous and art nouvea! And you wear it so well.
UO x
unionolivia.blogspot.com

Eule-Lilaanaa said...

perfect look

Dylana Suarez said...

That coat is really a stunning piece! And you look so beautiful in a turban!

xoxo,

Dylana

Natalie Suarez said...

you are always so stunning! love it :)

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

My Heart Blogged said...

Your long coat is lovely. Lately in all this snow we have been getting all I want to do is wear bright colors. I'm getting so sick of my black boots but they are the only boots I have.
My Heart Blogged - Fashion Blogging

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

I'm so glad to hear your check-up went smoothly and you can start your physio program. I notice you commented on Taxonomy of my Wardrobe's blog that you are making a backless dress as a post-surgery statement. I absolutely love the black dress you made with the spine "collage" and can't wait to see how your next one turns out. I bought a similar coat on eBay last year and the sleeves are way too short for me:(. I love how you've paired yours with the gold dress-up box top and the 60s turban hat. I gave you a shout out on my FBFF post this week:). xo

Wild Flower said...

Fantastic dramatic coat! I adore the colour combo in your outfit and also love the gold surprise of the cardi underneath. You have reminded me to make collages! x

Kate said...

What a beautiful present! I love primrose hill its such a beautiful place, have you been the the market at the bottom of the hill?

I love your second picture- wonderful outfit :) great mood boards too- I tend to stick any random pictures down but yours are very detailed and themed.

As always, lovely post.
www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

Nora said...

der mantel udn der turban gefallen mir richtig gut! :)

Le garçon avec les lunettes, said...

I love everything here. You have such great style!!!

Mei-li said...

hey I love the turban on your head with the long coat

Catherine said...

I do the same thing on gray days! In fact, I bought a bright red raincoat for just that reason. : )

What a gorgeous coat— your mom has a great eye!

- Catherine at Littlehouse of Style
http://littlehouseofstyle.blogspot.com/

Hazelnut said...

What a dramatic coat! You look so effortlessly beautiful. I like the second photo best.

Jessica said...

the coat is beautiful, and the turban is amazing!
http://chicgeekblogger.blogspot.com/

katerina said...

just discover your blog!
gorgeous!
i'll follow you of course!!

http://katerinascloset.blogspot.com/

Becky-May said...

stunning! you pull off that coat so well :)


The Flower Girl

X

Julie and Lauren said...

Love the turban and the RL inspiration on your storyboard.
Xx.

http://bornandbread.blogspot.com

jane said...

Beautiful.

Fashion is me said...

Frankly I say, you look fantastic, well done

Great entry.

Adam,

http://fashionispartofme.blogspot.com

Irene said...

nice outfit!
xoxo irene
www.myfashionfindings.com

Paper Heart Girl said...

Wow lady, that has got to be one the best outfits I've seen blogged in a long time. I love anything that reminds me of toast, and this certainly does!

alwaysxbeing.blogspot.com xxxx

Hillary said...

Wow! Very nice outfit. I love the hat/turban and that coat is just glorious!! The length is just perfect and the colour looks great on you! Wonderful job missy!!

New follwoer :)

xoxo

www.thebrunetteshake.com

RedRose said...

These are stunning photo's! What a wonderful christmas present. I LOVE the turban and the coat, you always look so amazing and the colours in these photos make me smile.

http://www.lucystreasurechest.blogspot.com/

Closet Fashionista said...

I am in love with this outfit!! You look amazing :D The coat is so awesome!
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Nici said...

Really cool and nice outfits, love it!
Great blog! :)

Greetings,
Nici

http://electric-cats.blogspot.com/