Monday, 9 May 2011

The secret life of bees (Part 2)







I find it strange to be posting photos tinged with damp grey, while the light outside is cascading in through my bedroom windows. Nevertheless, the golden tone sprinked over today does match the spring-like feeling of these images, which make up the second part of my bee-inspired behind the camera shoot. I saw Shona again the other day, and enquired as to whether she might be interested in modelling again for me sometime. Her response? "Only if it's warmer". I can second that, especially when I remember how much my fingers resembled ice blocks by the time we had finished.
I pondered for a while about another bee related title, and after discarding the notion of calling it 'Flight of the seven million bumblebees' in homage to Black Books (a fantastic British comedy - if you love Dylan Moran, make it a priority to watch), I settled on something a little more literary inspired. I really enjoyed Sue Monk Kidd's book 'The Secret Life of Bees', and now own a wonderfully battered copy that was given to me by Jill. This, along with an iD Beekeeper inspired shoot that I have just remembered, makes this a post that is black and yellow and striped all over.
I guess it's one of those slightly cliched things, but I think there is something a little romantic about the idea of having a beehive or two in an orchard - alongside some meandering chickens and a vegetable plot. A typical rural idyll I guess - doesn't really relate to my life in the countryside much. We do have a small allotment, but the only thing it is growing at the moment is weeds. However, my mum and I were talking to a good friend yesterday, who said that although bee numbers are meant to be dwindling, he has had a ridiculously large surge in his swarms - to the point that he has had to donate a swarm to a neighbour. Very hopeful!

Now, to one lone (and rather elegantly dressed) bumblebee - Shona.

In the first few photos, she is wearing an underskirt from a charity shop, layered over her own black leotard and my yellow tights. The little gold shrug used to live in my dressing up box, and the gold shoes are from ebay. The necklace and belt are both from charity shops. One again, I enlisted Shona's very handy ballet skills for the photos.

The second ensemble was created from a customised dress (it used to be a floaty skirt, that I then cut 'arm holes' into), a woolly vintage scarf and a Laura Ashley charity shopped striped hat. The belt was given to me, the shoes were from ebay and the jewellery is vintage. Oh & the gloves are another remnant left over from my dressing up box - because everyone needs a pair of sparkly gold evening gloves.

The third is a yellow poloneck from a charity shop, along with a vintage necklace and the same gloves.

Now, I'm sure the ginger cat pictured is the closest I'll find to the 'Cheshire Cat' from Alice in Wonderland. Either he craves human attention, or is publicity hungry - as he methodically followed Shona and I all over the sprawling arboretum that I'd chosen as our location. Sometimes it was a case of running to one spot, quickly snapping some photos before the cat could catch up, and then moving on. Well Cheshire Cat, if you wanted some internet exposure, then here you go.

My first GCSE exam is tomorrow, so from now on the blog might be a little less active. Hopefully all the revision will pay off, and come the middle of June, I can start living again - although maybe with a few days for rest and recuperation first. I am looking forward to finishing highschool and heading off in the next phase of my education to a dynamic sixthform.

42 comments:

Ellie Jane said...

I love your photography posts, I think my favourite has to be the last, it looks justlike it's been taken from a film! And as always the outfits are impeccable!

Good luck in your exams, I'm not looking forward to trekking through the mass of exams I have waiting either, but I'm sure you'll do well!

Natalie Suarez said...

she is so beautiful and looks so tall! i can see why you love photographing her!

xoxo

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

Carys said...

Such beautiful pictures, the focus on that last one is perfect! Also, I am a massive Dylan Moran/Black Books fan!! Good luck in your exams!
From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

Libby said...

Good luck with your GCSEs! At my school it's all a bit crazy, with our teachers all telling us that we have to understand the pressure the year 11's are under. Frankly I'm just happy I've not got my maths test back yet because our Maths teacher is so preoccupied marking year 11 revision!
Love the colours in this outfit, and the fantastic tights.

Rick Forrestal said...

Terrific photos. I love your blog.
And the Shona "avec cat" photo is perfect!
Love your style....I better start following you.

Good luck on your exam.
Rick

le sorelle said...

what beautiful photos. i especially love the first shot - there is such a mystery to it, and the styling is perfect! best of luck on your exams!

-j
sorelle in style

alexandratherese said...

My favourite item here is the hat - great find! Thanks for both of your comments Roz - I guessed the first "anonymous" one was you when you referenced visiting Montmartre as a perfect alternative to revision - I wish it was possible! Agree about the newspaper dress - any chance you can remember when you wrote your post on it so I can see your interpretation? Best of luck with tomorrow's exam - I trust you'll be absolutely fine. I know it's the only way possible, but having gcses in Summer is cruel! Anyway, just focus on the lovely summer you can have without the stress of revision!

Alexandra xx

alexandratherese said...

Hi again Roz, just read your "Paper Doll" post from last year (I typed your blog address and 'Newspaper Dress' into google - the wonders of technology!) and I commend you for even attempting the feat of creating a newspaper dress! Yours looks great, I especially love the touch of the bow made out of the blue and white striped carrier bag! That Vogue shoot looks fantastic - the pink and white paper bag jacket with pockets is ingenious! It was the same thing about Gary Harvey that interested me - his use of mundane, everyday objects that get thrown away when they are still perfectly useful. Who knows, we might still see something that resembles this on the catwalk before the years out?!

efromwonderland said...

oh wow these pictures are really good :)! i love looking at your photograpy posts!

