Wednesday, 27 April 2011

Follow the road through the yellow






Intense colours - they remind me of a Laurie Lee book. For some reason, whenever I think of 'When I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning' or 'Cider With Rosie' the descriptions seem to pulse in my imagination with yellows, reds and greens. These photos were taken after a family visit to the most incredible bookshop (a converted barn full of old stock and dusty tomes - with a whole floor for fiction, and shelf upon shelf of photography). On return, my mum commented that the 'light outside was perfect'. Usually when this sort of statement is made, I madly hurry upstairs so something can quickly be chosen to wear before the sun deserts us again. Maybe my subconcious was still on some literary-related level when I put together this ensemble (silk? layers? pleats? My future self spends her life in clothes like these while drinking countless cups of coffee and having interesting conversations in bookshops). But perhaps I am just overanalysing things!
The surprising continuity of warm weather over the last week has been quite shocking. I keep expecting it to disappear suddenly, leaving me stranded without the usual requisite cardigan somewhere in the middle of nowhere. However, the sun lived has lived up to its golden expectations, and I even managed to go swimming in a river last thursday.
One thing I like about sunny days is the shedding of the layers that usually go under any outfit - abandoning tights and long sleeved tops is most satisfying. Instead I have been enjoying floating around in various silk items whilst alternating between sunbathing and revision. This particular vintage seventies dress was bought by my mum from ebay. She had it for all of three seconds before I managed to sneakily smuggle it into my already bulging wardrobe. If my clothes were people, they would have probably died of asphyxiation by now.
Here I layered the silk shirt dress over a vintage pleated skirt from a market in Bristol, and a silk Monsoon vest. The belt is vintage, as is the bag in the first shot, and my grandma gave me the wooden bangles. These silver wedges were one of my first pairs of high heels, and I thought I had donated them to a charity shop ages ago. Nevertheless, my very clever mum thought they might be worth hanging on to - and she was right! I am smitten all over again.
My dad took the photos in a field near our house. It is one of the default locations we plump for if we can't be bothered to make a special visit somewhere, and yet it constantly amazes me how many times one expanse of land can change in a year. The yellow of this particular crop is remarkably on trend (daahling!), and also makes me think of vivid technicolour films such as 'The Wizard of Oz'.

I had an article published by IFB today, on the subject of Blogging Against Adversity - with special emphasis on blogging through my scoliosis surgery and beyond. I was ecstatic to see the finished piece up on the website, and if you have the time I would really appreciate some feedback.


49 comments:

Mom Fashion World said...

Nice outfit and colors.

http://momfashionworld.blogspot.com/

Marie @ Lemondrop Vintage said...

Wow, your article is very inspiring! Blogging from the heart can be a challenge, but your example is certainly impressive and shows great courage.

Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

olivia said...

Love your outfit + article!

Dale said...

Wow, such pretty photos. I really like the all the pics and the turqoise is a beautiful color on you.

Nice post
xoDale

adrielleroyale said...

Pretty color combos :)

Sigrid said...

beautiful outfit! i know isn't the weather suprisingly wonderful! =) but i want the rain! I love rain! <3

Natalie Suarez said...

gorgeous! i love that jade green color on u! :)

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

Fashionistable said...

I have tried to do a photoshoot in the yellow rape field on countless occasions now and it just never cam together. These are beautiful shots and your Mum was right about the light. Well done on your article, I have to go to bed now but will pop back to read it soon. Xxxx

AvaPilar said...

Beautiful photos, as always! I love the Technicolor-esq colors that pop out between the blue of your dress, the flowers, and your red lips. Reminds me of the colors in the Red Shoes!

The article you wrote is wonderful. It very eloquently captures a hard time in your life and I commend your courage in sharing it.
-Pilar

Steffys Pros and Cons said...

i love the layering of dresses, and your hair is fabulous!

<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

Saige said...

Everything about these photos is just fantasically beautiful; your hair, lipstick, dress, shoes. Not to mention the wonderful colours. Great post!

Love,
Deer. Lady

bonita said...

~ * ♥ * ~

I loved your IFB article Roz, it was very touching and powerfully written. You are an example to anyone out there blogging that you can share personal things and even though it's hard I am sure the rewards, whatever they may be, are worth it. Kudos to you for sharing!

Additionally, I love the colors of your dress. The yellow flowers provide a perfect backdrop.
: D

xox,
bonita of Depict This!
~ * ♥ * ~

SOFIA /ZHENYA ZHURAVLYOVA/ said...

lovely!

Lydia said...

I love the idea of layering these two pieces. Gorgeous setting.

The Thriftaholic (Leilani) said...

The colour of your dress is perfection and I like the idea of wearing it as an outer layer belted over the skirt & vest. I'm envious of your abundant sunshine, blue skies & blooming yellow flower fields! There has been plenty of rain here in Chicago and precious few flowers. This set of images remind me of old Kodachrome slides from the '50s and '60s.

Sally said...

you are gorgeous not only on the outside and with fashion, but you also are on the inside! love your hair-it's perfect. and that dress is gorgeous!

xox,

s

http://sorelleinstyle.blogspot.com

The Fancy Teacup said...

Your IFB article really touches the heart, it was a great piece. You look beautiful in that vintage dress from your mother, and the color of the jacket with the field background is gorgeous.

www.TheFancyTeacup.com
much love.

