Sunday, 3 April 2011

Black and white and 'red' all over






The recent deaths of both Jane Russell and Elizabeth Taylor (plus the subsequent online and in-print articles on their films and respective merits) provoked me into thinking once again about the 'Golden Age of Hollywood'. These monochrome and otherworldly icons may have passed on, but they are very much alive in the films and photos they left behind; whether it is Audrey Hepburn's charming smile framed with bunches of technicolour flowers in 'Funny Face' or Jane Russell doing an impression of her co-star Marilyn Monroe in 'Gentlemen prefer Blondes' (which incidentally is my favourite MM film after 'Some Like it Hot'). These women represented the epitome of glamour as idols (even if their lives didn't always reflect this) - and some of them could even act!
How often do we use the word legend about the stars of today? Maybe, like the Norse or Greek stories and legends, it is some kind of mythical status that can only be achieved post-death, once one becomes a part of the past as opposed to the present. Which begs the question, who are the twenty-first century Elizabeth Taylors?

I must guiltily admit at this point that I have not seen any Elizabeth Taylor films, although I have added 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof' and 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf' to my to-watch list. Although, for sartorial inspiration one can just stare admiringly at pictures of her.

Talking of inspiration, I don't think I could adore vintage clothing as much without immersing myself in the culture that the clothes reflect - which perhaps explains my penchant for 'The Kinks', 'The Beatles' and Kate Bush (but maybe not my additional love of eighties pop), alongside my general obsession with old films and magazines from previous eras. The Red Shoes, Top Hat, Singin' in the Rain - the visuals alone of these films are incredibly awe-inspiring. However, maybe the film that I can credit most for the pictured outfit is 'Breakfast at Tiffany's'. After all, I'm wearing a little black dress - it couldn't exactly have been inspired by Shaun of the Dead!

I picked this black dress up in a charity shop just before London Fashion Week. Then lo and behold, at LFW, Jill was wearing an item so similar that I wonder if it is the same! If so, I think this dress is Benetton. Feeling uncharacteristically minimal for me, all I added for photos was a short sleeved top underneath, my mum's vintage belt and some vintage red shoes. Okay, and a vintage St Michaels hat... And a sixties necklace... Plus my grandad's sunglasses and a vintage bag... Maybe I should delete the minimal bit. The feel was Audrey Hepburn meets up-and-coming classic french actress. I'm not sure if that's even accurate, but I may have been using artistic license.

I have been really enjoying reading all the entries for the giveaway (see the next post down for details), please keep the wonderful suggestions coming...

Regarding the title of the post - one of the first jokes I remember really getting in terms of wordplay was that great old chestnut - What is black and white and red (read) all over? Answer - a newspaper. My favourite thing to read on a Saturday morning!

39 comments:

olivia said...

Love it! Your hat is so cute.

Polka Princess said...

You have such a nice lean figure.....& this silhouette is absolutely complementing it! Loving the red lips too!! :)

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

I adore your glamorous redlips and the other spash of red at your feet. Must confess that I'm quite in love with your hat and dress. xx

Natalie Suarez said...

stunning! love these images! :)

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

Dylana Suarez said...

Always such a stunner. Roz, you have such timeless taste in clothes!

xoxo,

colormenana.blogspot.com

Pearl Westwood said...

Oh Roz you are forgetting about the other thing that is black, white and red all over - a sun burnt penguin ;-)

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

i used to love reading the sunday paper- must get a subscription started.
your outfit is very chanel! xo
- Style Odyssey

Caitlin Rose said...

you are stunning. a very beautiful tribute.

TC said...

absolutely stunning! I can definitely see the Audrey Hepburn meets up and coming classic french actress.

treschiccs.blogspot.com

Mill said...

Wow you're beautiful!
Adorable outfit


rixogmill.blogspot.com

Kennedy said...

you look like the most glamorous here! beautiful!

Steffys Pros and Cons said...

lovely belt and the red shoes are adorable with the outfit!


<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

M & Em said...

You look STUNNING.

xoxo
Em

My Heart Blogged said...

I love the dress on you. I'm not sure if we will have legends. There are some great actors out there though. But, it seems so many great actors still have a bad movie every now, and then.
My Heart Blogged

The Fancy Teacup said...

You just emulate vintage Hollywood glamour. Adore the siren lips and shoes.

www.TheFancyTeacup.com
much love.

Lydia said...

Love the hat. You look awesome.

Penny Dreadful said...

As long as there are beautiful women and men there will be legends. But like artists, we prefer to worship when they are old or gone ;)

I love Gentlement Prefer Blonges, it is my favourite MM. I hope they put some Liz Taylor movies on TV soon, the only one I have seen is Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and I know she was in so many others.

