Thursday, 24 February 2011

Homage to Jaeger





This post has been brewing in my mind for a while, a little like a stylishly coloured soup (perhaps carrot and coriander with a hint of tumeric, based on the latest collection?) on a slow heat that is only now coming to the boil. I often write about my mini collection of vintage Jaeger and my love for this quintessentially British brand. Perhaps it seems strange that someone of my age delights in such a perceived 'grown up' label - but this is the key to why I find the vintage pieces quite so irresistable. Sometimes I will pick up an item in a charity shop, mainly because I am attracted to either the cut or design, and then I catch a glimpse of that eponymous label - it's like a little Jaeger-radar operating in my head. But I suppose after a while, there are just certain label traits that one notices and picks up on. I like British heritage brands (Burberry and Pringle of Scotland also come to mind) - for me they represent an evocative image of elegant older women, stately homes and faded black and white photos. Jaeger is now something like 126 years old, and the pieces still have as much longevity today as they did twenty or thirty years ago. I always get the sense with each new Jaeger London collection that they have the same classic aesthetic, and a long-lasting beauty.

It was almost inevitable that I would, at some point, do a whole post centered around my carefully collected pieces. However, it just took one event at London Fashion Week to nudge me in the right direction. And that was the Vodafone private  VIP viewing event of the current season SS2011 collection of Jaeger London.
It was the end of Sunday, and mum and I were planning to go back before a party in the evening, when the wonderful Jill rang up with something of an opportunity. In fact, it was more than 'something', it was an incredible chance to sit front row at an event. So, armed with my camera and a lot of excitement, it was off to the BFC showspace to see one of my favourite clothing brands up close! I will feature my shots from the show in a forthcoming post, but for now you can see the Jaeger London video here. Big thanks to the absolutely charming Amy at Vodafone for organising this.

When I got back from London, it was strange reverting to a soundtrack of chirping birds, as opposed to the faint thumps of beating catwalk music. However, I felt very inspired after my trip, and immediately pulled out all the Jaeger clothes I owned. One messy room and three styled outfits later, here we are.

For my first look, I put my first ever Jaeger item - a grey jumper now so loved it is developing holes, with my latest buy - a plum coloured Jaeger skirt from my favourite charity shop. The hat is also vintage Jaeger, with a Christian Dior brooch that belonged to my Great-Grandma. The tights were my mum's, the beaded collar was my great grandma's as were the gloves, and I bought the shoes with my Next voucher.

In the second outfit, the Jaeger items are the skirt (ebay) and top (charity shop). The knitted socks were a present, the vintage shoes are from ebay and the owl necklace is vintage.


The third is made up of a cotton Jaeger dress from a vintage speciality charity shop in Edinburgh (with the hem taken up and sleeves rolled up) layered over a silk Jaeger shirt and tights from ebay. The shoes are Next, the belt was my grandma's and I made the 'mummy's scissors' necklace.

The colours of the new AW2011 collection remind me of a Frida Kahlo pallette without the dark undertones - all those earthy oranges, yellows and browns. And being a girl who likes classic alongside quirky, the tailored jackets and plentiful pockets appeal very much to my rural roots and aesthetic. I could definitely imagine rambling through leaves in any of these gorgeous creations, although perhaps without the heels!

33 comments:

Kate said...

Gorgeous outfits, adore the skirt in the first and second and the outfit in the third is amazing!!
www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

alexandratherese said...

The plum pencil skirt is beautiful Roz - such a rich and beautiful colour and a perfect fit on you! The grey hat goes perfectly too - it is rare to see those floppy felt hats nowadays and it's a shame as they always really make an outfit. Love your Next shoes too - they could easily pass as vintage!

Alexandra Thérèse xx

www.alexandratherese.com

Dodo said...

I really love the last outfit! And you know how to pose perfectly!!

Lucy said...

congrats Roz! what a brilliant opportunity. I love Jaeger too. I have some of their cute quilted pumps and i tend to prefer their new Boutique line but you wear the mainline brilliantly!
Thought I should mention I've posted my Shiny Thoughts of Fashion Week which you're in :)
http://www.shinythoughts.net/2011/02/lucys-shiny-thoughts-of-fashion-week.html

Polka Princess said...

Wow......this shoot actually looks like a lookbook of some vintage Jaeger collection! Each & every outfit is so well-styled! I really envy your chance of attending the Jaeger show at LFW!!!

Pearl Westwood said...