Hazelnut said...

I love the last photo. Your crouched position and facial expression is perfect! Plus, the angle of the shooting.

Shervin Nassi said...

AMAZING so nice and elegant and very direct and potent photography!
www.shervinsworld.com

Inspiration exists said...

You are not only very beautiful and stylish, but truly talanted in writing. Love the turquoise shirt dress and the pics, full of spring spirit and freshness. Your article is even more impressive, respect!

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

Ah to be amongst the yellow fields - reminds me of a still life painting and your dress offers the ideal contrast to the pastoral beauty. Off to read your article. xx

the nyanzi report said...

swimming in the river? oh my. beautiful writing and photography as always. thank you for brightening up my day.

Caitlin Rose said...

Absolutely beautiful photos!

xx

Caitlin Rose

Jessica said...

Love this the oversized shirt it works lovely!

http://chicgeekblogger.blogspot.com

Please take a minute to look at my boutique;
http://bitsforboffins.bigcartel.com

alexandratherese said...

Roz, your post on ifb was truly heartwarming and you sum up exactly why we are all on here blogging away and sharing the things that matter to us with each other. I've left a proper comment on ifb and have re-tweeted your article.

Alexandra Thérèse xx

www.alexandratherese.com

Junaluska said...

Turquoise and flower fields are two of my favourite things!

The article for IFB was great. I love the scoliodress, and you delicately handled sharing the news with your followers.

L'age moyen said...

I love the colour of this dress and the way you've layered it with the belt. I'm absolutely distracted by the flowering field of yellow. We've got nary a bud here in our part of the world. I'm as green as your dress with envy. ;)

Alice In Fashionland said...

Your hair is so beautiful. I like the outfit, very pretty!

Maycie After Five said...

Your photos are stunning. Found you on IFB. I absolutely found your post helpful and inspiring. Keep up the great work!

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

i love the contrast of the brilliant yellow flowers with the calm earthy sea-tone outfit. your hair is soo gorgeous!! and congratulations on your article being published! =)

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

Chelsea Lane said...

these are such great photos. loved the article, the colors here are fantastic!

xoxo

Ana Clara Selhorst said...

Hello, I'm Ana.
I love your blog!
He is very bom.Adorei photos, and your posts are really cool and interesting.
And I found this very different and fun posting.

Kisses,
Ana

Marta said...

Lovely! I love your blog, style and beauty!!!
You're beautiful and all your outfits are just LOVELY! I've got one question - how tall are you? Please, reply - I just wanna [ have to :) ] know!

Xoxo,

audreyisgirlofmydreams.blogspot.com

sophie foster said...

you are beautiful!
i love that outfit, your style is amazing!
xxx

Mouthwash said...

You are absolutely beautiful.


Amber
Ambersmouthwash

Sol.Iametti said...

i loved this post...wonderfully written, and beautiful pictures... you are completely stylish...

http://theindietrendy.blogspot.com

Yuuka said...

such a wonderful and gorgeous photos!!!!


Yuuka
http://yuuka-forget-me-not.blogspot.com/

maphi said...

this is beautiful xoxo

Shoe said...

What a stunning place to take photos and it looks lovely how you've matched the length of the dress and of the coat :)

Lucia said...

Beautiful photos - that bookshop sounds divine. That last photo - you should definitely be a model if you aren't already xx

www.whothefuckismickjagger.blogspot.com

Kate said...

I love the way you layered the shirt dress over the gorgeous skirt, the lengths are so perfect for eachother! Congratulations for getting your article published on IFB, thats amazing!! It's such a brilliant piece of writing and is written with such depth and meaning.
www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

ps said...

u r so beautiful,very nice hair

http://fashionbong.blogspot.com/

Julie Khuu said...

Beautiful bold shots of color in an amazing spring backdrop! love the styling, right down to those amazing brown touches! YOu look stunning as always hun!

xo-Julie

Haute Khuuture Blog

Roz G. said...

wow the green vest is gorgeous and I loved the idea of your taking inspiration from Laurie Lee's books, i love him :)
So here's the thing, I'm going to London this summer just for a weekend and I might go to Oxford briefly too and I was wondering whether you had any thrift shopping tips? Like any particular places you would recomend? I'd be ever so greatful
Fantastic pictures as always :)

Roz G. said...

wow your green vest is gorgeous and I loved the idea of your taking inspiration from Laurie Lee's books I love him :)
So here's the thing I'm going to London this summer for a weekend and I might visit Oxford briefly too and I was wondering whether you had any thrift shopping tips? Like any particular places you recommend? I'd be ever so grateful
Great pictures as always!

FALCO VERONICA said...

cute blog! I’ll follow you!
I have a fashion blog too, I hope u'll be one of my followers on bloglovin:-)
thanks:-)
VERONICA
http://lifegivemefashion.blogspot.com

Lo said...

Nice post and great pictures!
Great blog!
Following you!
http://comovestimos-lo.blogspot.com/

Autumn said...

What great photos! Gorgeous!
Loved your article!!!!
~
Autumn

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

shimmering colors- exquisite! it's pretty the way you "grounded" the blues with a neutral; i think this is the best way to wear colors.

i'll check out your article...i'm sure it's articulate and inspiring. :)

-Style Odyssey xo