Tuesday, 1 March 2011

A sense of humour

I have to thank the wonderful Style East for taking what I think is my favourite photo of the whole fashion week - it really encapsulates all that is whimsical, fun and fantastical about LFW. By the monday, I had got used to the whole rather fabulous circus/ cabaret that is Somerset House, and was up for some fun. So when I meandered outside with Style East, the first thought that went through my head was "jump!" And reader, she got the shot - in one! Please do take a look at her blog if you want to read a fantastic post!

I know that sometimes naysayers claim that fashion gives nothing to the world and is merely a frivolity. Well, the latter maybe has a little truth - we've all overheard a vacuous conversation or two at some point. However, the same argument could equally be applied to the fields of modern art, sport, cars, fine food or wine etc... And I really resent the view held by some that if one enjoys fashion one must be a 'bubblehead'. Fashion may not solve world crisis' (but it can be valuable to help rebuild psychological confidence - read Linda Grant's 'The Thoughtful Dresser' if you don't believe me), but to use a suitably cheesy Devil Wears Prada quote - "We live our lives in it". And one of my favourite things about living in good clothes is the sheer fun it presents. I love getting up on a weekend, knowing that I can choose to wear whatever I want, and that I can enjoy the process of putting it together. Likewise, one of the best parts of behind-the-camera shoots with friends is the organisation and styling stage. After all, isn't styling merely an extension or update of the beloved childhood dressing up box?

Of course, London Fashion Week is a serious matter for most. People's careers hinge around it - whether you are a new designer trying to make your name or a journalist reporting. But sometimes it's nice to take a step back and appreciate the funny alongside the business-like. Lucy's Snippets of Shiny Thoughts provide a perfect example of whimsical observations of the industry. Something else that had me chortling at my computer were the Fake London Fashion Week tweets, with one notable excerpt being:

"Colour crisis! Can't decide [if] Aquascutum mac is orange, tangerine, mandarin, satsuma, Libby's Orange C, Quosh or FiveAlive #madeuplfwtweets" You can see @MichaelHogan for more gems.

I don't know if it is slightly tongue in cheek to take something that gently ridicules the fashion industry and use it as proper inspiration, but I couldn't resist. And so I present my own orange ensemble. The particular shades in question are up to you...
Alright, Jane Eyre may be a bit of a cliched blogger book choice (at least I didn't include my matching mug!), but I plead my case on two points. One, it is the orange-est cover on my shelves. Two, it also happens to be one of my favourite reads - I sped through it. The cardigan is from a charity shop, and the accessories are all family inherited.

Another little humorous detail I noticed at LFW was this dog peering out of a bag at the Jaeger London/ Vodafone show. (The photo is mine). My mum and I were musing as to whether it belonged to someone backstage, or whether there is the equivalent of a dog modelling agency for shoots and catwalks requiring a canine element? Thanks once again to lovely Amy at Vodafone.
Edit: The dog has now been named as Butters, and belongs to The Clothes Whisperer. This was apprently Butters' catwalk debut, and this cute little canine has her own dogblog here.

Finally, to do the usual blogger thing, here is a summary of what I was wearing on that monday at London Fashion Week. The denim dress is vintage Calvin Klein, bought off ebay. The headscarf is Charlotte Taylor, the bag was from a charity shop stall at the Big Chill music festival and the belt was my paternal Grandma's. I think her late son (my dad's brother) made the buckle? The shoes and tights are both from ebay.

Photo credit: Vogue Portugal (Mafalda Silva)

Do you think that fashion has both a place as art (Alexander McQueen springs to mind) as well as the simple function of being worn and enjoyed? What about the humour of fashion? I particularly loved seeing milliner Stephen Jones' latest hat collection, which has a great sense of whimsy and not taking itself too seriously (a Chanel-style cardigan for your head? An upside down bowler hat?) in the topsy-turvy inspired creations.

52 comments:

E is for Eleanor said...

One of my favourite outfits from you! Love the hairscarf and the first photo is just subversive perfection! And the pigeon flying into shot is just brilliant :D

x

Indigo said...

i love your hair! you have inspired me as to what to do with mine tomorrow! X

Venus in Furs said...

I love your Jane Eyre photo!

styleeast said...

Oh I LOVE your post!! And how you've reframed the shot (more pigeon - I like it!). It makes me laugh just thinking about it, and how gutted I was at the time for that stupid bird ruining my picture.

Your orange photo is amazing, that's so funny, you've surpassed my expectations on what I knew would be a wonderful 'fun' take on things.

Roll on the next one, plenty more fun to be had! xx

The Lady Nerd said...

I absolutely love that jumping shot! It is whimsical indeed! I think the pigeon definitely adds just that extra bit of 'oomph' to the photo. :P

Jennifer said...

Wow. I totally love how you rock the mustard color tights & hair scarf. Adorable.

Pearl Westwood said...

