Sunday, 20 March 2011

Serenity






Serenity is a word that has been resonating over the past week - on both an international, and personal level. The events in Japan and now in Libya have been full of destruction and tragedy, with occasional moments of calm - like a tiny break in the clouds. In the face of adversity of this magnitude, I wish that those who are actually experiencing and living through the stories we see in the newspapers could be granted some form of serenity.

I was feeling rather serene when these photos were taken (nothing like a walk in the hills to vanquish revision stress), which is odd as the original inspiration for the outfit was a 'jolly hockey-sticks' style 1930s tennis outfit - not exactly an idea usually associated with peaceful pursuit! However, the clear blue skies and airy feel evoked nothing less than a sense of freedom - or maybe I'm just being too poetic.
The idea for this outfit started with the skirt - I noticed the emerald green pleats, like a bold peacock, among the many rails of garments at 'Bang Bang Clothing Exchange' in London. (I would link to their website, but they don't have one). I had about an hour to spare before catching a train home, and after making a round of the charity shops, I thought I might pop into this place. All that I can say is that I will return again, with plenty more money to spend! I think this skirt is vintage 'Browns Boutique'?
You know an item is special when you start planning outfit combinations in advance. What might I wear with this lovely length of linen, I pondered on the train. Perhaps that silk jersey shirt bought from a charity shop in the summer? Maybe alongside my white brogues? And the battered vintage brief case I found at a jumble sale?
This little dress up game in my mind passed the time comfortably, and when the ensemble made the transition from hypothetical to actual (the next day), I added a white silk sash, and lots of vintage badges down the front of the shirt. They are all sporting mementos, proclaiming exciting things like "Ladies tennis finals 1953" and "Hockey Championship". I enjoyed collecting brooches (I saw them as treasure) when I was little, meaning that they were my first foray into vintage jewellery.

My hair looks quite different, as it is has a middle parting (somehow this seems to reinforce the 'spiffing! What ho!' sporty image. Can anyone tell I used to love Enid Blyton books?) - a fading remnant from being photographed for a feature the previous day. My hair was styled by Tomihiro Kono, who, when he isn't creating bouffant flights of fancy, devotes his attention to making these incredible/ stunning/ breathtaking (choose according to your reaction) head props:





You know the over-used term 'visual feast'? Do you think it was created with his designs in mind? Maybe it is the delicious theatricality, combined with the Man Ray-esque photography, that made me gasp when I saw the lookbook. I'm not usually a fashion luvvie (similar to a theatre luvvie who proclaims that everything is "fabulous darling" and "a triumph my dear!"), but this did elicit a kind of 'Oh-my-gosh-these-are-amazing-I-want-to-wear-them-and-stare-at-them-lovingly-before-taking-photos-of-them-in-interesting-locations' reaction. If I ever pursue photography as a profession, I want to borrow some of these for a shoot! However, I think that these photos are perfect - just the right combination of lighting, model and stylised feel.

38 comments:

olivia said...

That's beautiful! What will you be featured in?

alexandratherese said...

Very Jonathan Saunders SS11 - especially the beautiful colour of the skirt! Really like the quirky touch with the brooches and the satchel really rounds of the outfit nicely. You always seem to have perfect weather Roz - I wish it was as sunny and picturesque in the rest of the UK all the time!

Alexandra Thérèse xx

www.alexandratherese.com

Pearl Westwood said...

"You know an item is special when you start planning outfit combinations in advance." So, so true!

Hannah said...

absolutely gorgeous. I wish I were as photogenic as you!

ANDYTOP said...

Me encanta¡¡¡

Carly said...

Oh Roz, you reminded me of my dear collection of Enid Blyton books, The Famous Five were my favourite. I tried to recreate some of their adventures with my friends in the countryside where we lived when I was younger. Great memories.

Thanks for drawing my attention to Tomihiro Konos collection, its so great to discover new designers, I'm going straight to his website to see the rest of his work.

I hope you're well. Who took these latest pictures? Is your dad catching your mum up yet in the recent photo tally?

Carly. x

www.dressedupdown.blogspot.com

Wild Flower said...

