Monday, 20 March 2017

These Shoes Were Made for Walking










Recently, my favourite pair of boots fell apart. I have only myself to blame. Having bought them second hand, I lived in them for months – occasionally substituting in other pairs, but mainly assuming these black leather beauties would see me all the way through autumn and winter and back into the sunshine. They were tough boots, solid boots, boots easily relied on for supporting a good stomp. And stomp I did. I stomped and stomped – up hills, along rivers, weaving time and again across London - until the leather cracked beyond repair and suddenly my toes were on show (there’s nothing quite like a green sock poking out the end of a thick-soled boot to make you feel like you’re an impoverished orphan in a bad TV adaptation of a Dickens novel).

See, once upon a time these boots would have been all stiff and shiny: waiting in a shop for the right foot to mold to. They wouldn’t have had creases in the surface like laughter lines, or slightly fraying elastic on the right ankle. But by the time I got them, they’d already been gently broken in. I then wore them until they were a pliable second skin. They were perfect. Not the showiest of footwear, but understated and stoic enough to allow me to bound around on foot all day without feeling impeded. They offered an ease, a certain flexibility, the luxury of not having to feel slowed down in any way. I’m sad to see them go.

See, much as I’m happy to change my style of dress radically day to day – from androgynous shirts and tartan trousers to floaty seventies style nymph and back again - I’m not such a shape-shifter when it comes to shoes. In an ideal world I’d have one of those disgustingly aspirational closets you see in old rom-coms, with a whole wall just for footwear. There’d be every colour, every style. I’d have loafers and thigh high heels (still on my dream to-buy list) and more beautiful flats than I knew what to do with. There’d be Derbies and Oxfords and platforms and wedges and sandals and even, maybe, just maybe, some trainers I actually enjoyed wearing (stranger things have happened). Leather, velvet, suede, plastic, canvas – I’d own it all.  

But in this world, I daily rotate between the same, few trusty pairs of boots and brogues - the clincher being that I have to know I wouldn’t find them frustrating if I wanted to spontaneously walk for several miles. It’s the one item of clothing where comfort trounces everything. Of course I own my fair share of silly, wonderful flats, and pretty heels that allow me to tower above everyone’s heads, but they only really come out for shoots (or end up being hastily changed into just outside a venue). If it’s for anything other than looking glam for a short amount of time though, then it’s pragmatism or bust. Give me a pair of shoes I can’t pound a pavement in at high speed, and I end up miserable.   

In fact, I was keenly reminded of this last week when I made the mistake of wearing a new pair of men’s brogues for a two-day London trip. Gorgeous? Yes. Making me feel just the right, suave amount of Katharine Hepburn/ Marlene Dietrich/ Vita Sackville-West if she’d ever worn brogues and a short silver slip? (I mean, unlikely, I know). Of course. A wise choice for an afternoon wandering from Euston all the way to Bermondsey, with plenty of pit-stops along the way? Oh god no. I’m not being melodramatic when I say that first thing the next morning I had to limp my way to Oxford Street to find something – anything – that would leave my toes less lacerated.

All of that aside though, I still adore footwear that verges on the decadent and the downright ridiculous: these pink bowed confections being a case in point. They actually tick most of my criteria anyway, being surprising sturdy and comfortable, despite looking like they’re made from candy-floss, prom dress off-cuts, and a five year old’s sketch of what a shoe should look like. And though I might not be able to stomp in them with the same force as some battered old leather boots, at the very least, they suit larking around a hill-top with some wild ponies for company.

My lovely photographer friend Dvora gave me these shoes last summer. They were originally from ASOS. Everything else is second-hand: this frothy shirt being vintage Liberty. And I realized it’s rather appropriate that I’m clutching some Plath books as props here (as you do), given that tomorrow evening I’m chairing an event at Waterstones Gower Street with Greta Bellamacina, Sabrina Mahfouz, Deanna Rodger, and Hollie Mcnish. We’ll be talking poetry, politics, gender, and plenty else. Come along!

5 comments:

Omnipresent Fashion said...

Really cool pictures!!

Porcelina said...

I am one for spontaneous walking too - I always wear brogues or boots and change into heels at the office. If I was rich I'd wear heels and get taxis. But then I'd probably become obese from lack of exercise ;)

Carlota Antolin Vallespin said...

I am the same when it comes to shoes. I have big trouble finding shoes that I truly like: confortable, reliable, that make me feel confident and slightly fashionable. And while I say this, I am leaving apart the fact that most of the shoes nowadays are just shit and dissolve in a couple of months. So you have to invest on them. Buy good quality. Seek and find the right ones.
So when I finally find The Ones, I used them every day until they cannot handle it anymore. I bring them to the cobbler as much times as possible, to enlarge their life.
At the moment my Ones are my "country" boots (you can see them all the time in my blog posts or my instagram). I am using them already for three years or so and I brought them to the cobbler three times.

For some time, years ago, because all of what I just said I simply took the hiking boots as The Ones making them the item that defines my personality. I used them for literally everything, even to go to dance to clubs. And damm, I felt always so sexy and strong.
I recall now some anecdote about them: I was in a (shitty) club dancing with my cousins and it was at this time of my life when I felt like a goddess with no limits on my power. The Dj was clearly impressed by me and my dancing. He told me that I was really sexy (which I knew already haha) but then he went on and make a huge mistake. He said that the only "problem" were my shoes. That I would be perfectly sexy if I would wear high heels.
When I heard that I laugh at loud and I told him: You don't understand, men. I am actually so sexy for not wearing high heels.


PD: The look of today is great. I want those trousers for my self. The pictures are great too, like a magazine shooting.

20somethingboozer said...

Rear post, Rosalind. My shoes are rarely appropriate, favouring heels above everything (I don't own a pair of flats), However, when we got a dog, I conceded that tramping across muddy fields in velvet stilettos wasn't going to fly so I purchased my most sensible shoes yet - black, leather ankle boots with a low but chunky heel. Turns out they work great for gigs too as I can bounce around and don't care too much if they get covered in lager. Win win.
www.wholelottarosiesite.wordpress.com

Theresa said...

Can relate. I have a pair of lace-up ankle boots that I've worn on and off since high school (note: I haven't been in high school since the 90s). Chunky heel, Victorian-ish, never go out (or in) of style. And sadly, I think their days are numbered. The leather's flaking away on the inside.

Fare thee well, my good shoes. I shall never find your like again.