Oh Roz that first photo is simply wonderful!! I think you have to have fun with fashion, you have to have fun with everything otherwise life would be very dull indeed! I actually just found the most hilarious shoes, they are a black velvet mens slipper with embrodery, a 'screw' on one foot and a larger letter 'U' on the other!! Such a shame I can't get them into the UK without a huge shipping and import charge or I would snap them up in a heartbeat. We could all use some more laughs and humour in our lives!

TC said...

wonderful post! I love the first two photos so much. So jealous that you got to go to LFW!

treschiccs.blogspot.com

Miki's scrapbook said...

I totally agree to everything you said in these first paragraphs of this post. And man, you look awesome! Love the first pic!

Hope you're having a great day! ;)

Miki.

Closet Fashionista said...

Love these!! That first shot is MAGIC!!! The bird flying in makes it XD
And what you said is so true, I love that quote from Devil Wears Prada, haha...
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Steffy's Pro's and Con's said...

picture number one... sooooo funny. i laughed out loud. i love love love it!!!

<3 steffy
steffysprosandcons.blogspot.com

Catherine said...

You look so adorable in all of your photos! Love the way your headscarf matches your dress & tights~

My Heart Blogged said...

I think fashion can be so many things. I don't like to put it in a box. It can be art, and it can also be fun. I don't like to take fashion so seriously. I love runway shows, and reading small blogs of people just discovering their style.

Your outfits are really beautiful. I love your use of yellow, and orange. I like the little detail of the orange eyeshadow.
My Heart Blogged

Kit said...

Hey Roz, it was lovely to meet you...sorry it was just a brief meeting.
Your styles are impeccable and envious.

The dog in the bag in the Jaeger show belongs to my blog friend Kristin Knox of The Clothes Whisperer. The dog is called Butters, she's a cute little thing.

Kit xxx
Style Slicker

styleodyssey said...

my philosophy is that fashion is more design than art. that is to say, it's not a "fine" art but considered an applied art.
you have an eye for whimisical fun! more posts like this from time to time are definitely in order. i love how you've added mustard yellow tights to the calvin klein denim dress! and the all-orange is totally charming, right down to the orange eye shadow.
also, well done on the LFW photo- the little dog is definitely unexpected on the runway.
xo

Rona S. said...

im gonna be honest and say that i didnt read the text (this time) but i looove the pictures, you always amaze me:)keep it up xx

www.littlefashionnotes.blogspot.com

DEE said...

Great outfit! Your dress and scarf are amazing!
-DEE

adrielleroyale said...

I absolutely love these playful shots of you!! If fashion is about the joy of mixing, matching, designing and creating, then there should be a show of fun too, I think :) That's my 2 cents anyway.

Nadine2point0 said...

Great post - love your writing. Love your thrifted orange cardi. A couple days ago, I complained to my mom that I tasted the most un-orangyest, imported oranges this season.

Jenny Morris said...

the bird thats flying into the image is the coolest thing. this is the best image ive seen in a while!

Dylana Suarez said...

That denim dress looks so amazing!

xoxo,

colormenana.blogspot.com

scientistchic said...

I really enjoyed reading this post, your outfits are wonderful, as always! I think that the bottom line is if you aren't having fun with fashion then you're doing something wrong! I completely agree with you about weekends and having complete styling freedom; I head straight for my 'dressing up box' and spend hours just playing. Fashion can be artistic, expressionistic, sexy, androgynous etc, but it should never stop being fun. xx

alexandratherese said...

We all have to wear clothes everyday like it or not so we might as well have fun with them! I think that fashion is definitely a form of art too as designers put so much time and effort into their collections to create them to the same level of perfection they envisage in their heads. Maybe fashion isn't necessary - but then you could argue that most things aren't. It makes up our culture (in Britain) and other cultures around the world - think how many fashion weeks their are in the world!

Alexandra Thérèse xx

www.alexandratherese.com

Anja said...

You look marvellous! I love this colourful outfit.

the nyanzi report said...

What a great post. Well written and edited. I'm still speechless about the first picture.

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

The first image is so wonderfully playful.
Reminds one of fashionable birds flying high in the sky at London fashion Week. I adore the tights and head-wear.

Rebeccak said...

Oh that first photo is incredible - the pigeon swooping in on the left! Magic!

Fanny Pinkleton said...

Pearl summed it up very well, life has to be fun, fashion included. What a waste if it wasn't!

Great shot of the jump, love the pigeon!

Fashionistable said...

That 1st photo is genius and caught 1st time ANAZING. Love it. This post of your has had me laughing it is brilliant you have used the orange tweet for inspiration. Your Jager catwalk shot is lovely. My guess is the dog belong to someone in the crew. Maybe even the model. Thank you for making me smile. Xxxx

Jessica said...

Love the second photo escpecially the hand brooch!

http://chicgeekblogger.blogspot.com/

Polka Princess said...

