Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Off into Wilderness







There's a difference between the imagined version of a trip, and the reality: primarily in that in the imagined version, we see only the end result – getting to the destination - rather than the time spent packing and travelling. We look forward to the arrival, trying to peer over and beyond the logistical planning required to get us there. But behind every brilliant holiday there is probably an evening of frantically running around shrieking “I can’t find any matching clean socks!”
When going to a music festival, the forethought required ramps up a notch. Tent? Sleeping bag? Cash? Tickets? Ample dressing up materials? All sorts of small things become very important: the pump needed to blow up mattresses, or that easily losable small wind-up torch that you know was kept in the drawer of the dresser in the hall, but has gone missing just when needed. Bags are plumped out and the car is filled. Everything required for living in a field for three days must be accounted for.
Luckily it’s rather easy to forget this rush once it’s done. It gets brushed aside. There might be the slightest of inverse echoes post-event when sorting out muddy boots and dirty laundry. But these are just like the book ends scaffolding the main experience. Necessary but not worth dwelling on.
In this instance, that main event is Wilderness Festival. I've spent this week in preparation for a magnificent-looking few days of music, food, theatre and literary events. I have amassed my outfits: velvet mini-dresses, spangled shrugs, silk camisoles, sturdy shorts, translucent fabrics. Underpinning each of these layered looks there’ll be a pair of Hunter wellies – an Original short pair in chocolate and a long orange Headliner pair (pictured here). As long as I can both tramp and dance, I’ll be content.
It’s hard to pull out a definitive list of favourites from the line-up, but things I can’t wait for include seeing singer Sam Lee, eating foraged food for Sunday lunch in the St John Dining Tent, popping across to the Idler Academy stage and swimming in the lakes. A great array of sounds, sights and activities await.

Thanks to Hunter for sending me off to Wilderness festival. 

In anticipation of festival-style costumes, my clothes above are a rag-tag mix of second hand silk and linen. All are from charity shops apart from the vintage turban-style hat, which is a rather dazzling Christian Dior number. It was originally owned by my mum's late Great Aunt Violet (which is just the sort of name for someone in possession of a silk Dior turban). 



19 comments:

Anupriya DG said...

The vibrant red with the dashing blue seems to shout out loud from amongst the green of the wilderness! And you are right Roz, that turban looks as if it's MADE for someone named Violet! :)

Have fun at the festival!

Rachel, Cold Knees said...

How exciting- both going to Wilderness and the turban that is.. I wish I had such interesting sounding ancestors who could pass on such gems ;) Enjoy x

Helen Le Caplain said...

That turban is fabulous! Great little look you've pulled together :)

Www.mancunianvintage.com

Sandy Joe said...

That silk turban is incredible, what a wonderful hand-me-down.

x The Pretty Secrets

Melanie said...

If people in Vancouver dressed for the wilderness like you do, I'd have to keep my big trap shut. Never break up with Hunter - he not only makes fab footwear but sends you to fantastic artsy fests in the wild. If you do give him the boot, send him my way, I'll break it to O gently.
I sometimes like the journey more than the destination. I'm thrilled by places of transition such as airports, hotel lobbies. I love your Dior turban. "Dance and tramp"!

Emalina said...

Gosh so Hunter are paying for you to go to Wilderness festival? How exciting you lucky thing! Have a brilliant time.

You're in a perfect festival outfit here, colourful and practical and fun, with the turban as the most wonderful finishing touch. Enjoy!

Bella Q said...

First off loving the red rainboots! Swoooooon!

Have a fun time at the Festival!
I am packing this morning for a trip of my own- my favorite cousin's getting married and it's sort of a camping trip- trying to pack for both cuteness and practicality!

Tabet said...

Hey,
great pics and a sweet outfit!!!
Love
Tabea

http://wolkedrei.blogspot.de/

Vanessa, Take only Memories said...

Your hunters are so lovely! The red is fantastic! Enjoy :)

Alex said...

Impressice pictures..

trixiebacon said...

Look out for my friend Rosa Bloom at the festival!

http://www.rosabloom.com/

his_girl_friday said...

Beautiful photos! I want wellies!

vintagevixenarts said...

What fun you must be having! Weekend mini trip's are the best! It's just the refreshment we need to deal with another week! And as you do,Violet had great taste!

Jean at www.drossintogold.com said...

Magazine-worthy photos! The colors are spectacular and you are beyond fabulous! I'm not much of an outdoors woman but I could be converted, given great style like this. Have a glorious time. Xxoo

Zoé said...

I love the contrasting blues and reds. I think it's very pretty and interesting too how the turban and wellington boots (You can't beat Hunter) go together. :)

FASHION TALES said...

Your description of wonderful outfit selections sounds perfect for such an artful event. I think I still have my green wellies that I used to wear going about my parent's garden. I love the bold colour in your outfit, as well as the beautiful styling. And, the festival sounds amazing! /Madison :-)

Ivana Džidić said...

lovely article:) Great outfit for festivals.

Izzy DM said...

Music festivals are a lot of fun! I hope you had a great time, and I loved the vivid scarlet of this outfit and the turban a la Ingres :).

The Foolish Aesthete said...

Great Aunt Violet had great taste. And so do you! I love the outfits and photographs from this and your other post with Flo. I can't say I've ever been cool enough to attend a music festival, but can imagine how the infectious the revelry is. Fabulous outfits! - J xx