The first shot is my favourite btw, very film noir :) xx

flat faced cat said...

This look is classic and slick... gorgeous, simply gorgeous!

Best,
http://camilynbeth.blogspot.com/

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

Utterly, utterly stunning - I adore the gorgeous hat and the touches of red in the shoes and lippy. You certainly look like a silver screen queen in this outfit and should be on the cover of Photoplay:))) xoxo

Inspiration exists said...

Tres chic, you look gorgous!

AvaPilar said...

If you like musicals I would recommend The umbrellas of Cherbourg and American in Paris. Leslie Caron est tres chic! Lovely outfit! I adore the belt.

Shoaib Ishrat said...

Look so gorgeous just love your all pictures..

Kristina said...

You've got pretty style, so I gave you Stylish Blogger Award! Look at my blog.

styleeast said...

When this popped up in my Bloglovin', my immediate thought was 'old Hollywood'! It suits you so perfectly, you look so elegant xxx

(ps - I've been a bit AWOL lately as my laptop broke but i'm back in business now!)

scientistchic said...

Minimalist schminimalist, your accessories are gorgeous, the hat in particular!

And won't someone please remember the shy zebras! (black, white.. and red all over... ba dum, patishhh?). x

Erica Abbiss-Biro said...

LOVED Liz Taylor and have dedicated a whole blog myself to her jewellery alone. She had a fascinating collection if you're interested in pieces of historical importance. Some date back to the 1600's! Takes 'vintage' to a whole other level.
www.thejewelleryloop.blogspot.com

polka dot said...

We just watched Cat on a Hot Tin Roof the other night! First time. (from LoveFilms). It was brilliant, Roz, you'd love it. Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor were otherworldly in their beauty, and the film really stands the test of time.

These photos are so gorgeous. It's funny: I don't normally like black white and red - a prejudice from my best friend's teenage bedroom (hers was really dark - goth) but my god, these are the most beautiful shots.

It's funny: before I started my blog, my first collection of streetshots - Jan 2009 - it seemed everyone was wearing that trilogy that week. That was the title of the layout I was submitting to newspapers, for the same reason.

Almost forgot why I came here! It's Jennifer's blog birthday (Style East: I see she's left a comment) and I did a post stealing her shot of you - plus one by me: http://tiny.cc/w0985

HOpe all's well - miss you - hope to see you soon, maybe next time we're up in Hereford. xx

Kate said...

Great photographs, but in this post I think your writing is the main thing I notice. The way you use words is amazing, you set an atmosphere and drag the reader in, I absolutely adore the way you write!
www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

Raez said...

stunning! i dont know anyone else who could pull off this sexy but proper look. the proportion of that dress really makes you look so slim and tall, although i bet you are in real life ;)

xx raez

sacramento said...

I adore Holliwood 40s fashion films so much.There are no dresses like them any more, ahhhhhhhhh.
Thank you a lot for your kind comment.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dilan Dilir said...

you look great :D

Lindsay said...

i love how you added pops of red to your black and white look! such a classic color combo

thestyle-child.blogspot.com

S. said...

You look so great, lovely, so cute style.

/S /
http:// mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

Carooly said...

I'm so jealous of that vintage belt. Its stunning against that black dress. In every photo and outfit and your modeling make it seem like there is so much more than that. Like every photo has its own identity and back story. Its pretty amazing. You could almost write a short story on each one! Amazing!

the Citizen Rosebud said...

You look so timeless and chic and amazing! I love the way you've styled it- like a classy 1970's movie star, a little YSL to me!

Ms.Fashionista said...

I love how you added the fab red shoes to a simple combo. So chic

Check out my new giveaway too!

www.alifeinthefashionlane.blogspot.com

xxx

Sigrid said...

Red lipstick and a black dress is so timeless simply beautiful! I dont know if you got my email I sent you recently but I am probably one of your biggest fans!

You inspire me, and my fashion, you are definitly a fashion roll model for me. =) thankyou so much for blogging and putting yourself out there! It is so cool to see!

Love Sigrid =) xxx

www.dancingsinginganddreaming.blogspot.com

Soccer Mom Style said...

Hi Roz,
There is nothing that would not look good on you... but this looks so simple and elegant.
I was just catching up on all your recent posts and just love all your new ensembles! You are a vintage princess!
xx
maya

Sarah said...

Just discovered your blog and you have a fantastic sense of style. I love!

I've mentioned you over on my blog, I hope you'll take a look.

Sarah-Leigh
http://sarah-leighsstylefiles.blogspot.com/2011/04/joseph-aw-1112.html