Thursday, 24 March 2011

"Blue, blue, electric blue"


Photographer: The brilliant Dvora of Fashionistable (So nice to finally meet her!)




Photographer: the very charming Marcus Dawes on behalf of LFW Daily

"Cometh the hour, cometh the man" - or I guess in this instance 'Cometh London Fashion Week, Cometh the blog posts'. Although within the fashion industry LFW has been and gone (that happened weeks ago sweetie!), I still felt that I had one last post on the subject of all things Somerset House...

First, above are two sets of photos by two great photographers, taken of the outfit I wore on the third day of London Fashion Week (technically my second day - I had a lightweight visit!) As you can see from the change in shoes, I wore my gentlemen's brogues to traipse to the venues, and then changed into a pair of Topshop heeled ankle boots later on.

Footwear aside, the rest of the outfit is comprised of my great-grandma's blue angora wool cardigan added to a handmade underskirt bought from a local vintage shop, and belted with a leather belt from a charity shop. The hat belonged to the same great-grandma (she liked her angora!), with a brooch  from a flea market. I have on a pair of my 'mummy's scissors' (home made by me) and the bag is vintage. The faux fur jacket was from a charity shop.

The last photo was taken at the Mulberry party. One of my favourite things about London Fashion Week is how unpredictable it can be. You can turn up in the morning, never quite knowing what will happen. For example, when meeting up with the stunning, stylish and effervescent Bip, she asked if my mum and I were interested in going to the party. I would have (literally) jumped at the chance, but I was wearing heels, so instead I just nodded very enthusiastically whilst gulping down coffee.
Mulberry is probably in the top three shows I would love to attend (the phrase 'beg, borrow or steal' an invitation comes to mind), and I really admire the direction Emma Hill has taken the brand. So, after a long day, my mum and I found ourselves ordering a taxi for Claridges. The surreal feeling was only intensified by the incredible countryside themed props, from birds on branches to oversized toadstools. 
Bip also has a younger sister, the gorgeous Evangeline, who is with Storm models. I am itching to turn my camera on the beautiful pair!

Finally, although the majority of my writing so far has been about people, the main reason for being there of course is the shows...
(photos by me)

The first show I saw was Louise Amstrup, which was a wonderful start to the few intoxicating days I spent in and around Somerset House. After queing for ages in the rain whilst ogling creatively dressed people, we were greeted by thumping techno music - I wasn't sure what to expect. However, the minute the first model emerged from the side to be illuminated by the wall of lightbulbs, I knew in was in for a treat. Showing as part of the On/Off program, her collection featured all sorts of details I love - stand out hats and headpieces, an intermixed range of interesting fabrics and colours (greys, blacks, dusky purples and yellows), and my favourite detail - reinterpretations of classic ideas. These are the kind of clothes to be worn to sashay through a misty city - the structural elements emerging and disappearing through patches of fog.

(photos by me)

A Vauxhall Fashion Scout show that I enjoyed was Masha Ma, which combined elements of ladylike elegance (long skirts, tailoring etc) with a more provocative frisson - namely the red PVC boots. I thought the structure of these garments were amazing, sometimes with details resembling waves and ripples (the jacket above) or fanned book pages. I always admire collections where the quality of the craftsmanship is apparent.
As I was sitting quite far back, I could only take waist up shots of both shows - as demonstrated in the photos above!

A third highlight was the Osman show, which was the most colourful experience of the week, with intense blues, oranges, pinks and zesty citrus shades that were juxtaposed with more sombre and muted tones. The word "languid" kept popping into my head while watching the fluid movements of the fabric. My favourite look was the black cape-like addition to a dress, with a bright orange lining. It's like a Louboutin sole - the fact that it is sometimes hidden from view makes it all the more exciting. In fact, I was reminded that one of my favourite items when I was little was my great-grandma's black umbrella. When folded, it looked plain and austerely stylish, but once opened up, it revealed a canopy lining of blue and pink roses. I loved how unexpected it was - it made rain tolerable! I didn't have my camera with me to snap any shots, but I'm sure you all know where style.com is...

