Monday, 14 March 2011

Pink Moon


In these tumultous last few days, the overall outlook has been one of extreme sorrow - with flashes of hope inbetween. I was planning to post this yesterday, but somehow it just felt too inconsequential in comparison to the devastation experienced in Japan. The earthquake and tsunami have been much on my mind, as I'm sure it has for most people. I got into school early on friday morning, and noticed that some BBC footage was being streamed onto the whiteboard. I assumed that our teacher was preparing for a lesson, using an old news story, until I noticed the date in the corner - 11th March 2011. My friend and I watched in horror as footage of the wave covering buildings filled the usually blank screen. People came in laughing and joking, and as they noticed a gradual hush descended. Since then I have followed the updates on the Guardian website, and all I can say is that shivers run up and down my spine whenever I read about the latest number of casualties or the ongoing Nuclear problems. Sometimes it feels too intrusive seeing everything so immediately. Let's keep Japan in our thoughts and prayers.

So yes, turning my attention to an outfit post does seem frivolous, ... as though there should be a very big space between talking about Japan, and then describing what I'm wearing. However, perhaps its equally important to continue with the small daily celebrations of living. So here goes:
I have just started reading Brideshead Revisited, and have been very inspired by the ideal of pre-WW11 Oxford; full of tea in delicate china, champagne and strawberries, long summer days and punting down the river. Obviously I know this is not the main thrust of the book, but oh how it makes me want to don a silk chiffon dress and recite TS Elliot at dinner parties. Taking this as my inspiration, I devised an outfit that was a kind of feminised collegiate interpretation - right down to the bejewelled heels. I have also included a section of a moodboard I made that I thought reflected the feeling of the ensemble.

The silk shirt was my great-grandma's, as was the matching sash (tied in my hair). I bought the cardigan in a charity shop last week, as I adored the colour. The culottes are vintage seventies Marks & Spencers ('St Michaels'), also charity shopped, and the tights are from Next. I have to force myself not to just lazily reach for the culottes every day - they are the clothing equivalent of a social chameleon - changing the way they look depending on the context. The incredible satin shoes were given to me by Rosie, a stallholder from whom I buy copious amounts of vintage clothing and costume jewellery. The carpet bag was bought for me by my mum, and the little Radley belt is thrifted - the pin on the scarf in my hair and the necklace are vintage (from family). The gloves were given to me by the very kind Pearl.

My mum took the photos (In the photography stakes here, my dad needs to get his act together! Mum is beating him on the tally of recent shoots), on the hill above my village. The mist provided wonderful photographic atmosphere, and there was a sense of drama to the landscape. The title is taken from Nick Drake's album of the same name - his music is incredibly calming in this time of unrest. I think he had an innate ability to sound like he was singing to you personally.

If you haven't already, please read Jill's poignant post about Japan. Her suggestion about donating to the Red Cross (or another organisation) here is beautifully phrased. My thoughts are with any and every person affected by what's happening in Japan - from those who have lost family members or are currently unsure of their whereabouts, to those caught up in the chaos. Jill spoke of the blossom season in Japan, and how these delicate blooms in our country are like a reminder of those who are no longer with us. I feel that blossom, like so many other elements of spring, is a constant symbol of rebirth and new life. However, it will be a long time before the people, particularly of North-East Japan can recover, both structurally and emotionally, after this tragedy.

47 comments:

olivia said...

Everyone here is thinking of Japan too... Love your outfit!

Charlie, Feminine Bravery said...

Getting the news of what happened in Japan was horrifying and it almost felt unreal - things like that just don't happen, right? Sometimes it's good to think about something else for a while and just concentrate on something you love doing.

The outfit is lovely, and the background indeed looks dramatic :)

Steffy's Pro's and Con's said...

omg. these pictures are sooooo cute!!!!! i love the hair bow paired with the shirt, and the bag is fabulous. you're so pretty!

<3 steffy
steffysprosandcons.blogspot.com

Sarah Rose said...

