Tuesday, 28 July 2015

I Capture the Castle







“I write this sitting in the kitchen sink. That is, my feet are in it; the rest of me is on the draining-board, which I have padded with our dog’s blanket and the tea-cosy.”

It’s years since I’ve read the book in its entirety, but that opening has lodged itself somewhere in my brain – as brightly imprinted as the dye Topaz uses to turn all of the Mortmain family’s clothes various shades of green. I’m talking, of course, of I Capture the Castle – Dodie Smith’s magnificent novel published in 1949. Set in a rambling, crumbling, ever-so-ramshackle castle in Suffolk, it follows the fortunes of Cassandra (17) and Rose (21), their father (a once-successful novelist), their stepmother Topaz (an artist’s model with a propensity for wandering around the countryside wearing nothing but her boots), and younger (rather precocious) brother Thomas. They’re broke. There are leaks everywhere. And two rather intriguing American brothers have just moved in nearby…

It was just one among the many books I read in my early teens – a glorious period where I gobbled anything and everything on our shelves. Adult classics, teen chick lit, fantasy, thrillers (I made my way through every single one of the Alex Rider series), new proof copies that my dad brought back from events by the boxful, old tattered books that had belonged to my mum. There was little differentiation between genre or status, an almost delightful lack of snobbery. I just read and read and read.

It’s odd now to return to some of those books. Many feel incredibly cringey or dated. A few are appallingly written. Plenty are perfectly entertaining, but I have no need to reread them. A select few are gem-like. These ones are as wonderful as on first encounter. Perhaps more so – a few more years of aging allowing access to layers or depths that were previously closed off. I Capture the Castle is definitely in that category. I picked it up again recently after watching the film version on a whim. I’d all but forgotten the plot, marvelling afresh at the story (and the clothes, but we’ll get on to that soon…)

I wish I could say I’ve had the chance to reread the entire thing since. Sadly not. I’ve just dipped in and out. Full immersion will happen at some point. But in all the parts I’ve skimmed there’s a perfectly pitched balance of wit, charm and self-consciousness. Cassandra’s voice – for of course the entire story is mediated through her pen as she makes each journal entry – is sometimes naïve, sometimes insightful, never twee, and often wonderfully dry. It’s a story about marriage and money, status, idealized romance (well, idealism full-stop), sibling relationships, growing up, and writing. And housing it all, the castle – complete with a moat. The castle that we can all simultaneously wish we lived in, and recognize as being totally unsuitable for family life.

It’s a dominating presence in the film too – each scene gorgeous, even when it’s raining and everyone is grumpy and there are holes in the ceiling. Candlelight and artfully disheveled 30s costumes help. Every single bias cut and knitted jumper and set of stockings is glorious. Rose (played by Rose Byrne), all big eyes and even bigger red hair, is kitted out in wide-legged trousers, berets, gorgeous little dresses, and one rather amusingly froufrou ball-gown. Cassandra (played by Romola Garai) is magnificently gauche – with a straight bob, loose dresses, baggy cardigans, mary-janes, and a journal often in hand. Topaz (played by Tara Fitzgerald) prefers a complete lack of clothes, but still has a great line in all things floaty and layered. The entire thing is a visual delight.

It’s that delight I wanted to reflect here, complete with my own castle (well, ok, obviously not mine) to play around with. I decided to pay homage to all that green dye with this pistachio coloured cardigan, and a vintage dress that somehow just bridges the gap between nightie and acceptable daywear. Plus, I had the most important accessory – a notebook. However, unlike Cassandra, mine isn’t a detailed account of each day. Instead it’s a scattered mix of lists, ideas, jottings and the odd poem. And I’ve never written anything in it whilst perching in the kitchen sink – more’s the shame…


9 comments:

AVY said...

Queen of her castle.

/ Avy
http://MyMotherFuckedMickJagger.blogspot.com



Holly Rose said...

I'll have to read the book! Lovely post xxx
Holly x

http://the-twins-wardrobe.blogspot.com/

The Heba Blog said...

I always love your blog photos! Bring me back every single time!

Heba xx ││ The HebaBloglovinInstagram

Ivana Split said...

You are making me want to read that book so badly! These castle images are superb. Such a wonderful location. You look utterly beautiful in that bohemian dress. Am I calling it bohemian because anything white and long these days is called so...well, who knows, but it really is a lovely dress.

When I was a teen, I also read anything that came near my reach and I don't regret it. Reading has many benefits and not all of them need to be intellectual or artistic. On a funny note, I also read one of books from Alex Ridler series. It was in a pile of second hand books my friend bought for me. Despite its obvious flaws, I actually think I might use it for teaching grammar. Some sentences from it are quite useful for that....that is if I can get a position teaching again.

Danielle Olavario said...

What a gorgeous dress! <3 also I love re-reading my favorite childhood books when I'm a few years older. Growing up just gives me a whole new perspective of the book!

FASHION TALES said...

Firstly, these photos are incredibly gorgeous, the scenery reminds me of Northumberland. Yes, of course your outfit is absolutely acceptable whether a nightie or day dress, you seem to make it look elegant both ways. It's always a pleasure rereading old favourites.

Vix said...

Goodness me, you've brought one of my favourite books to life. I need to re-read it again. xxx

Lola Byatt said...

Oh i absolutely loved reading this! It makes me want to read the book which sadly I never have. There's a beautiful hardcover available at waterstones but after reading your tweet (and many many other brilliant, recommending reviews) I bought yes, please by Amy Pholer. Can I buy another book? and more importantly, could I enjoy it as an adult? I do love going back to the books I read as a child/teen and having the emotions I had then come back. X

The Magpie said...

Absolutely stunning. I've followed your blog for years and years and this is one of my favorite photo series yet. I wish I was able to explore such a beautiful place!