Such a lovely tribute to Jaeger Roz! I think it also goes to show how well the brand has stood the test of time, you know I am a sucker for Jaeger too x

Steffy's Pro's and Con's said...

i adore that yellow dress, and wherever the picture was taken! you look so desolate and alone it is amazing i can't get away from people if i try haha

<3 steffy
www.steffysprosandcons.blogspot.com

Charlie, Feminine Bravery said...

Beautiful mini collection, and I love how you've paired the items!

PinkBow said...

i can see why you're having such a love affair with this label. they suit you perfectly and make a really modern look.

Jessica said...

I love this post! Extremely vintage!

http://chicgeekblogger.blogspot.com/

Natalie Suarez said...

beautiful. and i love the way you write. amazing :)

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

Dylana Suarez said...

What an amazing collection! You look stunning in each piece!

xoxo,

colormenana.blogspot.com

Kelsey Genna said...

BEAUTIFUL.
You inspired me to stock up on coloured tights for the New Zealand winter x

Bog-Bog said...

Beautiful outfits!

the nyanzi report said...

Quick question, how in the world did you manage to pull that second shot off leaning that way without falling over...?

Venus in Furs said...

I love this! You always have perfect background.
You are like a professional model, are you going to be one of them? :)

sacramento said...

I like you best in the 3rd photo from the top.
Absolutely breathtaking.
Much love and besos.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

adrielleroyale said...

What great opportunities you've had the pleasure of taking! Great shots and fun outfits :)

Penny Dreadful said...

Love all the outfits, particularly the 80s dress with a belt - it is sometimes hard to know how to wear those styles, Jaeger did go through an extended frumpy period. They did some great stuff in the 60s and 70s (I recently found a 60s Jaeger skirt for the shop wheee!), and I'm so glad the label has had a revival. One of my favourite 'new' dresses is a zebra printed Bella Freud for Jaeger, and it makes me happy every time I put it on. xx

My Heart Blogged said...

That must have been such a great experience to sit in the front row of a designer you love. All of the pieces are really lovely.
My Heart Blogged

theTrendyDwarf said...

I love the first ensemble a lot due to the color combination of grey and maroon. In the second ensemble I love the floral printed skirt, patterned tights, and brown leather pumps. In the third look what I like is your belt in contrast to the rest of the outfit.
Check out my trendy blog!
http://thetrendydwarf.blogspot.com/

Raez said...

tumeric and corriander! never thought I'd hear those words outside of the kitchen, but very well used and worn here! love it! my favourite outfit would definitely tumeric:)

xx raez

Monroe Steele said...

Freakin gorgeous!

xoxo Monroe

Fashion Steele NYC

L'age moyen said...

I have a vintage Jaeger skirt in greys and beiges - it's quite beautiful. The thing I notice about it and your lovely items is the generous amount of excellent quality fabric. They designed items that gave enough fabric so a woman could MOVE in them. Often I look at pieces now and I think, hmmm, maximizing production were they? The colours are quite lovely and the styling - as always - unique and delicious.

Fashionistable said...

Wow you turned this post quick sharp after LFW. It is fab. I can see how you managed the 2nd pose, I can show David how you did it next time I see him :-) it is a great pose. And as always wonderful pictures and post. So, so lovely to see you. My pictures to follow soon. Xxxx

the Citizen Rosebud said...

Where have I been? For some reason I was unaware that you've been posting. Ahhh...hello!

I actually thought of you when I viewed the Jaeger collection via style.com. My personal fondness is for this incredble teal nubby tweed suit (ala Chanel style) jacket and skirt from the '80's that was a deal at $8 in a thrift store. The brand isn't common here in the US so nobody seemed to appreciate my score as much as I did.

You look great, so good at styling. I've been eagarly awaiting your report on London Fashion Week, so it looks like I've got a little back reading to do!

Olivia Isabella. said...

What a fabulous collection you have accumulated, you really do have an eye!
My favourite outfit is the first, my preference of colour palette and the plum suede skirt is perfect on you!
Olivia, x
unionolivia.blogspot.com

Fauxshionable said...

You're an incredibly talented model and stylist. Love your work!

Rebeccak said...

I love the colours here! Somehow familiar and unexpected at the same time.

I also completely adore those shoes in the first shot!!

ming siew said...

omg jesus ur gorgeous!

Izzy said...

You really do show off British Heritage at its best. My favourite outfit has to be the third, the dress is divine!
www.swampedinflowers.blogpsot.com

frances said...

You're such a photogenic little scamp! And perfect in Jaeger's grey and maroon x

Shopgirl said...

What lovely outfits and what a fabulous way to celebrate a trip to the catwalk show!