That first shot is ingenuous!! And loving the orange-on-orange ensemble.......perfectly styled! Sounds like you had fun at LFW!! :)

P.S.: You look so (prettily) different with your hair up!

Annebeth said...

these are perfect, I love how you look a bit vintage (but in a classic rather than a throwback way), with a whole lot of fun sprinkled on top! great one!

Kate said...

This is such an inspiring post! It is definitely my favourite post of yours I have ever read, the first shot is magical! I adore your "orange" photo, using Jane Eyre is such a brilliant idea, I have a feeling I may be stealing a few ideas from this post! It sounds like you had an amazing time a LFW, I really wish I could have been there. I thought you had to be 18? Anyway, I cannot wait for your next post.
www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

Mei-li said...

aaa i definitively to read jane eyre before it will be on cinema, by the way did you see the version with Charlotte gainsbourg ??? ( I pretty much like it's the version of my childhood )

Penny Dreadful said...

I agree with everything you say Roz, and it does annoy me when people snobbishly assume that fashion is shallow or stupid. Does anyone say the same thing about men watching football? One could sensibly argue that it has even less relevance to reality, and fills no real function. I absolutely think fashion is a form of art that incorporates both function and creativity, and I love it for the fact that no matter who you are, you can enjoy fashion in your life. It is really one of the most egalitarian forms of art.

Ramble over! I saw that shot of you on Style East this morning, and loved it. The orange outfit is even better, one of the most fabulous things I have seen you in. Would you mind if I put it into my next bloggy round-up post with a link-back? xx

November Grey said...

OMG you're SO ADORABLE. You're like the perfect model. Love it. Love the scarf in your hair.

xx

November Grey

Visit my new side project on redesigned thrift! Secondhand Star

the Citizen Rosebud said...

What a fantastic shot! And you wear the best color combos,no less. I swear I get more and more impressed with you.

As for the orange= brilliant. The eye make-up is crazy but gorgeous you pulls it off. GREAT ensemble, and I loved Jane Eyre!
Enter to Win My Shabby Apple Dress Give-Away- the Citizen Rosebud

Lucy said...

aah thanks for featuring me Roz :) very sweet of you and I'm glad you liked your pic and your thought! Im really pleased to have shown my LFW pics in a new light this season, hopefully it may become a bit of a trend for me and others :)
I heard about the madeuptweets today - sounds hilarious! Another example of us not taking it too seriously! Love your orange ensemble and that yuou went to the effort of upping him by being what could have been the muse for that tweet - love that youve not taken yourself seriously by doing it! haha
lots of love xxx

Shopgirl said...

I love that first photo of you! I think fashion is all about having fun and dressing up. It is certainly an extension of "play" from childhood.

Not sure if anyone else commented about the dog - it is The Clothes' Whisperer's dog, Butters: you can see the post about his catwalk debut here: http://www.theclotheswhisperer.co.uk/2011/02/london-fashion-week-special-butters.html

He even has his own blog!!! http://buttersthefashiondog.blogspot.com/

Great post, xx

Thekla said...

wow i love it:)x



www.inablondeworld.net

Dale said...

Really cute outfit with the yellow tights. I like your style.

Dale
www.savvyspice.blogspot.com

Viv said...

i love that first photo, it's so fun!




myblissisthisway.blogspot.com

San said...

Great Post, I adore the first two pics, they are AMAZING. Jane Eyre? Can't say I liked it, but what I loved is "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde, who makes great use of Jane Eyre. It's one of my favourite books ever. Thanks for the book tip of "the thoughtful dresser" just added it to my amazon wishlist.

And over 30 hats in your collection? I so do envy you. ;) I only own 3 hats and 4 caps at this point and one of it is a base cap. Mmmh. Anyway I think you make lovely use of your hat collection and blog and thanks for the reminder that putting outfits together is actually fun.

Enjoy your weekend.

Natalie Suarez said...

you have totally inspired me to wear bright colored tights. u r stunning! :)

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

Benedicte MAGEN said...

lovee that !!

http://www.theupperfashion.com

sacramento said...

Love, love that first photo so much. Wowwwwwwww you are tall and really beautiful my dear Roz.
Have a great weekend.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Valencia Lia said...

Such beautiful outfits all the time!!!

Always such an inspiration to me :)

-WANDERLUSTERS- said...

I'd totally seen these going around tumblr and now I know the source! I'm glad I found your blog!!

savez said...

great! first pic rocks! as simple as that;)
cheers!

http://staklenebombone.blogspot.com

made-to-travel.com said...

woah! just discovering your blog, where have i been?!- i do believe that fashion is an art like the others you mentioned and there's tons of room for expression and different genres: romantic, edgy, dramatic and definitely humor.

Charlotte said...

I LOVE the first picture :) You look amazing!

http://fashionbrunette.blogspot.com

designsonfragility said...

i am very in favor of coordinating one's clothes with one's book of the moment. you really don't want to clash with your reading material.