47 comments:

Pearl Westwood said...

I love your cute hat, it is quite turban like. Your family have such a good eye for beautiful things. Great show reviews too, Osman is a favourtie of mine.

Carly said...

HI Rpz,

Lovely photos taken by the lovely Dvora. She's taken some great shots from all of the fashion weeks.

The shot of you and your mum made me think instantly of Alice in Wonderland, perhaps because of you height. You look incredible.

Great show reviews. I love how Osmans cape reminded you of the Louboutin sole, it's the little details like that that makes things so special.

www.dressedupdown.blogspot.com

xx

Vintage Rules said...

You look amazing. I love Louise Armstrup

Violeta said...

How can you always be that cute??

Barbro Andersen said...

Beautiful, beautiful, Roz. The angora is such a nice and soft touch, I really like it a lot. The pin is very unique as well.

It looks like you've had an amazing time: I'm actually quite envious! ^^, Hope you are well, sweetie!

Cece said...

Gorgeous colours! Your blog is so inspiring!

Lydia said...

Love the brooch on the hat!

Siri Elaine said...

Very Pretty, I love the makeup in the second photo Very simple yet beautiful. I love the bright blue. Fab.
Siri Elaine
sirisplace.blogspot.com

My Heart Blogged said...

You looked gorgeous. That must have been such an amazing experience. I've never been to a fashion show so for me it would be amazing.
My Heart Blogged

Monroe Steele said...

Wow great photos..i love your style its so quirky and sophisticated.

xoxo Monroe

Fashion Steele NYC

olivia said...

100% love every part of this post!

Blair said...

You are so, so beautiful! The photos are gorgeous.

The Fancy Teacup said...

You are such a doll! Especially adore your grandma's angora knit. Glad you had so much spontaneous fun at LFW!

www.TheFancyTeacup.com
much love.

Marilyn McSweetie said...

Love the outfit! That blue would have to be my favourite!

alexandratherese said...

Electric blue is a favourite of mine at the moment too and the mohair looks lovely and warm for London in February. "sashay through a misty city" = beautifully phrased Roz, I know exactly what you mean! I'm sure that you fitted right in with all of the "creatively dressed people" - you look it!

Catwalk said...

Wow, you look so beautiful. That blue is amazing, and i like the bag, even though it's not much visible.

Marella said...

You look amazing! <3

Elizabeth @rosalilium said...

Another effortlessly cool outfit - you look great in that sharp electric blue. Nothing like some vintage styling to create an original style.

Charlie, Feminine Bravery said...

You look cute and lovely as always! Love the colours in your outfits as well as the different textures!

I V Y said...

omg stunnner!

check out my blog and follow me on twitter @zebraandmeerkat x

Steffys Pros and Cons said...

your face just looks gorgeous and i love your hat and the whole color ensemble!


<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

Inspiration exists said...

The cardi is gorgeous and blue suits you so much!

Fashionistable said...

Thank you so much for your lovely words Roz. You got to go to the Mulberry party. You lucky lady you. It is great you got so much out of LFW. Long, long may it continue. Xxxx

Jessica said...

Lovely post,great outfit :)

http://chicgeekblogger.blogspot.com/

Olivia Isabella. said...

Love the hat (or if I am permitted to indulge myself in saying... furry turban?) especially paired with the bright blue of the jumper. I actually bought a clutch in those colours at London Fashion Week(end... sob! Haha!)
Ah, no problem! Everyone seems to be super busy, myself included. But at least you make the great effort to keep up on posting - which are as always fabulous to read - which I am barely doing! And thank you

Olivia x
unionolivia.blogspot.com

LORENA : TRAVEL DESIGNERY said...

these shots are beautiful

styleeast said...