Love the outfit - i live in Oxford and its story in WWII has always fascinated me. Of course, it was wanted to be used as capital so was never bombed; it has all the spectacular old building and gargoyles. I love walking down the few cobbled streets that are yet to become too modernised because it feels like a different world. We are all thinking of and praying for Japan in this crisis and your post about it was lovely.

Sarah x
( and i have been punting before, however, the warm bliss that you described seems to be more like screams of terror, as every moment it feels as though you are about to fall over-board!)

sacramento said...

We all know what we feel about Japan and Japanese people at present, so there is no need to go down that path any further.
I love the breath of fresh air of your outfit, in the middle of the English countryside.And the inspiration from Brideshead Revisited.
Adoring your bag, ahhhhhhhhhhhh ( suspiro= sigh)
Much love my dear Roz.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Mei-li said...

this 2 colors together are gorgeous !!
I have the same belt aswell aa!!
like in the 90's

Sara said...

CUTE!

danniekate said...

wonderfully written - it's so difficult to strike the balance between the serious and the whimsical. i'm gobsmacked by how callous some people are about japan; i've been following it on the guardian too and just praying like mad, good idea with the red cross, i always worry about charity scams though.
on a lighter note, i did a photoshoot this weekend and i felt like you! but not as cool, obvs :) x

the nyanzi report said...

It's a tragedy what's happened in Japan over the last few days. Our prayers go out to them.

This is a great combination of fashion and landscape photography. Your mum did a great job.

Jessica said...

Great post! It's terrible what happend in Japan.

http://chicgeekblogger.blogspot.com/

Swan said...

You know until I saw this I wasn't so sure about the 3 meters of pale peach velvet I bought. Now I am. And what a beautiful colour combination with turquoise, and your belt, everything is lovely.

San said...

Wonderful post, wonderful outfit and wonderful pictures.

I'm thinking about Japan constantly and I'm amazed by the japanes people and culture. They are handling those problems so amazingly. I'm in constant awe of them and naturally I donated, but to doctors without borders.

Kate said...

The way you write is so incredible! Your use of emotive language is so inspiring and you seem very considerate towards what has happened in Japan, you obviously thought twice about posting this so soon after such a tragedy but the way you have written it makes it seem as if it is a step in the right direction, doing the little you can to help.
As always, I can't wait for your next post, this outfit is gorgeous!
www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

Nici said...

I love that outfit, especially the cardigan!
That blue is so nice ♥

Elizabeth @rosalilium said...

Great taste in music, great taste in literature and great taste in clothes. You are a girl after my own heart! Outfit is lovely and yes, we are all feeling the pain for Japan - it is truly terrible.

MargieF said...

i love how elegantly frivolous this outfit is! the headband is my favourite part
margief
x
www.margieheartsclothes.blogspot.com

Penny Dreadful said...

It is always hard to know what to do isn't it. You are sad, you are horrified, you feel helpless... but life goes on. And you keep having to work, and eat, and talk, and even dress up. Because how would it help stopping doing any of that?

Anyway, I gave a little gasp when I saw your carpet bag. I've wanted one like it for ages but have never yet found the one for me, your mum has an excellent eye x

Dale said...

Very thoughtful post...the news is so sad in Japan.

Fashionistable said...

I echo everyone's sentiments for Japan, the power of nature - a reminder how fragile everything is.
Your cardy was the 1st thing to grab me about this outfit. Then quite frankly everything else too. Love this look, the colours the textures and the little doggie on your belt. Great shots Polly. Xxxx

Daywear Dilemmas said...

Love, love your bag! It's vintage?

Gisèle Kitagawa said...

nice pictures! love love love

http://bamgin.blogspot.com/

Miranda said...

It's so sad indeed.

Maria Tereza said...

lovely photos
lovely photos
lovely photos
your blog always inspire my week!
kisses

Natalie Suarez said...

wow! you look so so beautiful! i really love your long limbs! :)

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

Venus in Furs said...

Beautiful as always!

alexandratherese said...

I too was completely shocked by the earthquake and tsunami in Japan but it was heart-warming to see so many bloggers offer their good wishes and dedicate their posts to the people of Japan.