Caitlin Rose said...

that cat picture is like the best picture I've ever seen! I love it!

good luck on your exams!

Pearl Westwood said...

I was wondering about the very well trained cat, what a beauty he is and so considerate posing in the right place! Beautiful photos as always, I bet it looks like an episode of Top Model when you get all your friends in one room ;-)

Closet Fashionista said...

oh I love these! The photo with the kitty is soooo cute :D
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

I love these photos, especially the last one which is amazing. Love the colour of your tights too, they add a great pop without being too bright.

Steffys Pros and Cons said...

beautiful skirt, and i love the tights paired with the shawl!

<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

Sophie Loloi said...

Beautiful photos! and good luck on your exams!

xx

http://www.theparalleluniversee.blogspot.com

Gracie said...

oooh what cute photos, i love the first one!

Lucy, Dear Fish said...

I was just looking at your blog and thinking how wonderful this photoshoot is, when surprise, I saw your comment on mine! Funny how the world works!
The second outfit is amazing, I'm feeling quite inspired and have to restrain myself from going to cut arm holes in all of my long skirts! Oh, and I am very excited to hear the good news about the bees. I can't wait for the day when I have masses of space and can keep bees myself.
Best of luck on the GCSEs!

Marija said...

Beautiful photos!!!
You look just great ;)!

the nyanzi report said...

Simply the best pictures I have seen all day. Great writing too.

San said...

First: best of luck for your exams. You'll rock them and don't worry about the blog.

Secondly, I do love the picture with the cat, it is perfection in itself. One can't plan stuff like that. LOVE IT. I also like the first and the third picture. Though I'm generally no fan of yellow tights. Yellow is a difficult colour to wear, at least for me.

Thirdly thanks for stopping by and yes, creativity on Sundays is a must and they are never long enough. Happy to make you smile. (My secret goal for life, making people smile or even better laugh. ;)

Again, BEST OF LUCK FOR THOSE GCSEs!!!

Kate said...

Love how you used the underskirt, it looks amazing! I absolutely adored that book!
Good luck with your exams, for your English if you write half as brilliantly as you write on here then you'll get an A*! Thanks for commenting on my blog!
www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

FANTASTIC!

Good luck for GCSE's :)

http://chicgeekblogger.blogspot.com/

Please take a minute to look at my vintage boutique;
http://bitsforboffins.bigcartel.com/

Lala said...

Oh I love that cat photograph, and I adore that hat. I've been searching for a similar one with to no avail. Good luck with your GCSE's - mine start soon too, sadly.

:)

Penny Dreadful said...

The last photograph looks like a still from an eerie but beautiful 70s film. Good luck with your exams :) x

styleeast said...

This post is a joy, beautifully shot and beautifully written. That photo with the cat is so cute. Lovely. Good luck with your exams, I'll keep my fingers crossed! xxx

Adam said...

These are so wondrous...beautiful.
xx
thehausofblog.blogspot.com/

Kelly-marie said...

Such beautiful pictures! The Kitty picture is my favourite I love the composition. Good luck with your exams. xx

Grace said...

Amazing dress! ♥

Lydia said...

I love the one with the cat. These photos are gorgeous.

adrielleroyale said...

These are such great shots, I love the compositions, poses and of course the fashion. :)

Britt+Whit said...

how cute are you! great photos! Love your style and good luck on your exams!

love from San Francisco,

Britt+Whit

Jazzy E (hivenn) said...

Simply wow. Really really amazing. x hivenn

The Foolish Aesthete said...

That tiered, black skirt in the first photo is gorgeous! Love the whole setting too. I just posted more dance photos on mine and am working on the product of our ballet photo shoot. We dance next week!

SarahRose said...

RE: "I love the idea that everyone wearing ballet style pumps this summer could suddenly, simultaneously break into dance. Wouldn't it be a great moment?"

HELL YES! Ha ha, your comment made me chuckle, thank you. There is a lovely ballet theme going on in the first two photos here, I can see :). Where is this? It looks so lovely, and I can just half imagine how gorgeous it would look when all the flowers come out into bloom.

Good luck in your exam.

Rose. X

Ruta, Look Ugly in a Photograph said...

These photos are incredible, I especially love the one with you and the cat. So cute!

Vintage Vixen said...

Good luck with your GCSEs!
The photographs are so beautiful, timelessly elegant and I adore the picture with the ginger cat. xxx

Fashionistable said...

Shot No.4 has made my jaw drop. Simply beautiful Roz very well caught. I was in Edinburgh Monday and Tuesday so just catching up now. Hope the exams have started well. You are in the home stretch now. Good Luck. Love your styling and style influences as always. Great to hear some bees are multiplying so well they are swarming. We keep the back of our garden wild to encourage them. Xxxx

rouli said...

wow dear

greattttttttt post and blog here!

kiss//rouli

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Nothing says spring like yellow, whatever the weather. I have a special softness for anything including a Shona, as that is my sister's name. : )

I hope your revision went well and that you'll be back to blogging in no time!

Evi said...

Wonderful photos...it's like a Vogue photoshoot!! Well done!!

www.thenotebookofafashionlover.blogspot.com

Lavender Youngster said...

these are beautiful! Honestly love looking at them :)

Ms LadyCakes said...

The shoot reminds me of The Secret Garden and Alice in Wonderland. Dreamy!

Instylation Blog