I loved this outfit, Roz, you put together such gorgeous, contrasting looks for LFW. Can't wait to see what you wear for next season! This is a lovely photo of you with your Mum, she's so glamorous and stylish too, and the perfect partner for fashion week, she seemed to enjoy it just as much as you did! xx

Kennedy said...

this outfit is chic and refreshing and you are so adorable! im kind of obsessed with your blog now <3

Kate said...

beautiful jumper, it looks so soft! I love the flowing skirt and the shimmering colour of it.
www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

Flis said...

I love that underskirt, and it works so well with the blue jumper!

http://felicityotoole.blogspot.com

Lacee Swan said...

you look stunning! how fun to be a part of London Fashion Week!

Lady M said...

Loving your tan bag - sooo cute!
shame we couldn't meet up at LFW - i was there for the first half and then was ill
hope alls good with you

http://www.ladympresents.co.uk

Marta said...

OMG! You're so beautiful! Despite of you live in a small village, your style is so amazing. I'm watching your blog a couple of time and I think that I'm in love with your beauty and style. I adore this atmosphere of forests and English villages! Thank you for huge inspiration!

Xoxo, your loyal reader

Andrea said...

I love how you combined electric blue with yellow. And your make-up is gorgeous!

sacramento said...

You are daring now with high heel boots. How fantastic is that????
I can see the mummy sccissors. How many people made them in the end????
Blue love you, and so do I.
Have a superb weekend my dear Roz.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sissy said...

I really like the range of tactility in this outfit. Whenever I wear fur or fuzz I always find myself stroking it completely unaware of how odd I look until I notice somebody staring! But that's just me.

I know cinemtography is just divine. Have you seen stealing beauty? The cinematography in that makes me want to jet off to Tuscany whenever I watch it. And I really like the faded canvas and florals in Armani's costume design even though i am not really a fan of his.

Yes i have read the Great Gatsby, at the moment I'm on a Fitzgerald spree working through every story I can find. Have you seen Mia Farrow and Robert Redford in the Great Gatsby? It seems like the kind of thing that you would enjoy.

Thanks for your comment and sorry for the essay

gap-teeth.blogspot.com

the Citizen Rosebud said...

This IS the post the sums up why you and this blog are one of my faves of faves- the styling, the great photographing, the sweet humanity and the FASHION. I love those street style shots of you- and if I hadn't "met" you already I would so make you my new hero for the way you make vintage singingly modern and relevant. You are such a vision of beauty, and the sweet soul pinned beneath those model good looks drives it home and it puts it to bed. GORGEOUS.

And speaking of: I love seeing a pic of your mum! Hi mama of Roz! You are such a beauty too!

-Bella Q
the Citizen Rosebud

Emily Alice said...

great photos, what camera do you use?
check out my blog : www.being-emily.blogspot.com
:)
xxx

featherfactor said...

Wow, gorgeous. I love all the fur items - you styled it beautifully.

www.featherfactor.com

Raez said...

lovely outfit! definitely love he blue and yellow combo, and it really works on you:) ps, you and your mom look so cute!

xx raez

Dylana Suarez said...

You look stunning!

xoxo,

colormenana.blogspot.com

Charlotte said...

I love your outfit :)

http://fashionbrunette.blogspot.com

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

This is so gorgeous. I love how everything is put together. I am featuring this as modesty outfit inspiration on http://rubyeyedokapi.tumblr.com

Julie Khuu said...

Such a super chic look hun! From the fabulous shot of electric blue to the mustard tote...Fresh and fun, perfect transitional outfif for spring! You look stunning as always!

xo-Julie

Haute Khuuture Blog

Ellie said...

I absolutely love these photographs, they came out fantastic.
Have a great day
-Ellie

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

nice photos and reviews from the shows- how exciting for you!
and roz, you get more beautiful all the time. i absolutely love this look on you! especially the hat...
- Style Odyssey (blogger won't let me comment under that account)
xo

Georgy said...

I really love this outfit..Vintage style fits you. Take a look at my blog: http://ciocolataneagra.blogspot.com