Great! Your writing is delightful. The skirt is gorgeous with the pleats and colour and I love how you took it to the 30s sporting look.
My fav detail in your outfit are the old sporting badges down the placard of your shirt. You know I'm gonna keep this in mind for my outfits!
Your photos are often serene and I love that.

Steffy's Pro's and Con's said...

gorgeous briefcase and i love the green skirt!

<3 steffy
steffysprosandcons.blogspot.com

Genevieve said...

Pretty shoes! I love your top! I'm going to go follow your blog now!

My Heart Blogged said...

I'm excited to see your feature. The outfit is lovely. I green is very pretty.
My Heart Blogged

Dylana Suarez said...

You are a gorgeous ballerina!

xoxo,

colormenana.blogspot.com

Emily Shmidt said...

I'm in love with this color! I want to se the same!You're looking good...

the nyanzi report said...

Third picture is superb!

Inspiration exists said...

Great outfit, love your play with vintage items to achieve very modern and stylish look!

styleeast said...

I'm totally the same, I always plan outfits in my mind, adding details, trying to imagine how it'll come together! You've done it beautifully here and that gorgeous skirt was the perfect starting point. Your hair is looking lovely too! x

Jessica said...

Great post, I love the buttons!

http://chicgeekblogger.blogspot.com/

Kate said...

I love the skirt, such a beautiful emerald green. You always manage to find the most interesting locations and perfect spots for photographs!

Those head props are magnificent! The first one reminds me of the artwork at the National Portrait Gallery of Isabella Blow's head!
www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

Taryn said...

Those photos are absolutely gorgeous! You have such pretty hair, I think the center part is really flattering on you. The color of that skirt is really gorgeous as well.

style-phenomenon.blogspot.com

sacramento said...

Thank you so much for your beautiful words and photos, my dear Roz.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Fashion Cappuccino said...

Such a beautiful skirt! And the way the wind is blowing adds to your outfit's movement! The third photo is my favorite! xoxoxoo

Fashionistable said...

Green and blue, very calming indeed. Some say they clash I for one disagree. You look wonderful in front of the blue sky. The head pieces are works of art. Xxxx

Vintage Rules said...

Love your satchel

Miss Jolie said...

PERFECTION !
http://demoiselleaparis.canalblog.com/

Fabiénne said...

skirt is devine!

thatgirlkip

SabinePsynopsis said...

The styling is quite wonderful; I especially love the many different buttons - and the skirt, what a find! Also I think gasping is allowed with these headpieces they are 'FABULOUS, DARLING' :)

P.S. I still want to send you my vintage Jaeger dress, though I fear it will only go to your thighs... will email you about that. xoxo

Jaymie said...

Stunning!
What a gorgeous colour on the skirt!
www.jaymieocallaghan.com

The Fancy Teacup said...

Truly serene looking. Love the ladylike aspects of the outfit, from the tailored collar, the pleated peacock hued skirt, down to those darling white brogues.

www.TheFancyTeacup.com
much love.

the Citizen Rosebud said...

The buttons get me. LOVE.
the Citizen Rosebud

Britt+Whit said...

love that you are writing about real events! I think its so important to combine Fashion and Involvement. Loving your green skirt. Great post!


love from SF,

http://www.brittandwhit.com

Britt+Whit

Marie @ Lemondrop Vintage said...

That color and length of skirt on you is gorgeous!


Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
Otis and James accessory giveaway

Lydia said...

I love your outfits and pics!! So fun!

Wida said...

Wow! You're so gorgeous!!

Wida
Missing Amsie Blog

Julia_Julia said...

wow
http://mrsjuliajulia.blogspot.com/

Hazelnut said...

You look gorgeous! The 4th photo of you is my favorite. I absolutely adore your outfit! And that skirt is to die for. :)

alexandra grecco said...

you are so so lovely ; )

xx
Alexandra
www.alexandragrecco.etsy.com

Ishawi said...

I fell in love with your post again.
I'm crazy about your style, I think it's a kind of magic.
C.

lavelle said...

Your outfits are always so lovely! Gorgeous style xx

Georgy said...

You have beautiful pictures..and your blog is very lovely!