Friday, 3 July 2015

Tables and Chairs







I like unusual objects in incongruous places. That’s probably why I adore Tim Walker so much – entranced by the beds in the woods, the aeroplanes in stately homes, the tents in libraries. Many fashion photographers play around with these kinds of juxtapositions, making the ordinary slightly more bizarre or brilliant by introducing unlikely clashes of prop and location. Tim Walker just happens to do it with a particularly vivid, striking type of flourish. He’s made it his trademark, encompassing everything from a living room with a stream running through the middle to Lily Cole dangling on a huge fishhook above a river.

That kind of use of location – of making it new and odd – is also what I found so appealing about Punch Drunk’s The Drowned Man. Set over several floors in an abandoned warehouse, each level was transformed into something different: ballrooms, film sets, forests and deserts among them. You could wander between each in turn, stumbling across rooms full of sand and desks and birdcages, or locating the secret passage at the back of the wardrobe. It was my favourite kind of interactive theatre, the audience turned voyeurs as we craned forward to follow a lover’s argument or watched the doctor at work. It was less an unusual juxtaposition, more a suspending of usual boundaries - space made strange.

Perhaps my favourite example of incongruity though isn’t something I ever saw, but only heard about recently. Back when my dad was 25 and living in Bristol, he and a friend decided to do breakfast with a twist. Rather than your average dining table/ kitchen set-up, they took their morning meal to a nearby city centre roundabout - setting up a table and chairs complete with tablecloth, food, teapot and cutlery on this small patch of grey concrete. Both wore dressing gowns and read newspapers. You can see pictorial evidence here. A local radio station got involved, asking whether it was “political?” The police stopped to ask what on earth they were doing. My dad’s answer? “We wanted to cheer up the commuters.” This is what I appreciate most. It was street performance, for sure, but there was no intent beyond the two of them doing it because they could, because they were young and playful and thought it would be funny.

I’ve never managed anything on that scale. I’ve taken tables and bookshelves into fields. I’ve hung dresses in trees. I’ve got friends to wander along with picture-frames over their shoulders. These feel like tame offerings though, usually solitary – surprising only the odd dog walker or enthusiastic hiker. Maybe I need to up my offerings, do things on a grander scale. Or maybe I can just appreciate what others have achieved, and occasionally do my bit by wafting around crumbling Welsh cottages in lace wedding dresses, just for kicks…

Here's me in the slightly more prosaic setting of our garden, wearing all second-hand - including a vintage sixties suede pea-coat I nicked from my mum. I'm now off to go sit out there again with a glass of wine in one hand, and a poetry book in the other. Not really incongruous, but ever so delightful.  

9 comments:

Ivana Split said...

what your dad did (together with a friend of his) was brilliant! This story brought a smile on my face and seeing the photo put a big grin on my face. I bet they did cheer up lots of people:).

I haven't been particularly brave when it come to taking photographs in an unusual way either...like yourself, I can only suprise hikers (or wild horses...but the wild horses gotten used to me by now;)

I do really like your vintage dress...as usual you look wonderfully stylish and totally unique.

The Heba Blog said...

You are so chic! I love it! So vintage yet modern. Great twist!

Heba xx || http://www.californiaroadtrippin.blogspot.com

FASHION TALES said...

You can always tell a Tim Walker work of art, his signature is just evident and a favourite of mine as well. I love the concept from your father--sitting dressed in your sleeping gown with a full breakfast spread and furniture in unlikely place. All of the colours here are blended so beautifully; the neutrals with the bold blue dress and your smart styling doesn't hurt either.

Melanie said...

I love that your dad did that, and importantly, that there is photographic proof! Heh. Just for kicks is probably the excuse for some of life's greatest artworks.
Beautiful photos in the garden. Mm, love that pea-coat.

Helen Le Caplain said...

Looking lovely (as ever). Love those sandals... and the dress... and the coat ;)

Ivana Split said...

sometimes we are at the mercy of the elements, but there is much to learn from that as well.

Vix said...

I've got a friend who does the same as your Dad did every year for Xmas dinner! The Facebook photos are brilliant!
Love the photos, the dappled shade, those gorgeous platforms and luscious suede coat. xxx

Lally said...

I remember you posting about your dad's wonderful foray into street performance on instagram a while ago. Such a wonderful idea. i truly love it when people do incongruous things just for kicks! It is always wonderful to witness something delightfully out of place. I have no doubt that he brightened up that morning for Bristol's commuters! When I was a teenager we used to enjoy dragging my friends sofa out on to the street. We would then lounge on it reading, and slurping coffee and waving at passers by (much to their amusement). You've inspired me to be silly; I think I might have to employ some table and chairs and find a roundabout soon! I love your ensemble, especially that beautiful coat (I'd have nicked it too!) XX

Lola Byatt said...

the story about your dad has cheered me up, perfect anecdote to accompany this gloomy tuesday!