This combination of blue and pink is beautiful Roz - I particularly admire the pink silk scarf in your hair!

Alexandra Thérèse xx

www.alexandratherese.com

Anja said...

You look so gorgeous with this hairstyle!

Pearl Westwood said...

I think during times like this the only thing we can do is carry on as usual. If we could all go over and help the people in Japan we would, but besides from giving a donation and keeping them in our thoughts there is nothing else we can do. So frivalous as clothes are in comparison this is what we do, as without these little fripparies life would get to sad to bare.

WendyB said...

Stunning pictures. And I agree with Pearl. There's only so much we can do for Japan. As I just said on another blog, obsessing over the disaster doesn't actually help people in need. It's okay to continue with regular life and make donations to organizations that can extend genuine help to people in need.

RedRose said...

The peach is lovely and a breath of fresh air, gets me all excited about spring time. Also the carpet bag is incredible, I have searched everywhere for one!

http://www.lucystreasurechest.blogspot.com/

Francesca said...

lovely post and pictures.. thanks
http://www.frankvinyl.com

Raez said...

I really can't believe to imagine what it must be like to have been right then and there when it happened! prayers for japan!

On a lighter note, I really adore the combination of peachy pink and blue on you! it really compliments your colouring!

xx raez

the Citizen Rosebud said...

Ah, Roz, this is why I love your blog so much. I was much surprised by some of my fellow blogger's defensiveness when I made a call to contextualize our fashion with world events. I am not asking people to be depressed- but to keep the superficiality of fashion forefront when there are tragedies around us is astounding to me. To keep your head in the sand doesn't avert disaster. I'm not saying wear sackcloth, but an interior acknowledgment that we don't blog in a vacuum goes a long way. And you, amiga have just shown so eloquently and elegantly how it is done.
Thank you! -Bella Q
the Citizen Rosebud

Barbro Andersen said...

You're beautiful; inside and out. My thoughts are in Japan as well, and all those affected by this horrible disaster <3

Fashion Tales.... said...

I've been following your blog for a while & you always seem to amaze me in your style. lovely post!-xxoo
www.ladyofashion.co.uk

Ann said...

"So yes, turning my attention to an outfit post does seem frivolous, ... " I was feeling the exact same thing about posting makeup or fashion stuff... but like you said we need to keep loving life and living on. :) You look really beautiful and I love how you wear a lot of your grans things! I'm sure she was an extremely beautiful lady with great fashion sense just like YOU! :)

I can't believe you are only 15! :) You are so mature and well spoken! I'm sure you will do lots of great things in the future!

xxxx

Sofi Stellar said...

It's so sad about Japan :((( It's so good to see so many people talking about it, though.

I like the outfit you have on. Also, I can't help but comment on how jealous I am that you have such incredibly long legs! Wow!

Dolce Gabannka said...

You have amazing style and you inpire me :)
www.dolcegabanka.blogspot.com :)

Dolce Gabannka said...

Wonderful photos, I really like it
www.dolcegabanka.blogspot.com

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

love that headscarf! it goes beautifully with the blue cardigan. could you make us a video tutorial on how to wrap the scarf sometime? a video tutorial in general would be super fun too! =)

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

You've interpreted your moodboard beautifully here - the headband is such a beautiful shade of peach and it's a lovely contrast to your hair:). What a beautiful location for these pics and a very sensitive post.

isabelle said...

great post









drinkteabecontent.blogspot.com

polobandit said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I love these photos.

<3 Theo

LORENA : TRAVEL DESIGNERY said...

your style is so unique, loving it..now following, i hope you can also! i'm a designer from NY, i just started my blog and i would really appreciate the support :-) thank you so much!

Y.A.R. said...

Your style is amazing and original, your blog is now one of my new favorites!

foxtrappedintheheadlights said...

beautiful shots and amazing outfit. your style is inimitable.

http://foxtrappedintheheadlights.blogspot.com/

Sofi said...

I love these photos! great outfit