Thursday, 8 May 2014


Photography: Nicole Nodland
Styling: Valentine Fillol-Cordier
Make-up: Kay Montano
Hair: Anna Cofone 

Something very exciting happened last month. The first issue of Violet magazine came out. Set up by Leith Clark (previous editor of Lula), it's a sumptuous mixture of aesthetics and intelligent commentary. Fashion shoots rub shoulders - or rather, pages - with interviews on feminism, femininity, education, art and life experience.

I should profess a little bias here. I'm Junior Editor on the magazine, with some of my writing included in the first issue. The image above is taken from a debutante inspired shoot put together by the marvellous make-up artist Kay Montano. As quoted in the magazine, "Violet presents portraits to celebrate girls coming of age as women by way of achievement. The rite need not be grandiose, just brave, kind or curious." You can see the entire feature on Kay's Tumblr. I wrote up the biographies of all involved, slightly in awe of the bold, smart, beautiful assortment of women. 

Also, on the back page of the magazine there's a short essay/ eulogy of mine on the Czech new wave film director Věra Chytilová, who died recently. If you have a spare hour and a quarter, her brilliantly surreal (and best known) work 'Daisies' is available on Vimeo

When I received my copy I sat down with a coffee, ready to pore over the contents. Then I realised that actually, I wanted to take it in at a slower pace - and so spent the next few days returning every now and then for features such as Molly Parkin's observations and pictures of Daphne Selfe. As demonstrated by my obligatory Instagram snap below, it was perfect dinner time reading. 

Kudos to all involved - particularly Leith Clark, Kay Montano, Luella Bartley, Amanda de Cadenet, Stephanie La Cava and Zoe Kazan. They've done a glorious job. It's not only a satisfaction, but a privilege to have had a very small part in this publication - and I can't wait to see what's next. 


Jess said...

Congratulations! It must have been amazing to work with Leith Clark, what a dream! So far I've only read the Molly Parkin interview which was fascinating. I had never heard of Nova but now I want to go and find a copy. Can't wait to read the rest of Violet with a big mug of tea.

Nadinoo said...

This is wonderful Roz! So proud of you. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy. x

Willow said...

How absolutely marvellous! That certainly is exciting news. Violet magazine looks wonderful and I will endeavor to get my hands on a copy.
That photo of you is stunning, as are all the other portraits seen on the Tumblr link that you provided. The excellent work of all involved resulted in some truly glorious images.
I too am excited to see where both you and Violet magazine go. Kudos to you on such an amazing achievement. Xx

PS sorry if this comment (or a similar comment)was already posted by me, computer did a...err...thing.

Ivana Split said...

It always makes me happy to see when good things as happening in publishing:) Best of luck and congratulations on you junior editor position:)

You look lovely on the photograph!

Vix said...

How exciting! That photo of you is beautiful and your food looks delicious.
I'm not much of a magazine reader but I'll definitely try and track Violet down. xxx

Weronika Matyjas said...

Congratulation! I am so excited for you! i just cannot wait to see what will be your next big career step! wish you all the best!xx

Victoria said...

Congrats! Very exciting!Your photograph is stunning..and you are a super-talented soul..all the best! Many Congrats!

Daniella Golden said...

Looks really interesting, beautiful picture :)


Helen Le Caplain said...

Stunning photo of you missus! Congrats on the first issue of the mag, will have to keep my eyes peeling in my usual indie mag shop :)

Carlota Antolin Vallespin said...

You are amazing. Is it a simple comment? But it is the truth.
You in the picture...I cannot describe it in english! But I'll try it: You look out of time. You look young and old. Innocent but mature. Actual but ancient. You look ethereal.

And...I can not believe that you are writing your first book...oh! oh, I need to read it

Bridget said...

Oh wow you look absolutely stunning in that photo!!! Violet sounds like a magazine I would very much want to read, with "aesthetics and intelligent commentary" and feminism.

Closet Fashionista said...

That photo of you is amazing! And congratulations on the magazine, that's super exciting!
I'll have to check out that video at some point, it's always so sad when a great talent passes away.

Melanie said...

How exciting! This a magnificent, timeless photo, as are the other photos which I saw through the link you provided here.
I suppose you have created the miraculous 30-hour day to fit in all the wonderful things coming your way. This magazine will take the world by storm, I just know it.
So happy for you!


This is most exciting news for you Roz! What a lovely photograph as well. I will have to check the Violet publication out. Your wings are certainly flying high! :)
Take care,

christian said...


Natalie Suarez said...

EEEP! I am so so proud of you! That image is absolutely stunning and should be framed!!

Hope to see you in London again soon babeee can't get over that gorgeous shot! x

Citizen Rosebud said...

What an exciting launch of what looks to be quite the tantalizing endeavor? Junior editor, you say? I predicted you an editor by 20 so I say KUDOS! Daisies is also available via Hulu Plus- and you've now incited me to get going and give it a watch. You look lovely and congrats on being part of something that looks amazing.

Millicent Wilkinson said...

Such a fantastic opportunity! It sounds like an exciting magazine and the photo of you is gorgeous as always!